PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Fox News announces candidate line-up for prime-time debate - Page 29
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1926272829303132 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Re: Fox News announces candidate line-up for prime-time debate

Donald Trump proclaims himself 'law and order' candidate at Republican convention

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...efing_c-US_d-1

Thanks

CARL HIAASEN
    JULY 29, 2016 6:00 PM
    Maybe Trump really wants to lose

“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you find the 30,000 emails that are missing.”

The easiest job in politics belongs to the people who are producing Hillary Clinton’s attack ads against Donald Trump. All they’ve got to do is wait for this bumbling gasbag to open his mouth, and he basically writes their commercials for them.

Every few days brings a new Trump gaffe, and a new gift to the Democrats. Never has a presidential candidate willingly provided so much damaging material for the opposition to use.

Last week, while Clinton was being celebrated in Philadelphia, Trump asked the Russians to hack into the emails she sent and received as U.S. Secretary of State.

Incredibly, he was suggesting that a foreign superpower overtly hostile to American interests launch a cyber-attack against a former U.S. Cabinet member.

Even if it was sarcastic (as Trump belatedly claimed), the notion of inviting Vladimir Putin’s spy goons to interfere in a U.S. political election was so reckless that it raised an unavoidable question: Is Trump trying to sabotage his own campaign?

Many Republican leaders are said to be outraged by his Russian hacking comment, and at this point they must be wondering if Trump secretly doesn’t want to be president.

It’s almost as if he lies awake late at night thinking of things to say that are either shockingly stupid, or stupidly shocking. Then he purposely chooses the worst possible time to say them.

A recurring theme of the Democratic convention was Trump’s instability and lack of foreign-policy knowledge. Instead of trying to counter that impression, he validated it by asking Russia’s espionage apparatus to go after Hillary — and then suggested that as president he might even recognize Russia’s military “annexation” of Crimea.

The Democrats are right, Trump seemed to be crowing. I’m just as clueless and dangerous as they say I am.

Nobody who seriously hopes to get to the White House cozies up to a guy like Putin.

Why would Trump make himself look like a gullible patsy only days after presenting himself to the GOP convention as a wily tough guy, the nation’s self-proclaimed savior?

The possibility must be considered that he doesn’t really want to win the election. There are several reasons why he wouldn’t.

Being president is a grueling and frustrating gig, much harder than running a beauty pageant or starring in a TV reality show.

You’ve got worry about complicated things like the global economy and terrorism, which means you actually have to read detailed briefings from experts every day.

This would be a major adjustment for Trump, who reads Twitter but not much else. He says he gets his information from television, which is not how the CIA and NSA prefer to disseminate top-secret intelligence.

Becoming president means taking a huge pay cut, too, which would be problematic for a businessman with as many heavy expenses as Trump — all those lawyers to pay and court judgments to settle, not to mention the costly leases on his planes and helicopter.

A president’s salary is only $400,000, peanuts to a high-flying billionaire. And the yearly spending allowances would severely cramp Trump’s style — a $50,000 expense account, $100,000 for travel and a pitiful $19,000 for entertainment.

For 19 grand you couldn’t possibly get Tony Bennett to sing at your inaugural ball. Heck, on a budget like that you couldn’t get Tony Orlando.

This is the grim reality facing the Big Orange Trumpster. Also weighing on his mind is the prospect of leaving his glamorous Manhattan life and moving to Washington, D.C., where there are far fewer celebrities to hang with.

Will Melania be happy hosting a state dinner for the prime minister of Bhutan when she could be back on the couch in her Fifth Avenue penthouse, watching Netflix with Tom Brady and Giselle?

One has to wonder if Trump has been haunted with second thoughts from the moment he decided to run. Early in the campaign he showed signs of self-sabotage, gratuitously insulting Hispanics, Muslims, women, even American POWs.

It’s possible these slurs erupted like toxic little geysers from Trump’s subconscious, some selfish core that really has no appetite for living under a public microscope, spending the next four years fighting Congress, or trying to remember the difference between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

That might also explain the creepy speech he gave at the convention in Cleveland, a doomsday portrait of America designed to stir up conservative white voters and alienate everyone else.

It’s a formula for disaster in November.

There are more subtle ways to throw an election, but Trump’s not a subtle guy.

The next time he says something mind-blowingly idiotic — and it could happen again today — ask yourself why he keeps doing this.

Is it because he can’t help it, or because deep down he wants to lose?

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/o...e92690592.html

Carl Hiaasen joined the Herald in 1976 and worked as a general assignment reporter, magazine writer and investigative reporter before starting his column in 1985.

