PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Hot 1000 most common thai words used - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: 1000 most common thai words used

As I said in an earlier post; the list "isn't bad", not by a long stretch.

It's just NOT spoken word Thai; there's a lot of written word Thai in there and those words just aren't spoken (all that much).

A good point was made that foreigners learning Thai in some schools use very dated or overly formal language when learning to speak. This can lead to your local som-tam seller thinking you are "taking the piss" when you talk to her, because your speaking at a MUCH higher level or register of Thai than is commonly used Soi-side.

It is my personal experience that being overly formal when speaking is as bad as being too informal; something I do routinely with government officials, much to their vexation...

Now for reading Thai; the list's value goes up exponentially, because Thai ain't written anything like it's spoken..

Still I applaud everyone's effort on sharing these words.. The Thai language is a tough row to hoe, and anything which helps "us" learn it is a big plus..

Thanx to all who put in the effort...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

bassai (18-03-14), Marie (11-12-13)

Thanks

Its difficult to achieve the right balance between formal and informal in any language. For instance in his tutorial English videos Adam Bradshaw tries to convince Thais to say "wanna" instead of want to and "gunna" instead of going to and "freaken" etc, all of which are very crude to my antipodean ear. Also, his explanations of colloquial English sayings are wrong in many cases. People like Adam who have a big following in Thailand have a responsibility to get it right, but unfortunately he often gets it wrong. I do enjoy his videos though, as he is very fluent in Thai and his programme is improving my comprehension.
    น้ำผึ้ง

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nam phyyng For This Useful Post:

Marie (11-12-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

As a native speaker I would forgive any foreigner who might talk too formal or informal to me in my native language. I'd attribute that to ignorance. If I had the time and inclination and if the learner seemed receptive, I'd politely 'educate' them. But yes, those in the know should be responsible enough to make it a point to teach only the right thing. And in the same vein, I also consider it a moral responsibility for one to refrain from teaching stuff one doesn't really know. :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Susana (13-02-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    Its difficult to achieve the right balance between formal and informal in any language. For instance in his tutorial English videos Adam Bradshaw tries to convince Thais to say "wanna" instead of want to and "gunna" instead of going to and "freaken" etc, all of which are very crude to my antipodean ear. Also, his explanations of colloquial English sayings are wrong in many cases. People like Adam who have a big following in Thailand have a responsibility to get it right, but unfortunately he often gets it wrong. I do enjoy his videos though, as he is very fluent in Thai and his programme is improving my comprehension.
    You are correct "nam phyyng", incorrect use of overly colloquial English like; gonna, shoulda, woulda, coulda, hafta, wanna, are almost as bad as using overly formal Thai to the wrong person.

I've found it's a balancing act to know which register to address someone when speaking in Thai. That's probably why I get it wrong so much, I'm not a good balancer!

I'm forever calling guyz แก and gurlz เธอ; no matter how old they are, how well I know them or how fancy their uniform is. This has caused some consternation amongst the Thais I address in such a familiar way (mostly just raised eyebrows really..). Still I think as foreigners, we get far more lattitude in speaking Thai with wrong register than Thais get..

Personally, I like the fact that I don't have to kow-tow to some Thai here just because they're older, better dressed, have a better education, or appear richer than I am. I mean other than using common courtesy, that stuff just isn't done in the US. Before you say it, believe me I know I ain't in the US anymore, still I'm 100% born-bred & corn fed American and that ain't gonna change just because I choose to live here surrounded by Thais.

As I've said over and over, almost every Thai school I've toured teaches foreigners to speak Thai in a very "un-Thai" way. This makes us sound artificial, forced, and sometimes just down right funny.. It's sad but true..

I won't comment on the videos you mentioned, as that person is very thin-skinned and takes any critiquing very personally. According to the Thais I've talked to; he's definitely gonna be the next "Andrew Biggs" here, but time will tell.

Thanks

This topic stagnated for a while, and after googling around for the top 1000, 3000, 5000 words in thai and seeing what lists come up from who, I can say most are worthless as far as a non-native student of thai learning them to further their thai vocabulary.

Because written thai is so dissimilar from spoken thai (in both construct and in usage of words) most of the thai corpus available to data mine for "top wordz" are clunky come from legalese, religious, academic dissertations, etc. These things bear little of any resemblance to spoken thai.

This gives these lists a skewed frequency rating to words which just plain aren't important in todays spoken thai.

One last thing, I have never seen people do more tryin' to drag thaiz kicking and screaming into the english speaking world at large than the likes of Andrew Biggs, Christopher Wright and Adam Bradshaw.

Now taking into consideration that Adam's target market is the thai วัยรุ่น's of today his choice of vocabulary and his teaching style is totally correct for his target demographic.

Thanks

Language evolves over time and slang words will appear occasionally. One example I can think of is จุงเบย for จังเลย.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yeows For This Useful Post:

Susana (13-02-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

I was thinking along similar lines, yeows. After one has learned a language and been using it for a while it is only natural that they will gradually slip into local pronunciation and colloquial expressions.

Natural is the key.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

yeows (13-02-15)

Thanks

Funny you mention the spelling change of จังเลย..

Thai ad campaigns routinely use and say จุงเบย ..

These two images show the "evolution" of thai by the youth of today..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slang.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	20920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slang1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	20921

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

yeows (14-02-15)

Thanks

Now here's someone who spent a LOT of time going thru the Chula's Top Thai Word list and making it into a much more "useful" list.

His name is Jorgen Nilsen..

He did a great job weeding out spurious high listings which came about only because of the corpus Chula used to come up with their list.

This tells about what he did;
    http://www.thaifrequency.com/background/

This is the Top 4000 words;
    http://www.thaifrequency.com/top-4000/

BTW: I am NOT affiliated with Jorgen, but my hat's off to him for putting in all the effort he did..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

yeows (03-03-15)

Thanks

Thread Information