PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
"Tell it like it is."
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

"Tell it like it is."

"I tell it like it is." "He/she tells it like it is."

Whenever I hear these words I think to myself "Here it comes. I'm about to hear an opinion." I confess that it has become quite a peeve of mine.

How about you? What do you think?

Obviously not everyone agrees with me, since the expression is still in use.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

guava (25-08-15)

Thanks

Re: "Tell it like it is."

I think we are fed so much misinformation by the media, government, politicians, and even schools. It is a way of saying this is the way I see it without all the external influences. I see it maybe as an opinion, but also based on real life experiences and situations.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misterA For This Useful Post:

Susana (25-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by misterA View Post
    I see it maybe as an opinion, but also based on real life experiences and situations.
    I see "as it is" and "as I see it" as being opposite sides of the scale, the first being fact, the second an opinion.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

guava (25-08-15), Susana (25-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    "I tell it like it is." "He/she tells it like it is."

Whenever I hear these words I think to myself "Here it comes. I'm about to hear an opinion." I confess that it has become quite a peeve of mine.
    Obviously not everyone agrees with me, since the expression is still in use.
    When I first saw Susana's post, I wanted to reply and yet hesitated because I couldn't exactly understand how this phrase could ever become anyone's peeve. Is it because some people claim that they're 'telling it like it is' when in fact they're just telling how they see it with disregard to facts?

My experience with using this phrase may be in a totally different context.. It is not negative at all, though. You may say it's just 'neutral'. However, my explanation may tend to sound too technical for comfort and turn off many (another reason why I hesitated to post a reply), but I can''t help it because this is where my experience is related to. I will try to simplify and shorten my explanation, though.

In training people, Structured Learning Experience (also known as SLE) is an in-depth, supervised, purposive activity through which the participants learn through reflection on doing. Learners are made to accomplish a task focused on a specific learning objective, after which the whole experience is published and processed. And it is during the whole SLE cycle that 'telling it like it is'-in fact the trainees are specifically encouraged to do so- becomes handy.

The discussion goes something like this:

Phase 1: Publishing-participants tell what actually happened (stick to facts).
    Phase 2: Processing -participants share cognitive observations and emotional reactions about the experience (thus, this is a combination of objective and subjective data, but nonetheless accepted as 'telling it like it is' on both cognitive and affective/emotional levels).
    Phase 3: Discussing patterns and dynamics -further sharing of thoughts, feelings and insights on why things must have happened the way they did during the activity
    Phase 4: Generalizing real world principles- relating the experiences on the activity to real-life situations
    Phase 5: Applying effective use of learning- planning on how to apply the new learning to improve real-life situations

Thus, 'telling it like it is' simply means describing a situation factually, and what the person thinks or feels about it -which you may call 'opinion'- in as an authentic manner as possible. This is very important because learning takes place through insights and reflection generated by being true to oneself.
    Last edited by Marie; 25-08-15 at 07:01 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Susana (25-08-15)

Thanks

I would love to hear this idiom used to express fact!

I searched for history of the term and came up with this:

Tracing The Origin Of The Campaign Promise To 'Tell It Like It Is'

"I tell it like it is." Chris Christie made this his campaign slogan. Donald Trump repeats it whenever he's challenged on something he has said. And Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Mike Huckabee, John Kasich and Rick Santorum have said the same thing. It's the conventional pledge of candor, or what passes for it in American public life."

Read more. . . . http://www.npr.org/2015/07/15/423194...-it-like-it-is

Note: I didn't consciously realize politicians were using this phrase until I read the article. Those mentioned are all Republicans. We'll have to wait and see which catch phrase the Democrats might come up with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (28-08-15)

Thanks

And then theres is this song sung beautifully by Aaron Neville:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    I would love to hear this idiom used to express fact!

I searched for history of the term and came up with this:

Tracing The Origin Of The Campaign Promise To 'Tell It Like It Is'

"I tell it like it is." Chris Christie made this his campaign slogan. Donald Trump repeats it whenever he's challenged on something he has said. And Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Mike Huckabee, John Kasich and Rick Santorum have said the same thing. It's the conventional pledge of candor, or what passes for it in American public life."

Read more. . . . http://www.npr.org/2015/07/15/423194...-it-like-it-is

Note: I didn't consciously realize politicians were using this phrase until I read the article. Those mentioned are all Republicans. We'll have to wait and see which catch phrase the Democrats might come up with.
    Not surprising given the liberal leanings of NPR and Geoff Nunberg.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misterA For This Useful Post:

Susana (29-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

I think many confuse "telling it like it is" with "calling it as they see it".
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (29-08-15), Susana (29-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Would you like to expound on the difference, please?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Would you like to expound on the difference, please?
    The former assumes one is correct; the latter is simply one's frank opinion - close but not the same.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

Marie (30-08-15), mikeheart (01-09-15)

Thread Information