PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Hot 1000 most common thai words used - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: 1000 most common thai words used

BTW...

" (jep)
    undefinedԭ (jay-rin)
    # prosper ; grow ; develop ; flourish ; wax ; thrive ; progress
    # recite a prayer ; chant ; pray"

is obvious a mistake in the translation.

for some reason that dic. didn't find and suggested ԭ (is what I guess went wrong)

Thanks

Thanks David...not sure why I didn't find those in thai2english...I also used sealang and my se-ed paper dictionary. That solves most of the mystery, though.

I'll be doing it in chunks. I just started with the gor gais - 64/80.
    Good job, jaibaan! I think you're right...a score is somewhat one dimensional. And the "passive" (as you explained) language adds in more. There were also so many words that I couldn't think of...and then when I looked it up, Of course!! I knew the word. I think that shows the role that context plays.

Still, the word list was quite helpful and gives me my jumping off point to cram in more vocab.

Thanks

ا
    ٴ
    Ѵغѹ
    ໹ (a misspelling for ??)
    I forgot to mention that my Thai teacher had definitions for ا (a kind of bird) and ٴ (a skin disease)

I forgot to ask her about Ѵغѹ and ໹

Thanks

I think , йǹ , й , ໹ and the like are indeed misspellings and that's why you won't find them in the dictionaries *. They could be included as "Common misspellings" but to list them as "Alternative spellings", suggesting that you could use either that spelling or the proper one, seems misleading to me. It's only these wrong spellings included in the list - there's no correct spellings of , , etc... - which there surely would be if the spelling was intentional. Also, any word you can't find in multiple dictionaries definitely can't be called one of the 1000 most common!

I think if you discount the wrong spellings it makes your score all the more impressive Pailin

* OK, royin actually says is a Khmer word meaning ҹ , but that's just a coincidence - you're never going to hear anyone use it that way.

for some reason that dic. didn't find and suggested ԭ (is what I guess went wrong)
    Lexitron, which the t2e meanings came from originally, didn't include (and some other common words like ) for ages for some reason. Nowadays, t2e is only about 20% lexitron data and was added in years ago Just checking Lexitron now, it seems they've added it in too.
    Last edited by Mike; 05-04-10 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks

That list is so daunting!! I think at my level of ability (or lack of) its more useful to prepare my own list to learn by heart, using the words I am most likely to use in normal converstation. But you guys are streets ahead.
    Ӽ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    That list is so daunting!! I think at my level of ability (or lack of) its more useful to prepare my own list to learn by heart, using the words I am most likely to use in normal converstation. But you guys are streets ahead.
    You can also take it in doses... Choose one letter and work on those, then move to another letter. (the for example only have two words listed)
    The only reason I was able to go through it all is that I had an extra day off last week and just sat down and did it.

Furthermore....I haven't yet learned those extra 250 or so words. I've only looked them up and written down the definition. It will be many months and flashcards later that I might have remembered some of them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    That list is so daunting!!
    I saw that list before and felt exactly the same, so I never tried it.

But after Pailin and jaibaan brought it up again I decided to give it a try as well and to my own surprise scored 61% !!

Now I'll just have to find a way to get the other 39% into my head

Thanks

Good job!!

Thanks

Hello David,

I haven't gone through the whole list. I have only read the preceding post.

- I'm afriad that the following are misspellings (and could not be considered as alternative spellings): дҹ йǹ and й. We don't have these words in the Thai language. The correct spellings are as follows:

дҹ = board

ǹ = slate for writing ( (My grand dad used it in school but I have never seen it since I was born!), fuse , the cause of something that leads to (disaster or something bad)

= win, defeat

- The following are ancient Thai words that were used in the range of King Ramkhamhang the Great (some 500-7000 years ago). We don't use these words in writing and speaking these days (and they are considered misspellings if they are used by someone).

¹ = distort, alter, misrepresent

໹ = equivalent to v. to be in English (is, am, are)

= house

- My assumption concerning the spellings of ¹ ໹ and is that they are typos. We have some words in Thai (whose spellings are quite similar to those 3 ancient words) that are used by Thais in this present time. They are:

¹ = distort, alter, misrepresent

= make effort in doing something

= v. to be (Some teens may use ໹ as an Internet language because they are too lazy to type . However, it's not aceptable by people at large).

= land, smart or intelligent (Although is used in modern Thai, it rarely appears as a single word. Usually, it is used to form a compound noun with another word such as ʵ (geography) Ҥ (regional) Ҥ (pride)

There are a lot of online Thai-Thai, Thai-English and English-Thai dictionaries. Unfortunately, they have not been carefully edited, particularly for their spellings. The best way is to check Thai words with the Royal Institute dictionaries published by the Royal Institute of Thailand.

I hope this would be useful in a way.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to literacy For This Useful Post:

bassai (18-03-14)

Thanks

hihi, i don't know this word ""? when it is pronounced "poo mee" and "poom"
    if it's ʵ : poo-mí-sàat
    but if it's poom jai, Ҥ pâak poom, it's has only 2 sound
    thanks so much

Thread Information