PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Competition: Win a Talking Thai Phrasebook for iPhone/iPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Win a Talking Thai Phrasebook for iPhone/iPad

When it comes to learning a language in preparation for a holiday, you no longer need to go to your local bookstore to buy a phrasebook. The digital revolution has changed not only how we prepare for our holidays, but helps contribute to a more enjoyable time. For a few years now, phrasebooks having been available on your smartphone to help you communicate while you are on your holiday. There are some good ones out there for Thailand, but in my opinion, Paiboon Publishing and Word in the Hand have just released the best ‚‚‚¨œTalking Thai‚‚‚¨‚‚ā¨œEnglish‚‚‚¨‚‚ā¨œThai Phrasebook‚‚‚¨ on the market. I‚‚‚¨™m not exaggerating. If you only buy one Thai phrasebook this year, make sure it is ‚‚‚¨œTalking Thai‚‚‚¨‚‚ā¨œEnglish‚‚‚¨‚‚ā¨œThai Phrasebook‚‚‚¨.

This is how they describe it: This phrasebook + mini-dictionary app has more than 12,000 professionally edited words, phrases, and ready-to-use, customizable complete sentences organized into 250+ practical categories like ‚‚‚¨œLanguage Difficulties,‚‚‚¨ ‚‚‚¨œHotel,‚‚‚¨ ‚‚‚¨œRenting a Place,‚‚‚¨ ‚‚‚¨œFood/Drink,‚‚‚¨ ‚‚‚¨œPrice Haggling,‚‚‚¨ ‚‚‚¨œTransportation,‚‚‚¨ ‚‚‚¨œHealth,‚‚‚¨ ‚‚‚¨œShopping,‚‚‚¨ ‚‚‚¨œSightseeing,‚‚‚¨ ‚‚‚¨œLove/Romance/Sex‚‚‚¨ and even ‚‚‚¨œSwearing/Insults.‚‚‚¨

So, why do I like this phrasebook so much? Well, it is definitely the phrasebook I wish I had when I first came to Thailand twenty years ago. Remember in the old days when we had to try and work out the pronunciation of the Thai words. They used to write this in ‚‚‚¨œKaraoke English‚‚‚¨ which was hard to decipher. It was like learning two languages at the same time. And of course, as Thai is a tonal language, it would have been doubtful if we had pronounced it correctly. I remember sitting on a train and asking a Thai family how to pronounce each word and phrase. But, with this talking phrasebook, you don‚‚‚¨™t need that help. It has over five hours of studio-recorded sound.

The second problem is that there were always a limit to how many phrases that there could be in a printed phrasebook. For example, they may have ‚‚‚¨œWhere is the train station?‚‚‚¨, but they might not have ‚‚‚¨œWhere is the post office?‚‚‚¨ With this interactive phrasebook you can make up your own phrases by choosing the destination. Another good example is the phrase ‚‚‚¨œCan I visit you at 4:20pm on Saturday 4 July?‚‚‚¨ You can not only change the time but also the date too. Then listen to a native speaker reading the phrase. If you cannot pronounce it then let your friend listen. Cool, yes?

Another problem I had with Thai phrasebooks was the gender problem. There are different words for ‚‚‚¨œI‚‚‚¨, ‚‚‚¨œme‚‚‚¨, ‚‚‚¨œmy‚‚‚¨ etc depending on whether you are male or female. The same went for the polite particles like ‚‚‚¨œkrab‚‚‚¨ and ‚‚‚¨œkaa‚‚‚¨ which come at the end of sentences. With the Talking Phrasebook, you just set your gender in the settings and then you are given all the correct words and phrases for your sex. No need to embarrass yourself by using the wrong word. Another problem is that phrasebooks often used formal words and sentences. With the Talking Phrasebook you get both ways. So you can be more colloquial among friends and peers.

