PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Buying a mobile phone in Thailand
    Thanks
    If I buy a mobile phone in Thailand will it work in the UK? I want something really modern that no one has in the UK but will it work?

Thanks
    Mobile phones are not necessarily cheaper in Thailand than they are in the UK. I was considering buying one here and using it back in the UK but I am also not sure if it would work.

I have read on the Net that someone did buy a nokia 7210 unlocked for any network in Bangkok for £135. Price over in uk was approx £249 depending on network at the time. He was able to put his o2 pay as u go sim in and it worked fine.

Mobile phones in Thailand are the GSM type so if your sim card fits into a GSM phone then it should be ok. Bring over a sim card and check the sim card fits before you buy.

Mobile Phones in Thailand are not locked so in theory they should work in other countries. One thing you will need to consider is that Thai phones often come with thai language so you need to make sure you can use roman script too.

The best place to look and buy is in the MBK centre (Bangkoks largest shopping centre spans five floors and has shops, market stalls and a department store). If you go to MBK you can take your pick from about fifty stores on the fourth floor that sell mobiles and they also sell some used models which are lots cheaper.

I know of tourists who have done it the other way round (using uk phone in thailand) and bought a sim card here in Thailand and then paid to have their phones unlocked (some phone companies lock their phones to stop you putting other companies sim cards in). All for a very cheap price. Unlocking it, plus a Thai SIM-card costs about 250 Baht alltogether.

\"I touch the future. I teach.\"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SaV @ Aug. 20 2004,06:09)]If I buy a mobile phone in Thailand will it work in the UK? I want something really modern that no one has in the UK but will it work?
    You could find one in Thailand, but I can't guarantee. It won't differ much in price though, at least when you buy one of the popular brands like Nokia, Siemens, Samsung, etc.

If you want to buy new mobile phones that are much cheaper then you should go to Singapore. I compared some prices of electronics about 4 weeks ago and Singapore seemed to be cheaper than Thailand, probably because it's duty-free. However, if you want to buy cheap electronics of some unknown asian brand, then Thailand is the place to be.

Thanks
    Hi all, do any of you know any thai cellphone sites (in english) that tells you the price and models they sell?

Thanks

Thanks
    i purchased a mobile phone in thailand and brought it back to the US and it works like a charm... and i know it was expensive but it won't be out in america for a long time!

Thanks
    Just to confirm ALL of the popular brands purchased here will work in the UK. I have tried and tested various makes over the last few years.

Thread Information