Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,185 Times in 3,338 Posts

How I make yoghurt the easy way

How I make yoghurt the easy way

January 26, 2016
    By Richard Barrow

Iíve wanted to make my own yogurt for a long time now. However, I lack the skill, energy and patience to even to start to work how to do it. A friend of mine gave me some instructions on how to make yogurt from scratch. But, it seemed very time consuming. Which is why I was interested in this Yogurt Maker that I picked up from Central department store last year for 890 Baht. I have looked at others but I went for this one in the end. As it is powered, you donít need to fuss about getting the right temperature. The milk stays in the carton and so you donít need to worry about washing up afterwards. I saw some with half a dozen small jars which looked like a lot of hard work.

For this yogurt maker, I used normal plain yogurt from my local 7-Eleven. You need this for the starting culture. I used plain, but you can also use flavoured yogurt. Greek yogurt is also good but obviously more expensive. I then bought a carton of milk. This fits exactly in the yogurt maker. Or you can transfer it to a plastic container of a similar size. Next, you put in your yogurt. A couple of tablespoons is enough. Give it a good stir. Put on the lid and plug it in. Then wait 8-12 hours. It doesnít matter if itís still a little runny as it will thicken a little once it starts to cool down in the fridge. Thatís it!

The taste varies depending on how long you keep it in the yogurt maker. So, experiment with that and also which yogurt you use as the starter. Obviously try and avoid yogurt that is full of sugar, additives and preservatives. When you have a good batch, save the last spoonfuls to start your next batch. It will keep in the fridge for a good week. Although you have the initial outlay of 890 Baht, you will save a lot of money in the long run. Itís so cheap to make yogurt this way as a litre of milk is only 44 Baht. As usual, let me know in the comments below if you have any suggestions for making yogurt or if you use a different machine.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Marie (26-01-16), Susana (26-01-16)

Thanks

Re: How I make yoghurt the easy way

I presume that it will still work if a skimmed or semi skimmed milk with respectively a zero fat and low fat yogurt culture?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,943 Posts

I love yogurt! Since I gave up ice cream a few years ago I have yogurt every day with fruit, usually in a smoothie I make at home.

I like the idea of making yogurt in the carton. For one thing, it is made of paper rather than plastic, as well as being so convenient. I would use organic milk and yogurt, and make sure the yogurt has live enzymes.

I have a yogurt maker with small jars. I have also made yogurt in a crock pot, and crockery in a warm oven. It is all a lot of trouble, and although I am saving plastic from the landfill, I am not saving money by doing it this way, and it is time consuming. However, this way looks so simple that I am determined to try it, even if I have to improvise and make yogurt in the carton but without the machine. I will look for the maker on ebay, too.

Thanks

I eat a lot of zero fat yogurt which I get from a Lidl supermarket for 45 pence (US$ 0.60 /TBT 23 aprox) -half or even almost a third lower in price for a large 500ml pot than other supermarkets-so not worth making my own in my case.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (26-01-16)

Thanks

I can't find it on ebay, and a google search nets only a few seconds ad on youtube, so I wonder if it is manufactured in Thailand?

Thanks

More likely China. It does not seem available in UK despite us having the same domestic electrical output as Thailand. Safety?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (26-01-16)

Thanks

Found this. Note the model number!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (26-01-16)

Thanks

I found a yogurt maker under the name of Wellbeing on ebay, but it isn't the same model, and is very expensive. $159. US dollars with free shipping from South Korea. I could buy a lot of organic yogurt for that!

The idea of making yogurt in the milk carton is so simple that I should have thought of it myself. Another 'well duh' moment for me! I think I will try making it in the carton, placed in a crock pot on the "keep warm" setting. I use the crockpot in the winter to add moisture to the air, so I might as well make yogurt while I'm at it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (26-01-16)

Thanks

Even cheaper yogurt!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (27-01-16)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

At first I only used UHT milk and yoghurt that I knew had live culture. But, anything seems to work. I'm still experimenting with different brands of yoghurt. Yes, I think it comes from China. I saw the ones with small jars but that looked like a lot of washing up to be done afterwards!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (27-01-16), Susana (27-01-16)

Thread Information