Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Thai crepe recipe

May be the crispy is not the right word for my search. It is better to say "hard crepe"

Thanks

Hi Susana,
    Yes, the lime water is indeed what makes them crispy. We use them in many kind of desserts and also in fried food, to make them crispy longer after frying. For example in curry puffs, the shell can be made with or without lime water but if you add lime water then they stay crisp longer. In gluay cheum (กล้วยเชื่อม) if you use lime water, the bananas hold their shape together better and don't become mushy.

Your recollection of something like carrots on top is "foi tong" or "golden thread"; a very sweet dessert made with egg yolks passing through a sieve onto boiling syrup then fished out and piled into a mound of golden thread. One of my favorite desserts.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (21-03-16), Susana (21-03-16)

Thanks

I am sorry atadincselim that I couldn't help you. Keep searching and hopefully you can find what you are looking for.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (21-03-16), Marie (21-03-16), Susana (21-03-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,553 Times in 1,835 Posts

To start with, I don't have a clue on how to cook this mysterious "crepe" being discussed now. I just wanted to say that dessert crepes are being sold so cheaply in Thailand, and you can find them everywhere, even in ordinary talat (market) and roadside eateries in rural areas. To me they go well with unsweetened coffee (I normally put sugar in my coffee). I am not a crepe connoisseur and can't tell the difference in their texture - like a musical tone deaf- but I enjoy most the type with mango and banana flavor. So yummy. However, I appreciate atadincselim''s fondness for a certain kind of crispiness in crepes. To each his own.

Nu, I know your masterpiece is curry puff. Maybe someday you can share your recipe for it? :--)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Nu (21-03-16), Susana (21-03-16)

Thanks

I am so very curious about this crispy crepe so I went back to look at atadincselim's youtube video again and noticed the sign above the stand that said เครปญี่ปุ่น (Japanese crepe). Now we are on the right track. So it is not kanom bueng Thai that I had thought. Alas, when I googled the recipe for เครปญี่ปุ่น I found that many people are looking for this elusive recipe. There are offers to sell recipe and the secret on how to make them stay crisp as people who have tried failed to achieve the crispness and there are also places that offer cooking lesson specifically for this crepe. And there you have it.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nu For This Useful Post:

atadincselim (22-03-16), Khun Don (21-03-16), Marie (21-03-16), mikeheart (21-03-16), Susana (21-03-16)

Thanks

Great to see you posting Nu. Miss you

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeheart For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (21-03-16), Nu (21-03-16), Susana (21-03-16)

Thanks

Hi

Next time in Thailand find where they buy the equipment to make. Buy and ship back to your home.
    and befriend your local crepe maker for tips and recipe before you leave Thailand

13. The Following User Says Thank You to khonrai For This Useful Post:

atadincselim (22-03-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,938 Posts

Nu, I remember foi tong as my first love among sweets in Thailand. When I learned it was made with raw egg yolks I immediately lost the taste for it. I never knew Khanom bueng had it also. After the demise of foi tong as a favorite I went on to many other favorites, which I still remember except for the name.

Marie, Like you, if I eat something sweet I like my coffee black. It's a good balance between sweet and slightly bitter.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

atadincselim (22-03-16), Marie (22-03-16), Nu (22-03-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nu View Post
    I am so very curious about this crispy crepe so I went back to look at atadincselim's youtube video again and noticed the sign above the stand that said เครปญี่ปุ่น (Japanese crepe). Now we are on the right track. So it is not kanom bueng Thai that I had thought. Alas, when I googled the recipe for เครปญี่ปุ่น I found that many people are looking for this elusive recipe. There are offers to sell recipe and the secret on how to make them stay crisp as people who have tried failed to achieve the crispness and there are also places that offer cooking lesson specifically for this crepe. And there you have it.
    I think the japanese crepes are also different but no problem, if someone selling the recipe of the crispy crepe i am interesting with it , Japanese or another one.. :can you give me the link the seller?

now i googled เครปญี่ปุ่น word and woowwww you really catch it the biggest problem is the language difference and Thai letters are so different for me.

i find a site `lekcooking center` but i didnt see their mail adress. i will try to call them tomorrow.. And did you see another one who selling the recipes

Thank you very very much
    Last edited by atadincselim; 22-03-16 at 04:18 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,938 Posts

atadincselim,

I think if you try the crispy crepes you will never want any other!

I have tried making them before, but just couldn't get it right. Now that I know about the lime water, I might try again. I have a pizelle maker, so I might even try using lime water in pizelles, which of course are definitely not Thai!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (22-03-16)

Thread Information