Thanks

Politics
    Trump refuses to support Paul Ryan, John McCain in upcoming Republican primaries

By Philip Rucker August 2 at 4:29 PM
    Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is refusing to back House Speaker Paul D. Ryan in his upcoming primary election, saying in an interview Tuesday that he is “not quite there yet” in endorsing his party’s top-ranking elected official.

Trump also said he was not supporting Sen. John McCain in his primary in Arizona, and he singled out Sen. Kelly Ayotte as a weak and disloyal leader in New Hampshire, a state whose presidential primary Trump won handily.

With Ryan’s Wisconsin primary scheduled for next Tuesday, Trump praised the House speaker’s underdog opponent, Paul Nehlen, for running “a very good campaign.” Trump said that Ryan has sought his endorsement, but that as of now he is only “giving it very serious consideration.”

“I like Paul, but these are horrible times for our country,” Trump said. “We need very strong leadership. We need very, very strong leadership. And I’m just not quite there yet. I’m not quite there yet.”

Trump’s refusal to back Ryan represents an extraordinary breach of political decorum and signals that the Republican Party remains divided two weeks after a national convention in Cleveland staged to showcase party unity.

Trump made his comments during a wide-ranging interview Tuesday afternoon over lunch at the Trump National Golf Club in Northern Virginia.

Trump and Ryan have had a difficult and tense relationship over the past few months. Ryan endorsed Trump this spring after he became the presumptive nominee and spoke on his behalf at the convention, but only after a period of public soul-searching.

Ryan has disagreed with Trump on several key issues — including his proposed temporary ban on Muslims entering the United States — and issued a statement over the weekend that indirectly took issue with Trump’s belittling of the parents of dead U.S. Army captain Humayun Khan.

“Many Muslim Americans have served valiantly in our military, and made the ultimate sacrifice,” Ryan said in the statement. “Captain Khan was one such brave example. His sacrifice — and that of Khizr and Ghazala Khan — should always be honored. Period

With wife Ghazala at his side, Khizr Khan spoke at last week’s Democratic National Convention. He said Trump “smears the character of Muslims” and challenged the Republican nominee’s knowledge of the U.S. Constitution.

Asked about the Khans, Trump said in Tuesday’s interview, “I was viciously attacked on the stage, and I have a right to answer back. That’s all I have to say about it.”

In making his comments Tuesday, Trump may have been seeking retribution for Ryan’s dragging his feet about endorsing Trump in May. Trump’s phrasing of his uncertainty about Ryan — “I’m just not quite there yet” — echoes what Ryan told CNN’s Jake Tapper in a May interview about endorsing Trump: “I’m just not ready to do that at this point. I’m not there right now.”

[Trumps draw fire for suggesting ‘strong’ women can avoid sexual harassment]

Nehlen came to Trump’s defense for his comments about the Khans, for which Trump thanked him in a tweet Monday night. Trump’s shout-out sparked speculation that he might endorse Nehlen.

Asked about this in the Tuesday interview, Trump said that Nehlen “sent me a nice letter and I merely thanked him.”

“[Ryan’s] opponent is a big fan of what I’m saying — big fan,” Trump said. “His opponent, who’s running a very good campaign, obviously, I’ve heard — his opponent sent me a very scholarly and well thought out letter yesterday and all I did was say thank you very much for your very nice letter. You saw my statement.”

Trump added, “I’m giving very serious consideration to that whole situation, to Ryan, to Paul.”

On Monday, McCain, a Vietnam war hero, issued a lengthy statement denouncing Trump for his comments about the Khan family. Asked about McCain’s rebuke, Trump said, “I haven’t endorsed John McCain.

“I’ve never been there with John McCain because I’ve always felt that he should have done a much better job for the vets,” Trump continued. “He has not done a good job for the vets and I’ve always felt that he should have done a much better job for the vets. So I’ve always had a difficult time with John for that reason, because our vets are not being treated properly. They’re not being treated fairly.”

McCain is locked in a three-way Republican primary — the election is Aug. 30 and early voting begins this week — against former state senator Kelli Ward and tea party activist Clair Van Steenwyk. A third challenger, Alex Meluskey, suspended his campaign this week.

Trump said he thought it was a mistake for senators to distance themselves from him because of his popularity with the Republican base. He singled out Ayotte, who like McCain condemned Trump’s comments about the Khans.

“New Hampshire is one of my favorite places,” Trump said. “You have a Kelly Ayotte who doesn’t want to talk about Trump, but I’m beating her in the polls by a lot. You tell me. Are these people that should be representing us, okay? You tell me.”

Trump continued, “I don’t know Kelly Ayotte. I know she’s given me no support — zero support — and yet I’m leading her in the polls. I’m doing very well in New Hampshire. We need loyal people in this country. We need fighters in this country. We don’t need weak people. We have enough of them. We need fighters in this country. But Kelly Ayotte has given me zero support, and I’m doing great in New Hampshire.”

