PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai retailers cut opening hours to save power
    Thanks
    Thai retailers cut opening hours to save power

Singapore Straits Times, 10th September 2004

BANGKOK - Major retailers in Thailand are voluntarily shortening their operating hours starting yesterday as part of a government initiative to save energy in the face of high global oil prices, an official said.

The measure proposed by the energy and commerce ministries was approved by Thailand's Cabinet last month following talks with retail business owners.

'It started today, it is confirmed,' said police Lieutenant-Colonel Terdsak Puthon, an assistant to Energy Minister Prommin Lertsuridej. 'The government asked for cooperation from the stores.'

Under the guidelines, department stores and superstores have agreed to limit their operating hours within 11am to 9.30pm from Mondays to Thursdays, with closing time extended to 10pm on Fridays.

On weekends and holidays, they will be open from 10am to 10pm, according to an earlier government announcement.

Previously, the stores were open from 10am to 9pm on weekdays and 9am to 9pm on weekends.

The government has not said how much savings it anticipates from the shortened hours - 120 minutes in total per week.

Large wholesale markets are also expected to cut back their hours, while petrol stations - most of which normally operate around the clock - will be shut from midnight until 5am.

Convenience stores such as 7-Eleven are exempt from the new guidelines.

It was not clear when the retailers would resume normal hours.

Thailand adopted the measure because of this year's sharp rise in world oil prices. -- AP

Thanks
    Yeah... hopefully the shops will resume their opening hours real soon. cos I go to bangkok about twice a week, each trip only lasting 1day... by the time i reach bangkok its already afternoon almost evening already and i leave the next day around 2pm..

basically for the last few trips, i found shopping malls closing at 9pm and places like Bed Supper Club and Mystique closing at 1 or 2am! which is a real pity....

Thanks
    I think it is awesome how Thailand is able to institute large programs like this so effectively. Many other (wealthier) nations could do well to emulate programs such as this, and not just for the monetary savings either...

-mike
    fnord!

Thread Information