PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thais all look Chinese now??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Thais all look Chinese now??

    Hello all! Sawadee Krup!

    Lately I've noticed a lack of native Thai faces.
    By native Thai I mean Thais who have more dark complexions, including dark skin, large eyes, sometimes curly hair and overall less mongoloid appearance in contrast to the lighter or more mongoloid Thais.

    For me growing up even though they were not the majority where I was, there was still fair share of dark Thais in my village. I knew some Thais who could pass for Indian, if I saw them in Bangkok today I would assume they were south asian (some of them if they had light skin I would assume were farang). I didn't think much of it at the time. I always thought Thais range from looking fully chinese to almost Indian.

    In recent years I've noticed a decline in number of native Thais. Few years ago I only seen a handful of native Thai faces. Now I see absolutely none. Everyone looks oriental. I would've thought I was in Vietnam based on faces alone. Is it just me or is the diversity of faces decreasing in Thailand? Why do you think this is?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Hanumanstar; 11-10-15 at 12:50 AM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hanumanstar For This Useful Post:

    Marie (11-10-15)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Thais all look Chinese now??

    BTW I'm referring to central Thais not people from the south.

    If this is true I assume there would've been more dark Thais the further in the past to the point where dark Siamese were the majority.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hanumanstar For This Useful Post:

    Marie (11-10-15)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mountains, USA
    Posts
    5,007
    Thanks
    6,185
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

    Re: Thais all look Chinese now??

    Hi Hanumanstar, I must admit that I find this a curious topic for your first post. I am trying to decipher where you are coming from and where you are trying to go to with this.

    If I understand correctly, you are Thai, from the central part of Thailand, now living in Singapore. You have noticed that Central Thai people look different than you remember them looking sometime in the past.

    I will throw out a few thoughts. Sometimes when we are away from our home country for a while, upon returning many things seem different such as mannerisms, style, and yes, even general appearances. I have noticed this myself after being away for a while.

    I have no idea how old you are, but I do know that at one time it would have been unacceptable for people of certain classes to intermarry. An example would be the marriage of a Thai with a Chinese Thai.

    This last thought is something I would be surprised to find you had not thought of before. That is that some people are having plastic surgery to widen their eyes and change their nose, and also a lot of people are whitening their skin.

    Do these thoughts make sense to you?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

    Marie (11-10-15)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    7,491
    Thanks
    4,204
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

    Re: Thais all look Chinese now??

    Hi Haumanstar,

    First of all, welcome to the forums! Like Susana, your comment caught my interest. I am a frequent visitor of Thailand, but mostly spend longer time in Bangkok and suburbs rather than in other areas. Now that you have mentioned it, yes, it seems I am seeing mostly "Chinese- looking" Thais now than dark-complexioned ones. Perhaps Susana is right with her theory?

    However, I have a different observation regarding this -
    I always thought Thais range from looking fully chinese to almost Indian.
    For the dark-skinned Thais, I have been seeing more of the types who look more like Malays than Indians. Such that they closely resemble dark-brown, Malay-looking Indonesians, Malaysians or Filipinos. In mixed groups (like in conferences, seminars, etc.) it is hard to tell them apart.
    Last edited by Marie; 11-10-15 at 09:35 PM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

    Susana (11-10-15)

  9. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    599
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 169 Times in 129 Posts

    Re: Thais all look Chinese now??

    Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Hi Hanumanstar, I must admit that I find this a curious topic for your first post. I am trying to decipher where you are coming from and where you are trying to go to with this.

    If I understand correctly, you are Thai, from the central part of Thailand, now living in Singapore. You have noticed that Central Thai people look different than you remember them looking sometime in the past.

    I will throw out a few thoughts. Sometimes when we are away from our home country for a while, upon returning many things seem different such as mannerisms, style, and yes, even general appearances. I have noticed this myself after being away for a while.

    I have no idea how old you are, but I do know that at one time it would have been unacceptable for people of certain classes to intermarry. An example would be the marriage of a Thai with a Chinese Thai.

    This last thought is something I would be surprised to find you had not thought of before. That is that some people are having plastic surgery to widen their eyes and change their nose, and also a lot of people are whitening their skin.

    Do these thoughts make sense to you?
    Last time I was back in Europe after maybe 5-7 years, I thought the people have changed a lot in appearance. In fact they didn't. I remembered them wrong. People who hate school or military, 30 years later remember it as great time. We remember things like we want to remember them. "the good old times" which were usually not good.

    That might be one thing.

    The other thing at some place downtown...can't recall somewhere close to Siam Paragon, I once was puzzled by seeing lots of people with the same face. Obviously many of the women had some similar plastic surgeries.....
    If you go 20 km away on a market things are different.

    Friend of my wife has a daughter, saw her like 12 years ago and now. Total different person. Before black southern. Now white like a northern European and a complete different face. Obviously surgery everything (and she is just finish university, so she must be young).

