Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Thai crepe recipe

Hello everyone

I have been in Thailand a few months ago for the first time and loved this country. Hope i will be there again

I want to open a crepe store in my country as like Thai crepe stores.. I spend a long time for find right Thai crepe recipt but everyone is different than the video..
    https://youtu.be/1AegAY59s9A

I need %100 same crepe formula like in video..Thin, crispy and delicious

Anyone can helpe me?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,956 Posts

Re: Thai crepe recipe

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of recipes in this thread, and if you can take the time to look thru them you may find just the one you are looking for.

The video you shared is good in that it shows how to cook the crepe. Now you need is a good recipe. I don't have one, but I think you can experiment and make your own. The key, I think, would be to use rice flour for the batter, and keep the griddle at a consistent heat. The type griddle you use is important too. It looks as if she is using a thick one which appears to be made of stainless steel, or maybe even iron. It is thick, so she has probably started heating it early in the morning while she was preparing her batter and other ingredients.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (19-03-16)

Thanks

Thanks Susana. I searched the forum before i open new topic. Did not see anything about ``crepe`` I think also it has rice flour.And i tried many variation with rice flour. But non of them as like it.. And i think also the cooking style is important. for ex: after they pour the batter they are increase the heat volume.. but at the start time everyone taking the heat less..Their crepe machines has not non-stick surface but they are taking the crepe easyly so it is not stick to the surface..

I hope i can find somebody who knows to make it and can share the important points with us

Thanks

I believe the heat is consistent. I say this from experience cooking tortillas, pancakes and corn cakes, for example. You use a small amount of oil when the pan heats to desired temperature, and if the heat is just right, you can cook and flip without having to fiddle with the temperature or add more oil each time. She is a busy lady, after all, and needs her griddle ready at all times.

I have just found this recipe. He also uses the term "fiddle", so it must be good! All kidding aside, whether or not you use this recipe, the method is good.

http://norecipes.com/5-tips-for-maki...uttered-apples

Now, where to find that stick thingy she uses to spread the batter? Do you know, Atadincselim?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    I believe the heat is consistent. I say this from experience cooking tortillas, pancakes and corn cakes, for example. You use a small amount of oil when the pan heats to desired temperature, and if the heat is just right, you can cook and flip without having to fiddle with the temperature or add more oil each time. She is a busy lady, after all, and needs her griddle ready at all times.

I have just found this recipe. He also uses the term "fiddle", so it must be good! All kidding aside, whether or not you use this recipe, the method is good.

http://norecipes.com/5-tips-for-maki...uttered-apples

Now, where to find that stick thingy she uses to spread the batter? Do you know, Atadincselim?
    That recipe is very good but it shows classical breakfast crepes.. I think some different ingredients we should find..
    And about spread please search it "crepe spreader"... You will see many kind of them..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atadincselim For This Useful Post:

Susana (21-03-16)

Thanks

Thanks for that information about the "crepe spreader". I'll have to look for one. I didn't even know I needed one until this thread!

Thanks

Hello atadincselim,
    The term "crepe" that was used in youtube video confused me, coupled with the topping of ham and cheese further got me off track. Now I understand what you are after. It is the traditional Thai "kanom bueng" (ͧ) which has a thin crisp texture and not at all soft thin pancake like French crepe , but more like Norwegian krumkake. I googled "Thai crispy crepe recipe" and came up with a couple of them that look to me like the traditional recipe. Please take a look at this one:
    [LINK]http://importfood.com/recipes/khanombuang.html[/LINK]
    The recipe for the batter requires lime water which is essential to make the crispy "crepe". As for the topping, the traditional toppings are sweet topping made with Thai sweet called "foi tong" and shredded coconut on a thin bed of meringue like cream and savory topping which unfortunately I can't remember what it is made of. But as you know you can modify the topping as you like.

I hope this will get you off to a good start.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nu For This Useful Post:

Marie (21-03-16), Susana (21-03-16)

Thanks

Thank you, Nu, for coming to the rescue! I remember the crepes with coconut and something which looked like shredded carrot. I really liked them.

Is the lime water what makes them crispy?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Thanks for that information about the "crepe spreader". I'll have to look for one. I didn't even know I needed one until this thread!
    nice to see thread is helpful. The spreader sizes is important and not usefull if you are using a classic pan.. Just for the big surface crepe maker as like in the movie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nu View Post
    Hello atadincselim,
    The term "crepe" that was used in youtube video confused me, coupled with the topping of ham and cheese further got me off track. Now I understand what you are after. It is the traditional Thai "kanom bueng" (ͧ) which has a thin crisp texture and not at all soft thin pancake like French crepe , but more like Norwegian krumkake. I googled "Thai crispy crepe recipe" and came up with a couple of them that look to me like the traditional recipe. Please take a look at this one:
    [LINK]http://importfood.com/recipes/khanombuang.html[/LINK]
    The recipe for the batter requires lime water which is essential to make the crispy "crepe". As for the topping, the traditional toppings are sweet topping made with Thai sweet called "foi tong" and shredded coconut on a thin bed of meringue like cream and savory topping which unfortunately I can't remember what it is made of. But as you know you can modify the topping as you like.

I hope this will get you off to a good start.
    Thank you Nu. But kanom bueng is not same. First of all kanom is a desert with more sugar.. And i think right translating of kanom bueng to english is tacos.. They are really crunchy and looks like crepes but taste is different. The one of i am searching crepe avaliable the desert tastes and also with cheese, egg, ham etc... many different tastes..

Thank you very much

Thread Information