PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
News: Thai junta envoy admits crush on China
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Thai junta envoy admits crush on China

August 5, 2015 6:45 pm
    KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - As relations with western nations cool, Thailand's generals have visibly cosied up to China since seizing power in a coup last year.

But one Thai general appears to be especially enamoured.

At a joint press conference in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday, Foreign Minister General Tanasak Patimapragorn made a surprise declaration while standing on a podium with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi.

"If I were a woman I will fall in love with his excellency," he told reporters in English, much to the surprise of Chinaís top foreign envoy who appeared somewhat unsure how to respond.

The foreign ministers are currently attending a regional security meeting in Malaysia hosted by the 10-nation Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean).
    ------------------
    http://www.nationmultimedia.com/brea...-30265995.html

General Tanasak, a close confidant of coup leader and now Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-Cha, made his remarks in response to a reporterís question on Thailandís diplomatic relations with China.

"At this moment we believe this is the best time for our relationship. Especially for my personal contact with minister Wang Yi who is a very nice and polite person," he said.

It was then that he made his surprise declaration of love.

While Thailand boasts extensive cultural, ethnic and demographic links to China, its relationship has not always been so easy.

Throughout much of the Cold War the kingdom was one of Washingtonís strongest bulwarks against communism and it has traditionally remained a close regional ally of the United States.

But the latest coup, one of more than a dozen successful power grabs by the military since the end of absolute monarchy in 1932, has soured relations with the US.

In contrast Beijing has been quick to embrace Bangkokís new military rulers, with a flurry of high-level meetings since the May 2014 coup.

Tanasak said Thailandís relationship with China goes back more than 1,000 years.

"Letís say we are so close, we are more than friends, just say we are cousins with a long history together," he said.

"We donít talk diplomatic talk, we talk like personal, like family, like friend," he added.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Re: Thai junta envoy admits crush on China

I always feel sorry for the wife at the side of a politician declaring love or "it meant nothing" incidents.

Thanks

I imagine that the U.S. and other western countries are pressuring the Thai junta to return the country to democratic rule - something the Chinese have no interest in. It would certainly suit Prayut's ambitions to side with China, but they are undoubtedly "dancing with the devil" in terms of world politics.

Thanks

I wonder what the General was smoking??

RickThai

Thread Information