    So:
    a ) Remembering the past wrong
    b ) there are changes but not in genetic, rich people like to modify their body.....These people are concentrated at some spots.

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    599
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 169 Times in 129 Posts

    Re: Thais all look Chinese now??

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanumanstar View Post
    Hello all! Sawadee Krup!

    Lately I've noticed a lack of native Thai faces.
    By native Thai I mean Thais who have more dark complexions, including dark skin, large eyes, sometimes curly hair and overall less mongoloid appearance in contrast to the lighter or more mongoloid Thais.

    For me growing up even though they were not the majority where I was, there was still fair share of dark Thais in my village. I knew some Thais who could pass for Indian, if I saw them in Bangkok today I would assume they were south asian (some of them if they had light skin I would assume were farang). I didn't think much of it at the time. I always thought Thais range from looking fully chinese to almost Indian.

    In recent years I've noticed a decline in number of native Thais. Few years ago I only seen a handful of native Thai faces. Now I see absolutely none. Everyone looks oriental. I would've thought I was in Vietnam based on faces alone. Is it just me or is the diversity of faces decreasing in Thailand? Why do you think this is?
    Thanks!
    "to almost Indian" is a bit silly.....take a map and wikipedia and look up how many ethnic in India live and how they look like. You could hardly find a more diverse place than India. It stretches from almost European white to almost African black. From very short to very tall people.....etc etc

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Thais all look Chinese now??

    Thank you all I am delighted to join the forum. Yes I realize that this may be an odd topic. I am central Thai. I am mixed with European actually. Currently I am living in Singapore. I was born in Thailand and moved out when I was young. I have been going back to Thailand every few months so I have a strong affinity with Thailand.

    I realize that childhood memories can often be ascewed due to time passing and changing mindsets. But I think it's not just my perception. Many Thais are now getting plastic surgery to reduce mongoloid features. These people I knew were too poor to afford surgery, let alone for cosmetic reasons and they're family members were also dark complexion like them so its a genetic thing.

    I'm not sure about when it would have been unacceptable for a Thai to marry a Chinese. Chinese were indeed historically wary of marrying outside their race. Big waves of Chinese came down in the 19th and especially 20th centuries and married Thais. The Thais and Chinese seem to get along very well as there's a lack of cultural taboos.
    Now Thailand has the largest Chinese community in South East Asia. I believe 1 in 5 Thais now have Chinese blood. That's much more than other SEA countries. Also Thais traditionally prefer light over darker skin. I believe these may be reasons for Thais looking more Oriental.
    Last edited by Hanumanstar; 17-10-15 at 04:37 PM.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    กรุงเทพฯ
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 521 Times in 294 Posts

    Re: Thais all look Chinese now??

    Hanumanstar I've seen this same post on a couple forums with the same user name.

    While I'm all for "polling the masses" concerning all things Thai, I too find your post (especially for a first post) quite "off the wall" <- a polite way for me to say it's out there dude. Granted your observations are just that, and may or may not have a kernel of truth to it from our perspective, but you sure are pushing the boundaries of normalcy in the post, especially for someone half european and half 'central thai'.. I mean to a thai you're not even ไทยแท้!

    Anecdotally, almost ALL the thais have chinese blood in their lineage if you go back far enough. That's where the people (that would later become thai) migrated here from, way back when the land (which would later become the country thailand) was ruled by the Angkor empire.

    Again, I don't know what you're on about with this post, which is puzzling, but maybe I'm just not that smart..

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

    billyboy (19-10-15), guava (18-10-15), wilma (18-10-15)

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    599
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 169 Times in 129 Posts

    Re: Thais all look Chinese now??

    Quote Originally Posted by Tod-Daniels View Post
    Hanumanstar I've seen this same post on a couple forums with the same user name.

    While I'm all for "polling the masses" concerning all things Thai, I too find your post (especially for a first post) quite "off the wall" <- a polite way for me to say it's out there dude. Granted your observations are just that, and may or may not have a kernel of truth to it from our perspective, but you sure are pushing the boundaries of normalcy in the post, especially for someone half european and half 'central thai'.. I mean to a thai you're not even ไทยแท้!

    Anecdotally, almost ALL the thais have chinese blood in their lineage if you go back far enough. That's where the people (that would later become thai) migrated here from, way back when the land (which would later become the country thailand) was ruled by the Angkor empire.

    Again, I don't know what you're on about with this post, which is puzzling, but maybe I'm just not that smart..
    If we go back far enough we (includes Thais) have all African blood in us, or going back more we have all monkey blood in us.....

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    30,363
    Thanks
    6,408
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

    Re: Thais all look Chinese now??

    Quote Originally Posted by h90 View Post
    If we go back far enough we (includes Thais) have all African blood in us, or going back more we have all monkey blood in us.....
    Um-that may no longer be true.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •