Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How I make yoghurt the easy way

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    I presume that it will still work if a skimmed or semi skimmed milk with respectively a zero fat and low fat yogurt culture?
    yes fat doesn't matter the bacteria eat the lactose in the milk, not the fat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    At first I only used UHT milk and yoghurt that I knew had live culture. But, anything seems to work. I'm still experimenting with different brands of yoghurt. Yes, I think it comes from China. I saw the ones with small jars but that looked like a lot of washing up to be done afterwards!
    It also works without the Yoghurt Maker. I make it sometimes: Just a bit yoghurt, mixed into the milk. I think the optimum temperature is around 37 degree Celsius (verify, I am not sure) so usually Thai temperature is OK (if it is 34 it is good enough). But not all yoghurts are active. Once for no obvious reason it didn't get sour but a bit later started fouling.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to h90 For This Useful Post:

Susana (27-01-16)

Thanks

Add: 45 degree Celsius, not 37.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to h90 For This Useful Post:

Susana (28-01-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,919 Posts

For Americans like me who always need help , 45 celsius is 113 degrees farenheit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    For Americans like me who always need help , 45 celsius is 113 degrees farenheit.
    yes, but these small pets aren't too sensitive, if less they just work slower and at some point you risk that some fungus is faster. Important is you don't go too warm. And I wouldn't go full 45 as there are a few different bacterial and I don't know if they can all do 45. 37-40 is what I would use.
    Farenheit: a nice trick: just put in Google or DuckDuckGo: 45 degree Celsius to Farenheit and it shows the result.
    (I do it that way for many conversations now.....I can keep the brain in shutdown mode and let Google thing for me )
    40= 104
    37=98.6

8. The Following User Says Thank You to h90 For This Useful Post:

Susana (28-01-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,919 Posts

I've been trying to remember what temperature I set the oven to when I was making yogurt that way. I think it was around 100, or whatever the lowest temperature was. I agree that it probably doesn't need to be exact.

My mom and I used to make buttermilk in a carton by using regular milk with a starter of buttermilk. Then we placed it on top of the refrigerator (I think it was a bit warmer up there), and shook it vigorously occasionally. It was not an exact science either, but it worked. I think the difference with the yogurt would be to not shake it. I had almost forgotten about making buttermilk until now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    I've been trying to remember what temperature I set the oven to when I was making yogurt that way. I think it was around 100, or whatever the lowest temperature was. I agree that it probably doesn't need to be exact.

My mom and I used to make buttermilk in a carton by using regular milk with a starter of buttermilk. Then we placed it on top of the refrigerator (I think it was a bit warmer up there), and shook it vigorously occasionally. It was not an exact science either, but it worked. I think the difference with the yogurt would be to not shake it. I had almost forgotten about making buttermilk until now.
    You should not be over the temperature, under is no problem.
    shaking or not is no problem, just you won't get the solid hard yoghurt if you shake it.
    avoid putting anything else into the milk, as less as possible other bacteria.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to h90 For This Useful Post:

Susana (28-01-16)

Thread Information