PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Brain teasers - Page 8
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Brain teasers

Thanks

Re: Brain teasers

The answer lies in how can the two guys say those things and it is assumed they are 100% accurate in their views. The only way the first guy could have said he knows the other guy does not know the answer is if he got one of the non-unique month-date combinations. Else the second guy could have known the birthday. Two numbers are associated with only two specific months. And now for the first guy to be sure that the second guy does not know means the first guy has got a month which does not have a unique combination....and so on you deduce...taking into account the following statements made by the guys.
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trangam For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (17-04-15), Marie (17-04-15), Susana (17-04-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

I'm not sure what he meant by "skewing his way of thinking". I'll ask his mom if she can explain. Maybe it is what trangam said above, but of course I really don't know.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (17-04-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Thanks everyone for trying to make me see the light!

Last night I challenged myself and resolved to really comprehend what the puzzle was about. All I did was to reread the statements very carefully. Magically, a Eureka moment dawned upon me! No, it's not a math or algebra problem which you solve by using equations or formulae. You can crack it by using simple deduction the way you would decipher, say, a whodunit conundrum, like PUZZLE #2 (EIGHT MOVIES IN EIGHT NIGHTS)--which I successfully answered.

What was wrong with me, why didn't I grasp the nature of the brain-teaser immediately?

First, I read it and it didn't make any sense to me the first time. My initial impression was it's a math problem that needed to be solved by using a mathematical equation or model which I was absolutely certain was way beyond my knowledge. Math had never been my forte! And I allowed myself to wallow in that sad conclusion and was prepared to spend the rest of my days believing that's my misfortune in life!

Second, there's something about the way the 'math problem' was written that 'turned me off'. I understood this was supposedly a formal academic test to be given in a classroom setting-- and why was it sloppily phrased? You can enjoy more latitude with mere puzzles for entertainment or play but in serious academic situations the rule in test construction is that problems should be absolutely free of errors. That includes faulty grammar or slapdash presentation, as these may negatively affect cognitive processing. In fact, ideally, important examination questions are pre-tested to spot any oversights. And wasn't this an important test, too?

But no excuses. The fact is that when God came to distribute talent in math, I failed to wake up early enough to join the queue.

Thanks, khun Don, for this thought-provoking puzzle. I hope others will also post some.
    Last edited by Marie; 17-04-15 at 11:53 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (17-04-15), Susana (17-04-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    And wasn't this an important test, too?
    No, it was part of SASMO, Singapore and Asian Schools Math Olympiads, a competition. http://mathsolympiads.org/

SASMO is devoted and dedicated to bringing a love for Mathematics to students. Unlike most Math Olympiad Competitions, SASMO caters not only to students in the top 5% but to the top 40% instead. It aims to arouse studentsí interest and enthusiasm for mathematical problem solving, develop mathematical intuition, reasoning and logical thinking, as well as creative and critical thinking. In addition, this can help improve the studentsí math grades because they can apply problem-solving strategies learnt during the training to their daily school mathematics.
    David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (17-04-15), Marie (17-04-15), Susana (17-04-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Yes, David, I read this a bit belatedly:
    But it later emerged it was for students aged about 15 taking part in last week's Singapore and Asian Schools Math Olympiads (Sasmo).
    Some of the comments made me laugh:

-This girl is sebei complicated. Not worth their time please.

- This all cheryls fault.. She can say when is her birthday is, why need to have a debate, albert and bernard should find another friend instead.. Too much reasoning cause mental disorder.

-Albert and Bernard should immediately unfriend her but get Cheryl a slice of cake anyway to celebrate a short lived friendship that was not worth their tim

- Cheryl obviously didnt want Albert and Bernard at her party. Shld've taken the hint when Cheryl decided to play this little game

About being distracted by the flawed English, I was surprised to find that there were a few who were similarly distrait. Some jokes were hurled at the writer's expense! At the risk of being accused of giving a cop-out (because I failed to arrive at the right answer initially), I can now claim from a first-hand experience that there are some people whose mental faculties are jarred by unexpected intervening variables such as errors. Of course others can get past these easily. Lesson learned: It is worthwhile to consciously avoid being sloppy when phrasing puzzles or tests regardless whether they're for fun or serious endeavor- if only to escape from being an accidental butt of joke, like the writer of this puzzle.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (17-04-15), Susana (17-04-15)

Thanks

Quote of the day: "Too much reasoning cause mental disorder."

Remind you of anything?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

Marie, I'm glad you figured this out. My friend did not come back to facebook and say why her son said that the way it was written 'skewed' one's thinking.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (17-04-15), Marie (17-04-15)

Thanks

This one looks so simple that even I should be able to figure it out, however, two specific answers seem to dominate what others are reporting. I've not tried it. I have better things to do than reason too much, lol!

Sorry, the presentation is not the best. I have copied it from Power 95.3

IF 2 = 6
    3 = 12
    4 = 20
    5 = 30
    6 = 42
    then 9 - ??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

90?

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

Susana (17-04-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

That is what I made it-then I thought surely it can not be that simple if I can do it?!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (17-04-15)

Thanks

I guess it is simple after all. I just found out that 90 is the correct answer. Sorry folks, since several others came up with a different answer (72?, I think) I thought it must be much more complicated.

My husband glanced at it and said 90. I asked, how do you know? and his answer was that he 'just knew'.

I'll look for something harder next time.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (17-04-15), Marie (19-04-15)

Thread Information