PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Want to stop being bullied into having Windows 10? Or maybe just control Updates? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Want to stop being bullied into having Windows 10? Or maybe just control Updates?

Quote Originally Posted by tempogain View Post
    How long ago? Things are pretty easy these days. In Linux Mint, you can install most things directly without any command line needed. But the need does pop up once in a while when it comes to tweaking things. If you're not comfortable with the command line at all, then probably not the best choice, for sure.
    On my main computer some Linux updates always killed some function....last thing was Audio but other problems happened before.
    I tried different one on the Laptop. On all the ubuntu based one there is one step in the installation that causes a complete crash if you click something wrong. Crash comes from the installation surface not because something wrong get installed. Some Wifi setting.
    Various small problems like frozen system when changing the display brightness on one ubuntu based but not on the other one. Can't handle lots of Wifi networks. Turning on and off Wifi is causing not working Wifi after time (intel Wifi nothing exotic).
    When it works, it works beautiful and performance is great, just it has too much troubles for a machine that is used for work.
    I went back to WinXP and Libre Office (spelling???) (Without Linux I wouldn't know about Libre Office so Linux opened my mind abit), it is complete trouble free and faster than Win7.
    Bought that computer when Vista came out, so it is very old now.

Thanks

Re: Want to stop being bullied into having Windows 10? Or maybe just control Updates?

Yeah, in fairness I'm the kind of guy who can always make the computer do what i want it to do sooner or later, and (usually) kind of enjoys the challenge It's a bit hands on for sure. Carry on!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tempogain For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (23-03-16)

Thanks

Yeah, in fairness I'm the kind of guy who can always make the computer do what i want it to do sooner or later, and (usually) kind of enjoys the challenge It's a bit hands on for sure. Carry on!
    Yes but in 2016 the OS shouldn't be a challenge. 1970 we could start cars in winter with some tricks. Today we expect to just turn the key without thinking.
    Same with the OS. WinXP and Win7 does that. And most probably Win10 will do after some updates. Linux does not. Apple products does.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h90 View Post
    Yes but in 2016 the OS shouldn't be a challenge. 1970 we could start cars in winter with some tricks. Today we expect to just turn the key without thinking.
    Same with the OS. WinXP and Win7 does that. And most probably Win10 will do after some updates. Linux does not. Apple products does.
    Such misinformation. Microsoft should send you a check. The fact is, there are several easy to install Linux distros which do work exceptionally well out of the box. The caveat is that you need to run them on supported hardware, and many major (and minor) PC hardware vendors are in bed with and beholden to Microsoft, and simply don't care about doing things like following established, standard technical specifications or developing and supporting non-Windows drivers.

As long as the majority of people are happy enough paying money on a regular basis to Microsoft and continue to buy into the wholly mistaken belief that Linux today is inherently an inferior operating system, the situation will only improve at a slow pace.

Apple has always maintained rigorous control over the hardware on which its operating system runs, which has been a major factor in its ease of use (both real and perceived) over the years.

Thanks

No they don't run well out of the box....installation routines that crashes, updates that shoot the system is not something that can be blamed on the hardware producer.
    And if there are incompatibility I don't care if it is total unfair and Microsoft bribes them, I need a system that I turn on and it works. Like I sit in the car and drive away, without adjusting the play of the valves and pouring water into the battery....these days are past.
    It might be unfair from Microsoft, but every minute I loose with the OS, I loose working time or free time. When it runs it runs beautiful and maybe would still run on two computer if I would have turned off the automatic updates. I also recalled than one update killed the Teamviewer.
    I tried Ubuntu, XUbuntu, Lubuntu (Spelling??) before Mandriva. On the server runs Centos (spelling??) which works beautiful and without problems.
    Maybe I just used the wrong distros.

I am sure if the focus would be on making 5 working distros instead of 500 half working, Microsoft would have a problem.
    So Linux any time on the server, but not on the desktop/laptop...That all the important software for the office isn't available makes it worse.

Thanks

It works fine for me, out of the box, although occasionally some tweaking can be a bit hands-on as I've said.

And it's free.

Did I mention it's free? I happily paid for Windows for a long time, but I wasn't going to buy a whole new computer because of them. Linux works. Apple isn't an option for me, from the user standpoint I hate their proprietary systems in general. YMMV, and it's all good

Thanks

Well the windows that often comes with the computer isn't expensive and the office will be replaced with Libre Office which works good enough.
    Yes Apple isn't an option for me as well, as I really dislike their policies.

Unfortunately our accounting software and all the machine/design software needs Windows....The machine/design software actually WinXP or older. So in future that will be virtual machines. But I think the USB to serial port adapter have only windows driver....but if I can find Linux driver for them I could try to run the virtual machine in Linux and just turn off all updates.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Apple isn't an option for me, from the user standpoint I hate their proprietary systems in general. YMMV, and it's all good
    Micro$oft seem to be moving in the direction of a propriety system to some extent as well-note the intrusion of Windows 10! It has declared Windows 10 is the last Windows ever-so how is it going to make money in the future?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    Micro$oft seem to be moving in the direction of a propriety system to some extent as well-note the intrusion of Windows 10! It has declared Windows 10 is the last Windows ever-so how is it going to make money in the future?
    yes I thought exactly the same.....They declared it is the last and all future will be just updates on the fly....So the win11 will be just a forced update that shoots half the computer
    yeah they'll make money selling your personal data.....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Don't forget the adverts-I understand so far that they are not too intrusive, but there is no guarantee they will stay that way. My crystal ball tells me that Micro$oft will eventually offer a no advert package-for a price, of course.

Thread Information