PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My Travel Story: Malaysia / Thailand 2015/16. - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

Re: Malaysia / Thailand 2015/16.

Mae Hong Son,

What can i say about this place except it is so peaceful and quiet after those noisy bars in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, don't get me wrong there is nothing i like better than a few beers and a game of pool but the incessant shrieking from the girls in those bars drives me crazy. Mae Hong Son is situated further north from Chiang Mai and a great ride for motorbike lovers who favour what is called the Mae Hong Son Loop. You can drive if you wish but there is about 1,800 or more hairpin bends on the way. I have been by car and mini van before but now i prefer to fly. You can go with Kan Air in a very small 10 seater plane , it has a single front propeller, it makes for a good adventure unless you have a fear of flying then it is not for you. Costs, my flights there for this forthcoming trip with Kan Air cost me less than 2000 Baht for the return trip. It is the only airline i have flown with that serves the in-flight snack and drinks in the departure lounge.

I find Mae Hong Son a little oasis, it has a lovely lake in the town centre called Nong Jon Khun, probably not spelt right but it is a lovely focal point and meeting place. In the evenings there is a small lively hill tribes market and a lovely Temple high up overlooking the lake which will provide you with spectacular views of all surrounding areas, I think it is called Wat Doi Kong Moo.The airport is extremely small but pristine and well cared for, when you land and exit the airport your first shock is the peace and quiet, it is wonderful. I stay at the Piya Guest House, well they call it a guest house but it is more of a small collection of ground floor bungalows, spacious clean and all with a large bathroom and good shower, prices are 700 Baht per night. I would recommend for sure if you plan to visit pre book or you might be disappointed. Here are two pictures taken just a few metres from Piya Guest House, it is next to the lake. The early morning one is Mikes and the later one in the evening is mine. Can't wait to get back there in a few weeks time.

Billy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mae Hong Son 2..jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	354.1 KB 
ID:	22180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Billy Mae Hong Son..jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	22181  

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

emu (12-07-16), kfchugo (10-07-16), Khun Don (10-07-16), Marie (10-07-16), mikeheart (10-07-16), Susana (10-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    Mae Hong Son,

What can i say about this place except it is so peaceful and quiet after those noisy bars in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, don't get me wrong there is nothing i like better than a few beers and a game of pool but the incessant shrieking from the girls in those bars drives me crazy.
    Haha! Me, too. I can't stand that kind of noise, especially if the voices are high-pitched. Truth is, if you shriek constantly, your vocal chords could get damaged.
    I have been by car and mini van before but now i prefer to fly. You can go with Kan Air in a very small 10 seater plane , it has a single front propeller, it makes for a good adventure unless you have a fear of flying then it is not for you.
    I have flown with that kind of commercial aircraft in South Pacific. There were only 3 passengers, including the pilot.The fare was not expensive, so I was thinking then, how were they making money? There was no aircon, though, but still aviation fuel must cost much. I suppose if the plane was full and the flight was long, the trip could be uncomfortable on a hot day.Luckily I traveled early morning. The plane was also flying too low you could see what people were doing in their houses. LOL

Yes, I would consider taking the plane going to Mae Hong Son since I am the type who gets car sick easily in zigzag roads. I suffer from motion/ travel sickness, known scientifically as KINETOSIS, a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement. Too complicated to explain, but definitely not fun to have it. LOL Drugs like dimenhydrinate help, but the side effect of too much drowsiness makes me useless for at least a day.

It is the only airline i have flown with that serves the in-flight snack and drinks in the departure lounge.
    I have had that once for a 40-minute domestic flight. They served light refreshments composed of juice/coffee/soft drinks and biscuits/ sandwiches/cookies. I know many airlines now have stopped serving free meals on board even for international travel to cut down on costs.

when you land and exit the airport your first shock is the peace and quiet,
    Lovely! Just my type of travel destination!
    Thanks for sharing, Billy!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

billyboy (10-07-16), Khun Don (12-07-16), mikeheart (12-07-16), Susana (10-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

Sorry, backtracking a bit, I just found a couple of more photographs from the Chiang Mai Royal Horticultural Gardens we visited.

Billy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gardens 3..jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	22184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gardens 4..jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	22185  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (12-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 697 Posts

Very nice photos and story billyboy. The plane sounds like a Cessna Caravan. They have storage in an underbelly compartment. Been around for a long time, so sturdy performers.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

billyboy (12-07-16)

Thread Information