Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,937 Posts

Re: How I Became a Part-Time Vegetarian

That is scarry, H90, in part because the pesticide use is so out in the open. Here in the U.S. I have read about the illnesses of farm workers, usually the migrants who work in the fields.

When you order noodles it is easy to ask them to not use sugar or msg since they put it in the bowl right on the spot. Curry is a different matter, since so many cooks use the pre-packaged curry pastes which have msg in them already. Probably some people who make their own paste use msg also, but I'm not sure about that.

Once my father-in-law took me to a meeting at a hospital where we were served a meal, Thai style of course, with lots of dishes on the table. While sitting there eating I suddenly had the most horrible numbing feeling which started at the base of my neck and traveled up the back of my head and covered my scalp. I knew I had eaten msg, but I didn't say anything. The reaction is not the same every time, but I always know what the culprit is and try to stay away from it.

I believe it is possible to find safer foods in Bangkok, but I don't know about particular neighborhoods. Maybe that would be a good thread for this forum. People could list locations, either restaurants or markets, which sell organic or home grown foods.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    That is scarry, H90, in part because the pesticide use is so out in the open. Here in the U.S. I have read about the illnesses of farm workers, usually the migrants who work in the fields.

When you order noodles it is easy to ask them to not use sugar or msg since they put it in the bowl right on the spot. Curry is a different matter, since so many cooks use the pre-packaged curry pastes which have msg in them already. Probably some people who make their own paste use msg also, but I'm not sure about that.

Once my father-in-law took me to a meeting at a hospital where we were served a meal, Thai style of course, with lots of dishes on the table. While sitting there eating I suddenly had the most horrible numbing feeling which started at the base of my neck and traveled up the back of my head and covered my scalp. I knew I had eaten msg, but I didn't say anything. The reaction is not the same every time, but I always know what the culprit is and try to stay away from it.

I believe it is possible to find safer foods in Bangkok, but I don't know about particular neighborhoods. Maybe that would be a good thread for this forum. People could list locations, either restaurants or markets, which sell organic or home grown foods.
    When I buy vegetables or fruits (I almost don't eat vegetables, but I force myself to eat 1-2 apples per day and when I cook meat I add deep frozen carrots, corn and some green things I can't tell in English + I often eat garlic), I buy the Organic or Royal Projects in the supermarket....expensive but at least there is a good reason to trust them. For meat it is a sad situation.
    Saw one staff eating soup: He put in a full spoon (no not tea spoon) of MSG and two full spoons of sugar into it and most probably it contained MSG already....
    MSG causes people to overeat and it is a great tool to mask low quality....put less meat into the soup, add MSG and it still taste rich.
    Produce ham, add water, stabilizer and if it is too much maybe even soy protein and MSG and you can basically sell water for the price of meat.
    So industry and cooks love it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to h90 For This Useful Post:

Marie (24-01-16), Susana (24-01-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,937 Posts

That's a good idea about the frozen vegetables, even in Thailand, especially if it's the only way to get organic. I have a garden every summer, even though I am not a very good or experienced gardener. I grow everything organically, but some things like green beans for instance, I buy frozen at the grocery story. The price of organic is coming down, and it just makes sense to buy certain things.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (24-01-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    That's a good idea about the frozen vegetables, even in Thailand, especially if it's the only way to get organic. I have a garden every summer, even though I am not a very good or experienced gardener. I grow everything organically, but some things like green beans for instance, I buy frozen at the grocery story. The price of organic is coming down, and it just makes sense to buy certain things.
    We try own garden...we grow very well the Thai Beans and Chilis. On everything else it is a complete fail

7. The Following User Says Thank You to h90 For This Useful Post:

Susana (25-01-16)

Thread Information