PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Economy class
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economy class

Thanks

Economy class

Good morning & season greetings.
    My return flight from BKK- Frankfurt- Ams departed on 24-12-15 at 23:50. Boarding the aircraft ( Lufthansa) and arriving at my seat, I found a young woman sitting in front of me with her seat fully reclined. I asked her to pull up her seat (brace) since I am tall with long legs and need the space to sit comfortable. She said that she needed to sleep and she would talk to the Steward/ Stewardess and then got her seat upright. At some time after lift off she again fully reclined pushing her seat onto my knees. I asked her to pull up since she was hurting my knees. At that time a German Steward came and asked me why I am so stressed out. I said that its an 11 hours flight and the lady is hurting my knees by fully reclining her seat. He said that this is an economy class and if I wanted comfort ,I should book 'first' or 'business' class.
    I said that I am not the one who wants to sleep , all I need is the space I paid for to sit comfortable during my flight.
    He then suggested that I moved to another seat. I then said that I am not the one who started the fire and why can't she move. I also asked him if there no available vacant seat, how would he have solve this problem.
    At that point a Stewardess came and kindly asked me to move to another seat and apologizing for her colleague's misconduct which I did. I can't remember being treated like this before and have always travelled Economy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rijmond For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (27-12-15)

Thanks

Re: Economy class

Yes I hate flying economy class. Seats are so cheap nowadays and you get so many types of people that don't know how to travel without causing inconvenience to others. Combine that with today's sense of entitlement and its s nightmare.

I just flew from Bangkok to Sydney last week and am flying back to Bangkok on Tuesday: a 9.5 hour flight.

At my age I think I will do my best to either scrape up enough for business class or try to get enough miles to upgrade in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (27-12-15), rijmond (28-12-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

A pet hate of mine also. Several journeys of 12+ hrs of "Cattle Class" both ways between Thailand and the UK has put me off it for life!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

rijmond (28-12-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

I doubt I will ever fly any way other than economy, and this is one of my peeves also. Height has nothing to do with it for me. I don't like looking down at someone elses face, and besides that, I feel it is an impingement on my space. Neither do I want my seat fully reclined so that I am in someone else's space/face. It's just too intimate for me!

I think it would be more fair to all if seats only reclined, let's say for example, no more than 12 inches/30.48 cm.

Here's a thought, which is just that as it would cause you more trouble, but next time you have a seat fully reclined in your space, use it as a foot rest and stretch your legs out alongside the other person's head. I wonder how they would like that?

Thanks

A while ago I had a Eva Air flight BKK-Vienna. I am 1.70 tall and my knees locked on the seat in front. A taller guy close to me had to spread his legs so he could sit.

But in your case the woman in front of you is complete right: She has paid to have a seat she can recline as she wants. But of course it is the job of the airline to have seats normal people can sit (assuming you aren't 2.10 meter tall).
    I checked a few times for Business class as I often can't sleep at all for 11 hours, the flight is in the night and I need 24 hours to recover (minimum). But the business class prices are beyond funny.
    (Economy 800, Business class 3000+ Euro). For me it would be perfect to have one more class: Super cheap...only water and sandwich, even smaller than now (maybe size/weight limit for passenger)...so people who aren't well off have a chance to see the world. But upgrade the Economy class a bit...just a bit more comfortable and a bit more expensive.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Some airlines to their credit offer a Premium Economy class.

Last edited by Khun Don; 27-12-15 at 10:51 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

homejames (03-01-16), Marie (27-12-15), rijmond (28-12-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Rijmond,

It's true, this is one of the discomforts of traveling in economy class. Though the German Steward should have not rudely pointed it out. Just adding insult to injury. I don't know what's a good comeback for that kind of comment. Maybe something like--"You are quite right, the seats are definitely more comfortable there, and the flight attendants perhaps bettered-mannered"?

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Jerome (29-12-15), Khun Don (27-12-15), rijmond (28-12-15)

Thanks

I was surprised by Rigmonds comments about EVA's seats as they have a longer pitch than many airlines. Some seats however have less room. Check with Seat Guru to check which seats ate good. EVA airlines have Premium economy seats 39inch pitch and a little wider on all of there routes from Europe to Bkk. I always fly with them.

Thanks

Hello Mike , its not Eva air but Lufthansa airways ( German airlines
    I travelled with Eva air in 2012 and its one of the best airlines I have travelled with so far.

Thanks

Hi Susana thanks for you advice . Although I'm a guy who don't like to get into trouble, I do speak up for my rights so maybe if confronted with such problems ,I may do just as you say.

Thread Information