PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Apocalypse

Thread: Apocalypse

Thanks

Apocalypse

January 2nd 2016 I was at the gym watching a documentary on National Geographic TV about atrocities committed against mankind. Its was a summary of events occurred in the last century. Examples are the Japanese aggression, the Holocaust , names like Stalin, Hitler, Churchill, Mussolini, Eisenhower, Keizer of Japan( cant remember the name) and others who were responsible directly or indirectly for mass slaughter of millions of civilians.
    I don't much about the first & 2nd WW but TV programs like this one helps me to understand the scale of damage and total annihilation of cities and her populace by war.
    So my question is:
    Is the world a safer place than lets say 100 years ago?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Re: Apocalypse

We still have war, hatred, and greed, so I do not think the world is safer. I realize this is a very simple viewpoint, but it is what immediately comes to mind.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

rijmond (05-01-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Unfortunately, now, a small number of people have the desire, and the ability, to create a huge amount of damage. IMO, "the world", today, is a much more dangerous place.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

mikeheart (05-01-16), rijmond (05-01-16)

Thanks

Look at Iraq, Syria, Africa, Yemen.
    Europe is safer at the moment, well most of it, see how some East Ukraine cities look like and how USA and Europe applauded the Fascists there.
    Recall that Ukraine said they'll support the ISIS in Syria when they fight Russia. A few incidents and an unstable leader in Russia and we could have a full scale war which is nothing better than we had last century.

Or look at the temple issue with Cambodia, with some unlucky incident or 1 single crazy commander a full scale war could happen with all they ugly effects to civilians.

I buy the way don't see much difference if you draft the farmer boy and he dies as soldier or if you kill him as civilian. I somehow don't understand the logic why it should be acceptable to kill drafted soldiers but not civilians?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to h90 For This Useful Post:

rijmond (05-01-16)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I wouldn't believe too much of what you watch on Nat Geo since the Rupert Murdoch take-over. Take the Hiroshima bomb. That was death and destruction like the world had never seen before. The reasoning behind it? "it put an end to the war". Even if you agree with that, why did they drop a 2nd nuke on Nagasaki 3 days later? Hiroshima was a political and military strong hold but Nagasaki wasn't. There was no need for it. It's an atrocity within an atrocity and often overlooked. Human beings, as a race, are evil. Throughout history we have killed necessarily and unnecessarily.

Forget this century and the last. Only two things have changed since civilisation began. 1) Our technology and weapons of mass destruction. 2) The fact countries now use politics and propaganda to justify their actions. The worlds newest country, the USA was built on genocide. Western governments talk a good game but they're all as bad as one another. Take operation Northwoods for example. This can also be found on the official freedom of information government website. Although it was rejected by the Kennedy administraion, it at least proves they're capable of such evil. Coincidence JFK was assasinated less than a year later?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods

So my answer would be that the world was much safer 100 years ago than it is now. We in the west are just under the illusion it's safer. All the innocent people being killed in the middle east know the truth.

Thread Information