PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Crackdown on overstayers in Thailand starts in March 2016 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Crackdown on overstayers in Thailand starts in March 2016

Quote Originally Posted by h90 View Post
    But on the other hand the complete immigration and visa rules should be considered and improved, alone that every embassy acts different is something that simply can't be
    h90 - I think you're confusing apples with durian..

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs controls the thai embassies and consulates which issue visas for thailand outside of thailand.

The Thai department of Immigration issues visas, extensions of stay INSIDE thailand.

The overstay rules (while implemented by Thai Immigration) actually fall under the Ministry of Interior.

Even though it took them from July of 2014 (when they first announced this) until now to get these laws on the books, they are most definitely comin' into effect..

After having talked to more staff at Chaengwattana and Suvarnabhumi than I can count is, all I can say is;
    IF you're on overstay GET IT SORTED OUT before the 20th of March!!

Thanks

Tod-Daniels:
    Interesting that split explains well into the confusion and that they have contradicting rules...
    I am not on overstay...I am working here with all the documents correct and proper :-)

Thanks

This might be of interest (or not).

It appears the overstay laws are being interpreted as they're written, at least at the airports in regards to overstays of UNDER 90 days.

A foreigner on a 60+ day overstay showed up at the airport, checked in, went to the overstay area, paid his fine (20K baht), got the overstay stamp and was on his way out..

That's because, the law is written saying IF you turn yourself in with an overstay of under 90 days, you're not banned or blacklisted.. Honestly, I had no idea checking in to fly out at the airport constituted "turning yourself in", but I guess it does..

I also don't know what woulda happened if they'd been on overstay of over 90 days either.. According to the law they would have been banned for a year..
    Anyway, just wanted you to know is all..

Please note; I am in NO WAY advocating foreigner's overstay their visas!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

Susana (14-04-16)

Thread Information