Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,956 Posts

Re: Common Core Math in U.S.A. Schools

Oh, but the schools DO care about the methods used, at least in my experience and from what I hear from parents.

About common core, I'm not sure if an academic came up with the idea, as the following article says, or if it was the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, but maybe the Gates and Jeb Bush (I have read in a separate article) just promoted it.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2014/...mmon-core-math

Personally, I think certain standards of teaching should be uniform across the US, due to so many families moving from one place to another. But why such a radical change?

Thanks

Hi

Oh, but the schools DO care about the methods used, at least in my experience and from what I hear from parents.

That is very frightening. If true means schools are turning into fascist institutions more worried about turning out drones than creative free thinking individuals.

there should be and is a standard set of indicators for every subject and class and grade. All students should meet the indicators. But should be up to local teachers and school board how they achieve that goal.

One size does not fit all in education .

Thanks

It was that way when I was in school, and we all know how long ago that was. I remember once solving a math problem but didn't get credit because I hadn't used the correct method. I lived in Kentucky at that time.

Thanks

Hi

I guess I must be much older. My school wasn't like that " Northern Missouri". I remember doing extra work in 7th grade in different base systems. Out of a graduating class of 123 over 100 went on to college. In college I was allowed to challenge some basic classes and take final so wouldn't have to waste time setting through boring class.

My how times have changed. there are more administrators than teachers . the poor teachers spend more time keeping the log books up to date so administration can see as they walk by. than teaching

Thanks

I think I may actually be a bit older than you, khonrai, based on some posts you've made. The point is that each state is different. The idea of each states teaching methods being much the same is a good idea, in my opinion, even though common core has been a failure. The standards are just too strange.

We moved from one state to another where many things were different about the school system when I was ten years old. It was quite an adjustment.

Thread Information