670 Comments
    Share on FacebookShare
    Share on TwitterTweet
    Share via Email

Philip Rucker is a national political correspondent for The Washington Post, where he has reported since 2005. Follow @PhilipRucke

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...856_story.html

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (07-08-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

This really lays it on the line to the Republicans so far as Trump goes.................

Trump will leave a lasting stain on Republicans

By Eugene Robinson Opinion writer August 4

To Republicans who hope to emerge from the Donald Trump fiasco with any shred of political viability or self-respect, I offer some unsolicited advice: Run, do not walk, to the nearest exit.

I’m speaking to you, House Speaker Paul Ryan. And you, Sen. John McCain. And you, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell — along with so many other elected Republicans and party stalwarts. You are not fools. You are well aware that the erstwhile Party of Lincoln has nominated for president a man wholly unfit to hold the office.

I realize that puts you in a tough spot politically. Breaking with the party’s standard-bearer, chosen by voters in primaries and caucuses, would surely mean short-term pain. For some of you, it could be politically fatal. But sticking with Trump, as far as I can see, will almost surely be worse — for you, for the party and, potentially, heaven forbid, for the country you have sworn to serve.

MORE: WASHINGTON POST

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

I was going to stay out of this thread as I have not really followed too much in American politics for some time until recently.
    However, having lived through and observed the antics less than liberal presidents like "Tricky Dicky" Nixon and "Ronald Raygun", it seems now the Republican's really have hit a new all time low with their latest prospect, Trump-so manically uber right to the point of being totally toxic to some of his own party! What happens next is a cliffhanger!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Trump is "toxic" to everyone involved in the system that has become the US government, which includes both parties, the corporations that own them, and the media that reports on them.

Something to ponder ....
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (07-08-16)

Thanks

Leader of American Nazi Party: Trump win will be ‘a real opportunity’ for us
    David Ferguson DAVID FERGUSON 06 AUG 2016 AT 22:04 ET

e leader of the American Nazi Party said on his radio show that a Trump presidency would be a great victory and a “real opportunity” for white nationalists to expand and build their coalition in the United States.

BuzzFeed’s Andrew Kaczynski posted audio on Saturday night of American Nazi Party Chairman Rocky Suhayda declaring that a win for Trump is a win for racist whites.

“I believe that Trump is going to win the election this November, for various reasons which I don’t want to go into again,” Suhayda said in July. “I think it’s gonna surprise the enemy, because I think that they feel that the white working class — especially the male portion of the working class — and with him his female counterparts have basically thrown in the towel. Given up hope of any politician again standing up for their interests.”

“Now, if Trump does win, okay, it’s going to be a real opportunity for people like white nationalists, acting intelligently to build upon that, and to go and start — you know how you have the black political caucus and what not in Congress, and, everything, to start building on something like that,” he continued.

“It doesn’t have to be anti-, like the movement’s been for decades, so much as it has to be pro-white. It’s kinda hard to go and call us bigots, if we don’t go around and act like a bigot. That’s what the movement should contemplate. Alright,” he concluded.

Kaczynski noted that in the past, Suhayda has avoided publicly endorsing Trump because he didn’t want to compromise the Republican nominees chances in the polls.

In 2015, the Nazi chairman wrote on his website, “We have a wonderful OPPORTUNITY here folks, that may never come again, at the RIGHT time. Donald Trump’s campaign statements, if nothing else, have SHOWN that ‘our views’ are NOT so ‘unpopular’ as the Political Correctness crowd have told everyone they are!”

He went on, “But, and here’s the kicker — so WHAT do we DO — sit back and heartily congratulate ourselves that our viewpoints are NOT the pariahs that we have been told that they are, and get all warm and fuzzy feeling OR, do we FINALLY get SERIOUS about what we are supposed to be engaged in.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/lead...tunity-for-us/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (08-08-16)

Thanks

Apparently, Rocky Suhayda follows the press too.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

Thanks

The assumption is that Trump is a racist. Has anyone read, lately, that Trump once sued his country club because they wouldn't allow blacks and jews as members. Apparently frustrated by the legal process, he decided to buy it for 10 million and open it to everyone.

I guess Rocky missed that story!

Thanks

I read a few of the articles on Trump's allowing blacks and Jews to join his club and drew my own conclusions. A google search will net enough articles for anyone else to do the same.

Here are a few:

http://netrightdaily.com/2016/03/tru...urse-in-1990s/

https://www.vulcanhammer.org/2015/07...ews-not-quite/

http://wonkette.com/599207/donald-tr...lacks-and-jews

http://www.impulsetoday.com/donald-t...urse-in-1990s/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (08-08-16)

Thread Information