PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My Travel Story: All Roads Lead to Chatuchak Market, on Weekends in Bangkok
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

All Roads Lead to Chatuchak Market, on Weekends in Bangkok

I had scheduled my visit to the Bangkok Butterfly Garden on a weekend to shoot two birds in one stone, so to speak. Moving over from the Butterfly Garden to the Chatuchak Market is no tour de force. It's only a walk in the park. Literally.

This time no more motorbike ride for me. A leisurely stroll brought me to my destination. It was a cool day. A treat, actually. I had come armed with an umbrella. But there was no need for it, even at high noon-unbelievable!

I had been to Chatuchak Market countless times before and every time I went, I couldn't help getting awed by the mere size of the complex and the diversity of goods sold. It's like everything I like to buy is there! This market has been my training ground for my first lessons on how to bargain in Thai- a skill I find extremely useful in my lifestyle as a true-blood haggler type of shopper.

This wide array of merchandises could easily magnetize me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chatuchak-market.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	364.2 KB 
ID:	21711

There used to be a time when the crowd inside the alleys was so immense--like a bumper-to-bumper situation I'd feel suffocated. I'd then go out to get some fresh air.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	344095.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	21713
    Shoppers at Chatuchak market outside

The volume of shoppers was definitely less, not sure if it's because there are less tourists now? (I had noticed this when I arrived in Suvarnabhumi Airport and I waltzed my way to the exit in about 10 minutes, including the time to collect my luggage from the baggage belt.)

I had no intent to do serious shopping in Chatuchak this time, unlike before. The reason partly due to cured addiction to shopping (I underwent rehabilitation!), and partly to newly crafted philosophies related to traveling light. Anyway, I picked up a light, pretty stoneware vase that would perfectly complement an ensemble being collected by a very good friend back home. Nothing for myself. (I've told you, I am cured!)

There are many shops, like the one below, that sell different kinds of ceramics, and they are reasonably priced. I got my vase for 120 Baht, though was originally quoted 300 Baht (still cheap).

Name:  chatuchak-market-bangkok-shopping-hotel-tour-packagetour-thailand-traveler-vacation-cheaphotel.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  27.7 KB

(more)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

emu (20-11-15), Khun Don (20-11-15), Susana (20-11-15), taszmaniac (20-11-15)

Thread Information