PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
News: Six-Month Visas for Tourists Start November
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Six-Month Visas for Tourists Start November

Six-Month Visas for Tourists Start November

BANGKOK โโ‚ฌโโ‚ฌ Foreign tourists the world over will be able to visit Thailand for six months under new visas available starting in November.

From 13 Nov. onward, travelers can apply for the new visas, which will cost 5,000 baht but be limited two-months inside the country at any given time, according to an announcement yesterday from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They will be allowed to come and go as often as they please.

The new visa rules were announced early last month as a measure to shore up a crucial pillar of the flagging economy.

KHAOSOD
    Last edited by Khun Don; 01-04-16 at 02:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Six-Month Visas for Tourists Start November

This is the official statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs about the new METV:

Thailand will soon grant multiple-entry visas to visitors to facilitate the forthcoming ASEAN Community and to boost Thailand's tourism industry. The multiple-entry tourist visa (METV), costing 5,000 baht, will grant travelers multiple entries during a 6-month period, for up to 60 days per entry. All foreign nationals are eligible to apply for METV. Thailand's METV will be available from 13th November 2015.

Thanks

No official mention yet of whether you will be able to extend each entry for 30 days.

Thanks

"but be limited two-months inside the country".
    Why do they add some extra hassle? For people who work illegal in Thailand it won't be a problem to fly KL and back.
    For real tourists who may want to stay a bit longer it is a hassle to go out and in again or find the immigration and add 1 month (if that will be possible).
    A potential terrorist won't care if he has 2 month or 1 week Visa as he won't be afraid of overstay.

I don't understand what is the point of this 2 month?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigt116 View Post
    No official mention yet of whether you will be able to extend each entry for 30 days.
    You mean extend within country? I doubt it as they clearly say "for up to 60 days per entry". But, let's wait and see.

I think this new multiple entry visa is meant to facilitate TAT's plan to promote Thailand as a hub for tourists to explore South East Asia. It's not meant to help people stay longer in Thailand. If you want to stay/live in Thailand you need to get something that is not a tourist visa. Like an "old age person" visa, marriage visa or a visa that allows you to live and work here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    You mean extend within country? I doubt it as they clearly say "for up to 60 days per entry". But, let's wait and see.

I think this new multiple entry visa is meant to facilitate TAT's plan to promote Thailand as a hub for tourists to explore South East Asia. It's not meant to help people stay longer in Thailand. If you want to stay/live in Thailand you need to get something that is not a tourist visa. Like an "old age person" visa, marriage visa or a visa that allows you to live and work here.
    I know several elderly people who would like to stay say Nov.-Feb. in Thailand to run from the cold weather. They don't want to apply for anything difficult as they aren't very fit. That 3x2 month Visa doesn't help them much. I think that idea was meant well but not thought thru.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h90 View Post
    I know several elderly people...
    There you go. You answered the question yourself. "Several people". Does Thailand really need to go to the expense and trouble of creating a new visa just for "several elderly people"? Anyway, isn't there already a visa that gives you 60 days plus a one 30 day extension in-country? How many months do they need? If upwards of a year, then they can apply for the "old age visa". This is very simple to do as it doesn't need many documents.

You have to understand that if they make the tourist visa too long and easy to get, then it will abused by people who want to live and work here illegally. This is including the many foreign criminals who have made Thailand their home.

Thanks

I understand your arguments, but I think it goes in the wrong direction if they want more tourists. The illegally working scuba instructor will just make a border run. The foreign criminal only needs to come in once and stays here, they don't worry for a valid visa.

The elderly honest people (and I think there are really a lot) would have to travel to the next embassy or consul. In my country it would be 1.5 hours with the car, driving in a big city, unpleasant embassy, driving back 1.5 hours. And maybe do the same to pick up the passport. (Last time I checked they told you must come yourself).

Of course Thailand can do what they want, but I think there are better solutions if they want more tourists. Lets say people over 60 Visa get 4 month on arrival. Low risk that they work illegal. Older people are unlikely to make problems. Why not just do it?
    But also check sometimes on foreigner...there are people here who overstay their Visa already 20 years. (I knew one)

Thanks

Okay, after googling around a TON tryin' to find the listing in the Royal Gazette I did find this which was published in there way back in July..
    http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DA...8/A/088/29.PDF

It would appear they are doing away with the double/triple entry Tourist Visas and going for either a single entry tourist visa with a validity of 90 days, that let's you stay 60 days (just like they have now)
    OR
    a multiple entry tourist with a validity of 6 months that lets you stay 60 days at a time, but come and go as many times as you like during that 6 months with each entry getting you 60 days. There is NO mention if those entries can be extended like they can now at your Thai Immigration for an additional 30 days for 1900baht.

BTW, just so you know; the Ministry of Foreign Affairs sets the rules for issuing visas OUTSIDE the country at thai embassies/consulates and Thai Immigration set the rules for issuing visas and extensions of stay INSIDE the country. They are different as chalk & cheese..

The MFA is revising a ข้อ (a section) of their rules ;
    Quote:
    (ข) ประเภทนักท่องเยว
    -ใช้ได้ครั้งเดียว ๑,๐๐๐ บาท
    -ใช้ได้หลายครั้งภายในหกเดือน ๕,๐๐๐บาท
    Section ข (egg) Type; Tourist
    use once 1000baht
    use many times (หลาย can sometimes be interpreted as "as many as you want") within in 6 months 5000baht..

There is also a clause at the end that says;
    Quote:
    หากไม่ได้รับการยกเว้นการตรวจลงตรา จะต้องขอรับการตรวจลงตรวประเภทนักท่องเที่ยวจากสถานท ูตหรือสถานกงสุลไทยต่างประเทศก่อนเดินทางเข้ามาในราช อาณาจักรทุกครั้ง
    If you don't get a visa exempt entry you must apply for a tourist visa at a thai embassy or consulate outside the country BEFORE you enter the kingdom every time.

There is nothing that I've found saying they're going to do away with the visa exempt program for all the 52 countries that currently qualify for it.

PLEASE NOTE: there could be mistakes in that thai I posted. I couldn't cut/paste it and had to type it out myself.

Good Luck. . . .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

h90 (27-09-15)

Thanks

Sorry guys, I couldn't edit the above post.. It was published in the Royal Gazette on the 14th of Sept, but it was signed off on by Prayuth on the 28th of July..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

Susana (28-09-15)

Thread Information