PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Mia vs Palijawan(sp) - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

Re: Mia vs Palijawan(sp)

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-Daniels View Post
    Missed that one by a fair bit there "guava"
    Not at all, as your own explanation demonstrates. As you say this is a family forum so lets just leave it at that shall we.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to guava For This Useful Post:

emu (30-01-15), Khun Don (30-01-15), Marie (30-01-15), oeshidez (31-01-15), RickThai (20-02-15), Susana (30-01-15)

Thanks

A lot of words we might or might not recognise but they do exist and are commonly called slang.
    šѹ§ ·͡ ѹվ鹷§ 餹㨡ҧ蹪

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oeshidez For This Useful Post:

guava (01-02-15), Marie (31-01-15), Susana (31-01-15), yeows (13-02-15)

Thanks

I have heard that a couple or husband and wife can use the words 'pii' and 'nong' to refer to one another. Not sure how true this is though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yeows For This Useful Post:

Susana (13-02-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yeows View Post
    I have heard that a couple or husband and wife can use the words 'pii' and 'nong' to refer to one another. Not sure how true this is though.
    Yes, I confirm the 'pii'- I have heard it. But I haven't the 'nong'.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

yeows (13-02-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

I've heard both and can confirm that it is true. This usually begins in courtship, or in younger days when they were just friends, and carries on into the marriage. My sister-in-law by marriage always calls her husband pii noi, noi being his nickname since childhood.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

RickThai (20-02-15), yeows (14-02-15)

Thanks

I mostly agree with Tod-Daniels on this, although he's playing down the offence that could potentially be caused by using (pua) or (mia) to make his other points. It is not simply a case that some people feeling uncomfortable with the terms and you shouldn't worry because that's their problem. Nor is it an issue of people thinking they're 'hiso' (and you're going to run into problems understanding the subtleties of the language if you dismiss them in these terms). It is quite possible to cause a deliberate slight by using them, just as you can use them for humorous effect at other times. Subtleties in this case, for example, might be that pua/mia can be used for a boyfriend/girlfriend who are sleeping together but not living together, or a couple living together who haven't registered their marriage.

While I can talk about my 'mia' or a girl's 'pua' with friends and informally, I wouldn't do that when with colleagues in my office, except with one or two of them when we're out of earshot of the others or in a more social situation. There's not really anyone who is 'hiso'; in the main they are professional people, middle-aged and up. The younger ones would not use 'pua /mia' when in the office either. This is not just to save the sensibilities of the older generation. Using that kind of language would reflect badly on them in an educated and professional environment. As a foreigner, you could be excused - but you'd notice some smirks and perhaps catch the odd comment between other people. (Been there, done that.)

Where you need to take most care though is when you are referring to the spouses of other people. In my work situation, it would cause offence and certainly be disrespectful to refer to someone else's spouse as 'pua' or 'mia'. Even the younger ones would never ask me about my 'mia' and avoid those terms in the work setting. If you're in a more formal setting or among professional company etc., it would always be much safer to use (panrayaa) / (saami) or even Ό (fan).

And if you're dealing with officialdom, such as immigration etc., and they're using the 'mia / pua' choice, you can be pretty sure they're being deliberately offensive - unless they've tried the other terms and you didn't understand them

'Pii' and 'Nong' are quite commonly used by husband and wife - that's the way that I've found out that a couple of male friends have wives who are older than them.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KhaoNiaw For This Useful Post:

emu (16-02-15), RickThai (20-02-15), Susana (15-02-15), trangam (20-02-15), yeows (15-02-15)

Thanks

^
    Thanks for this additional insight!

Thai really does have a lot of subtle nuances (which Thais sometimes use to slip in subtle slurs, apparently).

I will use panrayaa from now on both when referring to my wife and the wives of others.

Thanks so much.

RickThai

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RickThai For This Useful Post:

trangam (20-02-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KhaoNiaw View Post
    I mostly agree with Tod-Daniels on this
    Well KhaoNiaw (which I take is ˹ glutinous rice commonly called "sticky rice"), mostly agreeing with me is better than nothing!!

I'll take what I can get seeing as many of my suggestions are shouted down out of hand.

I think this all boils down to ONE single thing; "Know your audience". By that I mean, understand how much the thaiz you interact with know you, which is often different from how well you imagine they do.. Thaiz know which register of language to speak with other thaiz without even thinking about it.

Foreigners on the other hand, not so much.

Personally, you can call your wife what ever you want to, after all she's YOUR wife...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

RickThai (24-02-15)

Thanks

Personally, you can call your wife what ever you want to, after all she's YOUR wife...
    If I were the wife whose husband calls me a term which offends my sensibilities, I'd correct him the first or second time and dismiss it as pure ignorance on his part. But if he persists despite my requesting him to stop it, and it becomes apparent that he does it on purpose because he believes he can call me anything just because I am his wife, I'd start to suspect he has some personality issues.
    Name:  REALLY_wacko_freaky_guy_by_Latiasfan3[1].jpg
Views: 78
Size:  7.4 KB
    That could be a sign of a disorder.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Susana (20-02-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KhaoNiaw View Post
    I mostly agree with Tod-Daniels on this, although he's playing down the offence that could potentially be caused by using (pua) or (mia) to make his other points. It is not simply a case that some people feeling uncomfortable with the terms and you shouldn't worry because that's their problem. Nor is it an issue of people thinking they're 'hiso' (and you're going to run into problems understanding the subtleties of the language if you dismiss them in these terms). It is quite possible to cause a deliberate slight by using them, just as you can use them for humorous effect at other times. Subtleties in this case, for example, might be that pua/mia can be used for a boyfriend/girlfriend who are sleeping together but not living together, or a couple living together who haven't registered their marriage...
    Thanks for that very enlightening explanation. It spells out clearly the subtleties and nuances which we foreigners want to know about these Thai words, us as plain and simple learners who do not nurse any hangups on Thais

Being multilingual (English is only my third language, in the sequence of learning them), I am familiar with foreigners sounding disrespectful and offensive when speaking my native tongues. They could irritate your ears. But that is pardonable--if that is due to ignorance. You just be patient with them and try to enlighten them. However when you get to learn that they intentionally defy ways to accord respect even when it is due, because of their personal idee fixe, you start to think up of imaginative ways on how to drive them home.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

RickThai (24-02-15), Susana (20-02-15)

Thread Information