PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Surin to Trat

Thread: Surin to Trat

Thanks

Surin to Trat

Hi all,

I'm excited to be heading to Thailand again in December. Wondering if you have up to date information on travel between Surin and Trat (without going via Bangkok). I found a 2010 post that suggested:

1. Bus from Surin to Sa Kaeo, Sa Kaeo to Chanthaburi, and Chantaburi to Trat; or
    2. Train from Surin - Korat, then bus Korat - Chanthaburi, and change for another bus Chanthaburi - Trat.

I'd be grateful for your advice and opinions. Also open to accommodation suggestions in Surin and Trat (travelling with my partner and our 10 year old).

Many thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Surin to Trat

I was in this region 5 years ago. Unless they've built a new road, there's no direct access to Trat from Isaan, you have to go via Chanthaburi (at least with public transport). Your option 2 sounds the best to me. Train from Surin to Korat. The train being my prefered method of travel in Thailand. 3rd class is super cheap or free if you're Thai. Maybe spend a few days in Korat if you have time? It's a nice moated city with several well worth attractions to visit, including a Zoo and an old Angkor Wat period temple. I forget the name of the temple but these Angkor Wat period of Khmer temples are called "Ku" in Thailand, not Wat.

Then hop on a bus from Korat to Chanthaburi which again is worth staying in for a few days if you have the time. Lots of gems and rabbit motifs in Chanthaburi Trat is only a short drive from Chanthaburi, Maybe 50km (30miles) or there abouts if i remember right?

I visited Trat for the day on my motorbike from Chanthaburi. There are some nice beaches and the thinest stretch of land in Thailand which also borders Cambodia. Other than that and a disembarkment point to some of the islands like Koh Chang, i don't know what else there is worth seeing or doing.
    Last edited by Arwing; 07-11-15 at 03:13 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arwing For This Useful Post:

emu (07-11-15), Khun Don (07-11-15), SavageAngel (07-11-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Chanthaburi has the largest Catholic cathedral in Thailand-worth a look. You can also arrange a tour out to the gem fields if you are interested. Gem market in Chanthaburi town at weekends is worth visiting for the novelty as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

SavageAngel (07-11-15)

Thanks

Thanks so much. Some great ideas there. We'll be staying on Koh Chang for Xmas but it sounds like we'll enjoy getting there.

Very, very grateful for the feedback and ideas.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageAngel For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (07-11-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 697 Posts

I like to stay at the Thongtarin Hotel when stopping over in Surin. It is a very nice large hotel, and I've only ever paid 1000 baht/ night. There is a large open beergarden between the hotel and the road, incorporating a resaurant and karaoke. The hotel is about 400m from Surin bus terminal. Enjoy your trip.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (07-11-15), SavageAngel (08-11-15)

Thanks

Thanks Emu. I will look up the Thongtarin Hotel.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I checked my blog for some info on Khorat. The Angkor Wat / Khmer period temple is called "Phi Mae Historical Park". It's around 60km (40miles) north of Khorat in the district of Phi Mae. I'd really recommend seeing this if you've not been to Angkor Wat, Cambodia or seen this style of temple before. It's the largest example of this kind of structure in Thailand. Also, instead of facing east, it faces Angkor Wat. Not sure if you're on a budget? but i stayed at Sakol Korat Hotel which was 150B 5 years ago. I "think" it was near a market near the city's south gate. If you've ever been to Chiang Mai, Khorat is a smaller version. Here's a link to the entry describing my time in Khorat; http://www.travelpod.com/z/thailand_dream/1/1284574069

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	21654
    Ku Phi Mae Historical park. I think it was 200B entry.
    Last edited by Arwing; 09-11-15 at 12:21 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arwing For This Useful Post:

SavageAngel (27-11-15)

Thread Information