Thanks

Vegetarian Festival

So,this year's vegetarian festival is starting on 24th Sep and last till 2nd Oct. What's your vegetarian/vegan recipe that you make often ? As for me, 355 days of the year I eat meat,egg,dairy products just like anybody but during vegetarian festival my favorite thing to make is Tom Kha ( Galangal flavored coconut broth ) with lot of mushrooms. Does anyone participate in the vegetarian festival? Do you prefer to cook a meal yourself or you simply buy it from vendors ?
    P.S. Last year my husband joined me for vegetarian festival and we made brownie together,it came out really good.Here's the recipe if someone want to give it a try.
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup cocoa powder
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 cup vegetable oil ( I use canola )
    3/4 cup water
    pinch of salt
    chopped roasted nuts to decorate ( optional )
    Mix everything together in a bowl until well combined,pour into greased pan and bake 25 mins in 350 F
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vegan brownie.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	20410

2. The Following User Says Thank You to siamruby For This Useful Post:

Susana (19-09-14)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Re: Vegetarian Festival

I eat 'jay' 365.25 days in a year ^_^ I love to eat out but often find it easier to make my own if ever I want to have my favorite dishes eg the simple comfort food chap chye The Chinese Hokkien version I grew up on and which I crave for is different from the Thai version of chap chye, with the difference in the use of tao cheo (fermented n salted soy beans) in the Hokkien style.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

Isn't the vegetarian festival the one where people practice self-flagellation? Or am I thinking of something else?

I enjoy eating vegetables as long as they accompany real food

RickThai

Thanks
    Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,943 Posts

RickThai, I read about that for the first time this year. I really don't much about it, but I did find this article from Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/...on-in-phangnga

I hope someone will come along and enlighten us on this subject. My guess would be that vegetarians in Thailand self-flagellating are no more common than Christians practicing self-flagellation at Easter time.
    Last edited by Susana; 10-10-14 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Reworded for clarification

Thanks

Susana,

I first learned of the piercings and so forth from a book about Phuket. From the pictures I've seen, it is not something I would prefer to watch firsthand.

And I agree that it is very similar to the self-flagellation that some Christians perform. Actually there are several religions that incorporate elements of self-inflicted pain as a testament to their faith.

I never could see it myself. What God(s) would want you to mutilate yourself, since, supposedly you are his/her/their creation? That would be like setting fire to the Taiga in order to sacrifice it to the God(s). To me that would seem to be an attack on the God(s) themselves.

RickThai

Thread Information