Going back to the transliteration problem. It would seem that no two books could agree on how to write Thai words in the English alphabet. There is the official system but it often bears no relationship to how it should be pronounced. Then the ‚‚‚¨œKaraoke English‚‚‚¨ in the Lonely Planet phrasebook was also very different to what I was using in Thai for Beginners. It used to do my head in. But, with Talking Phrasebook, you can choose one of up to 12 pronunciation guide systems. An added bonus, in settings you can also turn off the pronunciation guide which is helpful for those people who are learning to read Thai and want to guess how to read it before they click the ‚‚‚¨œplay‚‚‚¨ button. Very cool.
    While talking about settings, lets take a look at what else you can change. One of the first things I did was to make the text larger. My eyes are not as good as they used to be. But,I don‚‚‚¨™t necessarily want the English very large. Luckily there is a separate setting so you can just make the Thai text larger. You can also change the type of keyboard, how the time and numbers are displayed and also the volume for playback and keyboard clicks. I think it is this ability to change things that makes the app so useful. The help section is also very comprehensive. Don‚‚‚¨™t make the mistake of thinking it only helps you use the app. It also has a great introduction to learning the Thai language which is actually quite comprehensive

And while I‚‚‚¨™m thinking about it, the conversion calculator is wonderful also. Convert everything from money and temperatures to distances and areas. And then click the ‚‚‚¨œplay‚‚‚¨ button to hear it spoken in Thai! You can also convert length, speed, volume and weight. If you want to see what Thai year you were born in, you can convert to that too. I know you can use calculators for this kind of thing, but only the Talking Phrasebook will read aloud your answer! Converting currency is also useful. As the Talking Phrasebook doesn‚‚‚¨™t need Internet connection to work, there is a button to click to update to the latest exchange rates. There is also a setting if you want this to update automatically every day.

These are are just some of the things that jumped out at me during my first look at the app. As there are over 250 categories and 12,000 words and phrases, I‚‚‚¨™ve only just scratched the surface. I also love the Glossary section. I just went through all 77 provinces as well as a long list of cities and tourist destinations in Thailand making sure I was pronouncing them correctly. I wasn‚‚‚¨™t. Two provinces I need to work on for a better pronunciation. Some of the lists are really comprehensive. For example, animals have 542 entries and birds have 1,025! Other lists include body parts, hobbies, family members and also Thai festivals and events. All of the US states and capitals are listed as well as other places around the world. Very comprehensive already and they say there will be free upgrades in the future.
    If y0u have this smartphone app already then please post a review in the comments below. If you have a question then please feel free to ask.

Talking Thai‚‚‚¨‚‚ā¨œEnglish‚‚‚¨‚‚ā¨œThai Phrasebook is available for $14.99 in the iTunes store. It works well on both the iPhone and iPad so only need to purchase once. Please note, much of this phrasebook will be added in a major upgrade to the more expensive Talking Thai-English-Thai Dictionary at the end of this year. This dictionary is $24.99 and is an app which I use often. Highly recommended. If you have the dictionary already then you might want to wait. Up to you.

DO YOU WANT TO WIN A COPY OF THIS APP? All you have to do is reply below saying why you want to learn Thai. One name will be picked at random 3rd May. Please note, the prize is only for the iphone or ipad.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

billyboy (29-04-15), Khun Don (29-04-15), yeows (02-06-15)

Thanks

Re: Win a Talking Thai Phrasebook for iPhone/iPad

Pick me.....Pick me.....Pick me......just met a lovely Thai lady who speaks little english and I think I'm in lurve

Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

It would love to win and this would greatly assist in my Thai learning.

Billy

Thanks

I want to learn thai because I have to write a novel which can only be written in thai. and I want to assist Billy in his thai learning. and I want to give him double chance
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trangam For This Useful Post:

billyboy (30-04-15), emu (04-05-15), kfchugo (30-04-15)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The competition is now over. The winner is:

1. billyboy <=====
    2. trangam
    3. kfchugo

The redeem code will be sent to you shortly.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

billyboy (04-05-15), emu (04-05-15), Susana (04-05-15), trangam (04-05-15), yeows (02-06-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Congratulations to you all!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

trangam (04-05-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

Thank you Richard i am very pleased.

Billy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

trangam (04-05-15)

Thanks

now we will speak only in Thai, Billy -_-
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to trangam For This Useful Post:

billyboy (05-05-15)

Thanks

Oh well, guess I will just continue to woo my lady with hand signals and crude gestures. Congrats Billyboy.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kfchugo For This Useful Post:

billyboy (05-05-15), trangam (05-05-15)

Thanks

I have the Talking Thai English-Thai Dictionary, and I think it is a must for anyone who wants to learn to pronounce Thai words correctly.

RickThai.

I expect I will be purchasing the IPAD download as soon as it goes through a couple of revs (in my experience (23 years as a software engineer) first editions always have a lot of bugs).

RT

Thread Information