PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Soon you will face a ban if you overstay in Thailand - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Re: Soon you will face a ban if you overstay in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by bigt116 View Post
    Why on Earth would a law passed in Britain come to Thailand ? Do you wonder whether every law passed in every country might come to Thailand ?
    I wouldl never imagine Richard thinking that every law passed in every country might come to Thailand! I think what he's trying to do is simply to facilitate the discussion to roll-which is understandable.

Can't we give Richard-or any other member, for that matter- slack for asking something not exactly in the same way you might want it? Now, I seriously wonder why such a simple remark should be taken in a very discomfiting way. This is a friendly forum and we discourage that kind of negative atmosphere to prevail. We hope you cooperate. Thanks.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (05-08-15), mikeheart (31-08-15), Richard Barrow (06-08-15), Susana (05-08-15)

Thanks

Well, I hafta weigh in on Richard's side of this and I think he was just tossing out, "Do you think....?"

As I said earlier, Thai Immigrations went thru a phase here in Bangkok last year where EVERYONE getting a re-entry permit was handed that TM.30 form for reporting an "alien in residence". I think the reason they did this was so few thai land lords ever bothered to fill out the form, they finally made the foreigners do it instead.

Down in the Southern Division Phuket way, that head guy is rabid crazy about having foreigners fill a form they thought up (not even the official TM.30 form) and having the receipt in your passport. You have to do that BEFORE you can even file a 90 day report or apply for an extension! Plus, unless I'm mistaken they require a copy of the house book and the owner of the property's Thai I/D card too!

Here in Bangkok, when they were gung-ho about that TM.30 we didn't need the copy of the owners House Registration Book or their Thai i/d. We just filled it all in ourselves... They've stopped handing it out now.

As was pointed out already Hotels and I think even Guest Houses have access to an online version via Immigrations website. For people who have done the TM.30 there is a receipt-ish sort of tear off which you keep in your passport like your 90 day reporting slip..

Honestly I don't think it's a bad thing, having property owners report that they're renting to foreigners or thai wifes reporting their husband lives in her house etc.. I mean after all IF you stay here more than 90 continuous days you're already reporting where you live... It's not like they're asking for anything out of the ordinary..

FWIW; this week when I was doing some 90 day reporting for people out at Thai Immigrations in Imperial World Lad Prao Soi 83, ALL the Burmese I saw there had their TM.30 receipts stapled into their passports, so they've been doin' it for a while too.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

bigt116 (06-08-15), Richard Barrow (06-08-15)

Thanks

This is more a response to the now closed thread titled "Security Clampdown: Visa expired? Get to Airport and pay fine or risk prison!, but still may contain good information..

IF you are unlucky enough to get caught out on overstay on Friday you will sit in IDC until you can be seen by the court on the next day they're open for business. Then again, that's NO different than being caught out for ANYTHING illegal on a weekend, (and yes, overstaying is illegal), you're gonna sit in jail until you see the judge. That's just how it is.

Remember, simply being deported from Thailand is NOT being black-listed. Getting deported can be thought of as "being invited to leave thailand" and you can turn around and come right back in. Before, if you were deported you could go to any country which let you in without a visa. Now (I'm almost 100% sure) it's country of passport origin only AND by an airline which can't refuse boarding to deportees (yes, some airlines have a rule where if you're being deported you can't fly out on them!). You may possibly fly to a 'protectorate' too, because I think Americans can be deported to American Samoa, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

At this point in time, the two ways to clear an overstay are;
    • buy a ticket to leave (no longer than a 7 days out) , go to Bangkok Immigration at Chaengwattana (possibly any immigration office, but I only know Bangkok), clear your overstay fine, right after that buy an emergency 7 day extension of stay (1900baht) AND be totally legal whilst you wait the few days for your flight out
      OR
    • go to the airport and clear the overstay on the day you're flying out.. But, if you're going the airport route, give yourself a little time getting thru the process. Usually it's pretty fast, but sometimes it can drag out...

The real moral of this story, DON'T OVERSTAY

FWIW: This is what an overstay stamp looks like in your passport.. It's a pretty small non-descript stamp which says; how many days over (30), what the monetary fine (15,000baht) was and where the overstay was cleared (Phuket).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4kcsqs.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	21532

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

Richard Barrow (30-08-15)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for that information.

Thread Information