Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

Re: Billy and the Fat Boys go to Chiang Mai.....

Quote Originally Posted by yy View Post
    David! All the talk about brackets are making my eyes water. What on heaven are they meant for?
    When you take a photo the camera decides on the best settings for what it sees an average exposure. But if you have something very bright and something very dark, or in shadow, in the view the settings wont be perfect for the whole scene. This has been true of photography since the very begining.

So by bracketing you can under expose the photo so that the brighter parts are not over exposed and you can over expose so that the darker parts are not underexposed. With the D7100 five brackets you can make two differently underexposed shots and two differently over exposed shots in addition to the normal averagely exposed shot.

These five shots can then be processed in software (I use Photomatix Pro) to make a 'perfectly' exposed version taking the best bits out of the five shots. This is what is described as HDR (High Dynamic Range) photos that I and others post here.

Hope that wasn't too complicated, it's easier to do than to explain.

David

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

fileeep (14-09-14), Khun Don (15-09-14), Susana (14-09-14), yy (14-09-14)

Thanks

Great explanation David thank you

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikeheart For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (15-09-14), fileeep (15-09-14), Khun Don (15-09-14), Susana (15-09-14), yy (16-09-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 3,367 Posts

All I would add is that Photomatix Pro has a perpetual free trial-however the images it finally produces have "Photomatix Pro" stamped across them in several places-but still good for experimenting with bracketing to produce a HDR image, though. This stamping obviously does not happen once you buy a licence.
    Last edited by Khun Don; 15-09-14 at 05:40 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

fileeep (15-09-14), Susana (15-09-14), yy (15-09-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,956 Posts

I'll take (need) a year's worth of free trials, thank you!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (15-09-14)

Thanks

If both of you would like to see a lot more information on what you are thinking of purchasing, the full D3300 user manual is available as an adobe PDF file here

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (16-09-14), yy (16-09-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,956 Posts

Re: Photography questions & tips for beginners

Khun Don, I just saw your response to my question about buying a new camera body and used lenses. Yes, the approximate $40. looks very good.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I'm thinking I might be able to purchase one used lens at the time of purchasing my camera. The 18-55 mm lens is included in the price, so I will definitely have that. I have a list of things I wish to do with my camera and I'm just not sure what all I can accomplish with the basic camera, in spite of all the reading I've been doing.

Considering the list of wishes below, is there an additional lens I must have to accomplish a good shot? (Something which the basic camera and 18-55 lens cannot do alone)

My interests at the time are of course capturing that illusive tiny hummingbird I've been stalking for years, as well as other flora & fauna.
    Good macro shots for online selling
    Interesting old houses and other buildings.
    Landscapes.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

The 18 - 55 mm lens won't focus close enough for macro shots is all I can think of. Any lens capable of macro generally has that in its name.

I recently bought the 40 mm macro but am yet to try it out.

David

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

Susana (16-09-14), yy (17-09-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    My interests at the time are of course capturing that illusive tiny hummingbird I've been stalking for years, as well as other flora & fauna.
    Good macro shots for online selling
    Interesting old houses and other buildings.
    Landscapes.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

1.For the hummingbird a telephoto lens -at least 55-300-basic animal photography lens- after this length the lenses get very pricy!! -see Mike's reply here

2.As David says you will need a macro lens for macro shots-and good macro shots are hard to get as the area of sharp focus can be very narrow-a way around this is focus stacking but as Curt will tell you, that can be tricky as well!

3.The 18-55 lens is good for this-as would be a 55-300.

4. You can get quite decent landscapes with the 18-55 lens, but for something wider this lens is currently very popular. There is a newer version out that is, of course, more expensive-by about $80.
    Last edited by Khun Don; 16-09-14 at 10:39 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (17-09-14), yy (17-09-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    All I would add is that Photomatix Pro has a perpetual free trial-however the images it finally produces have "Photomatix Pro" stamped across them in several places-but still good for experimenting with bracketing to produce a HDR image, though. This stamping obviously does not happen once you buy a licence.
    Although it doesn't have all the presets of Photomatix, Nik, or some other HDR programs, Photoshop has HDR processing. What I like about its HDR is that it simply combines the data in the images and allows the user to adjust the 32 bit image in ACR, Adobe Camera Raw. This will render a more realistic image. When converting to 16 bit, for further processing, there are options that will allow the more typical "grunge" looking results.

At around $10 a month, on an annual subscription, Photoshop is a great deal. It comes with Lightroom and the mobile apps also included.

I forgot to say that of course I need to first hold one in my hand and see how the size and weight works for me.
    If weight is a concern, the D3300 weighs in at just under a half kilo. The D7100 weighs about 50% more. This is due to the use of more metal in the construction.

Lens-wise, the "kit" zoom range with be your "walk-around". "18~whatever" will cover most situations. I have a Sigma 17~70 f2.8~4 on my Canon 7D most of the time. I also carry a Canon 70~200 f4. Lately, I've been using my 100mm f2.8 macro a lot.

The 7D is, pretty much, the Canon line equivalent of the D7000/7100
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (17-09-14), Susana (17-09-14), yy (17-09-14)

Thanks

The Photoshop rental deal is indeed very good value for money-but you have to use it very regularly to benefit-or it is $120 down the drain every year. I have Lightroom 5 (DVD)-and I really do not use it enough-it is all too easy to use Photoshops Elements to quickly adjust images for posting etc

I forced myself (yeah, right!) to go to my local camera shop yesterday to check out a few things-currently toying with the idea of buying a second hand D7000 body when one turns up at the right price (cheap!).

While there I had the opportunity to handle a D3300. Could not believe how light it is! It is one thing to read the weight, quite another to physically experience it. The viewfinder was very good and I liked the well lit white background to the menus-Nikons-like Canons-usually have a black background to their menus. The new 18-55 lens -far more compact than its predecessor- was very good-I got to shoot off a few pics-really sharp and detailed

More impressed than ever with this little camera for the price.-though of course at the price it does have a few limitations- for example no auto-bracketing-but that can be a positive as it teaches -and reminds- the user to use bracketing for non HDR shots- in poor or fluctuating light for example. (Sometimes it is worth taking a picture slightly under and slightly over exposed as well as at normal exposure to make sure you have something decent.)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (17-09-14), yy (17-09-14)

Thread Information