PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Health insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Health insurance

In a previous thread, I requested information about the quality of health services in Hua Hin, and in particularly at the Bangkok Hospital. I have not received any replies to that inquiry, but perhaps someone can tell me if the national health program (i.e.,30) that was instituted several years ago is still in effect. My Thai wife and I intend to move permanently to Hua Hin in the next couple of years and I am doing due diligence in preparation for our move.

I thank anyone who can provided some information regarding this matter.

Sid Leonard

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Re: Health insurance

Hi Sid Leonard. I can't help you with this but hopefully someone will come along who can at least tell you where to search for the information you need. Please keep checking back.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

sidleonard (13-11-14)

Thanks

The health insurance offered to Thai government employees is not very good, based upon what my wife has told me about the experiences her mother has endured.

I would caution anyone with serious health issues to look into some sort of private policy, if you plan on living in Thailand during your old age.

The average life expectancy of a Thai citizen is about 74 years of age, but I haven't come across any data about the life expectancy for foreigners living in Thailand. My guess is that it would be somewhat less, due to the lack of a Thailand-evolved immune system.

RickThai
    Last edited by RickThai; 13-11-14 at 10:46 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RickThai For This Useful Post:

sidleonard (15-11-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

The 30 baht scheme will cover your wife, but not you.

BUPA is one of the better private providers: http://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals.aspx
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

Maxxy (16-11-14), sidleonard (15-11-14)

Thanks

^
    My wife basically confirmed the same thing that Curt has posted. Only Thai citizens are allowed to participate in the 30Baht Thai health insurance program.

Her sister uses that insurance, and apparently you don't make appointments to visit a doctor. You just show up at the clinic and wait around with all the other people who have shown up, until it is your turn to see someone. It usually takes all day. My wife said her sister's medicine usually cost about 800 baht for each prescription (not sure what she takes), so the medicine can still be relatively expensive.

Good luck with your decision to live in Thailand!

RickThai

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RickThai For This Useful Post:

sidleonard (15-11-14)

Thanks

Hi

As a teacher I am able to get the thai insurance. I had to get a check up for work permit I was in and out in about an hour. but I was fast tracked. there were about 50 people in line when hospital opened at 8 and by 9 as I was leaving the line was gone. for minor care thai hospitals are just as good and much faster than most Western hospital.
    Major care is where the rub is most small local hospitals are not equiped for major surgery have to go to big city for major problem and there Thai hospitals do not have the same nursing care. Familys are expected to care for the patients daily needs .

emergency care or ambulance are rare. getting to hospital if having an emergency medical need can be time consuming. sometimes Thais don't seem to be in a rush to get someone to hospital.
    2 weeks ago my older landlady died. Weds she was fine, Thursday family members told me she was very sick and they were going to take her to Chaing Rai on Friday. firday morning I woke up to whole family crying out side. I think she had a stroke.

If you are one who needs to be near medical care then locate in major big city near private hospital and either self insure or find a western policy that covers you here.
    there are local private thai insurance companies you can look into.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khonrai For This Useful Post:

RickThai (20-11-14), sidleonard (15-11-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 697 Posts

My understanding is that the 30 baht health scheme is only available in a thais registered province. She may need to have her family book updated to use that service. I could be wrong, but maybe worth checking.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

RickThai (20-11-14), sidleonard (16-11-14), visionchaser45 (15-11-14)

Thanks

You are correct, Mr. Emu. She can only use 30 scheme in her home province (i.e., where her house book says she resides).
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

RickThai (20-11-14), sidleonard (16-11-14)

Thanks

I suppose your health clinic visit wait times are a function of where you live. My wife's oldest sister live in Huai Kwang, maybe that's why her clinic visits are so crowded.

My Thai MIL, who uses government worker health insurance, has to go to Phitsanaluk for treatment and it is generally an all day event, when including the 45 min one-way commute from her house.

RickThai

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickThai View Post
    I suppose your health clinic visit wait times are a function of where you live. My wife's oldest sister live in Huai Kwang, maybe that's why her clinic visits are so crowded.

My Thai MIL, who uses government worker health insurance, has to go to Phitsanaluk for treatment and it is generally an all day event, when including the 45 min one-way commute from her house.

RickThai
    I agree, the wait times depend on where you live and which hospitals you visit. I have no knowledge of hospitals in Hua Hin but my advice to the OP Sid is to find out whether his wife has paid into the Thai social security fund throughout her working life. Thais have two options and I've seen the difference in treatment clearly between my Thai FIL and MIL. Living in Samut Prakarn, my FIL has Thai social security coverage as he paid in throughout his working life. He can go to clinics attached to major hospitals in the area such as Baolo and Sikarin. The treatment, including medicines, is prompt, free and unlimited - it would even cover surgery albeit with a long wait. In sharp contrast, my MIL has never worked and never paid social security - she has to visit a designated hospital in Pak Nam under the '30-baht' scheme and yes, it takes all day. The OP should check his wife's situation.

Thread Information