PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Asians & Jewellery
    Thanks

Asians & Jewellery

I've reading a lot from ''thaivisa.com'' & thailandblog.nl (a Dutch site) about Thais ( especially females) wearing/possessing a lot of jewels.
    According to many Westerners ( in a relation with a Thai ) its to show how wealthy one is. Maybe its true because one has to be wealthy to buy diamonds.
    However as a Asian growing in a farming community, possession of jewels was seen as an insurance.
    As a son of a rice farmer, I learned from my Grandma & my Mom that when one has extra cash , buy a piece of jewel. Why? If the rice crop failed because of drought or too much rains, they can take the jewel to the pawn shop and borrow money to feed their families and when they have enough money ,they can go and reclaim their stuff ( paying the pawn shop fee).
    Living in a Western country since 1981 and integrated, I'm over insured
    From health, travel, life, home , car, liability, funeral/cremation and maybe more insurances , I think my grandparents/parents did a very good job, i.e they didn't need insurance.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rijmond For This Useful Post:

Marie (05-05-16), Susana (06-05-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Re: Asians & Jewellery

Interesting reasons for buying and wearing jewelry. But some people (like me), put on jewels with no investments or insurance in mind. Rather, jewelry pieces are acquired and worm by them simply to complement good grooming and fashion sense.
    Last edited by Marie; 06-05-16 at 08:56 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

rijmond (07-05-16)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rijmond View Post
    According to many Westerners ( in a relation with a Thai ) its to show how wealthy one is. Maybe its true because one has to be wealthy to buy diamonds.
    On a similar note, i have a good friend from Indonesia. He sells stainless steel jewellery. Rings, bracelets, necklaces etc. Apparently silver is the "thing to have" in Thailand now, amongst the younger generation. Most can't afford silver, so they buy stainless steel instead. If anyone asks, they tell them it's silver.

In your parents case, the jewellery was insurance. I think nowadays, many people (regardless of where they're from in the world) prefer to buy things like jewels, precious metals and antiques, as these things often only go up in value. Property and land is another good investment. Where as interest from banks is either risky or not worth the wait for the little return you get.

Jewellery can be a status symbol. It's like saying "look how much money i have, i can afford expensive accessories". Then there are those who simply wear it for decoration and nothing more. Similar to how some people own a dog (is that becoming more popular in Thailand now??). Some people are saying "look at me, i can afford to keep and feed an animal as a pet. I have money to spare". While others genuinely have a love for animals and it's not about status or image. Cars... Is he a car enthusiast? or is that Porsche just a status symbol?
    Last edited by Arwing; 05-05-16 at 11:45 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwing For This Useful Post:

Marie (06-05-16), rijmond (07-05-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

In my husband's family, there was some very nice jewelry hidden in shoes and other odd places. It was worn on special occasions only. There were less expensive, but still very nice, jewelry worn every day. On those special occasions already mentioned, someone had to stay home and mind the houses in the compound. Maids weren't trusted, and someone from outside might try to break in.

My father in law gave me a very nice ring with diamonds and told me "you can sell this if you ever need money". I preferred the Hill Tribe jewelry I purchased at sales and odd pieces I picked up here and there. My sister-in-laws thought it was funny and the man at the silver shop called me a hippie. Years later they were all wearing silver, and I was financing my family's yearly visits by buying silver in Thailand and reselling it here. Those were good times.

In my opinion, it is not wise to purchase jewelry thinking it can be sold at a pawn shop on a rainy day situation. If your child is sick or someone in the family has a toothache you don't sell as wisely as you would otherwise, and your investment is lost. Financially, nothing is gained unless you buy low and sell at a profit, or at least trade up for a better piece of jewelry. But if your child is sick you will do whatever is needed.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

JingJoh (06-05-16), Khun Don (06-05-16), Marie (06-05-16), rijmond (07-05-16)

Thanks

I can't speak for Thailand but in my country, if you bought a piece of jewellery new and took it straight to a pawn shop you would be lucky to receive 50% of what you just spent in cash. Gold bullion might be a reasonable way to secret away some wealth but IMO jewellery is not.

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post

In my opinion, it is not wise to purchase jewelry thinking it can be sold at a pawn shop on a rainy day situation. If your child is sick or someone in the family has a toothache you don't sell as wisely as you would otherwise, and your investment is lost. Financially, nothing is gained unless you buy low and sell at a profit, or at least trade up for a better piece of jewelry. But if your child is sick you will do whatever is needed.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JingJoh For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (06-05-16), Marie (06-05-16), rijmond (07-05-16), Susana (06-05-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    In my husband's family, there was some very nice jewelry hidden in shoes and other odd places. It was worn on special occasions only. There were less expensive, but still very nice, jewelry worn every day. On those special occasions already mentioned, someone had to stay home and mind the houses in the compound. Maids weren't trusted, and someone from outside might try to break in.
    Same case where I live. If you own expensive jewelry, it's not safe to stash it at home. So you store it in a safety deposit box in the bank for safekeeping.Then you need to go to the bank every time you wear it-and put it back immediately after the occasion. It's so inconvenient. You end up wearing it sparingly.
    Last edited by Marie; 06-05-16 at 11:39 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (06-05-16), rijmond (07-05-16), Susana (07-05-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JingJoh View Post
    Gold bullion might be a reasonable way to secret away some wealth but IMO jewellery is not.
    Gold jewellery has its advantages. It is highly portable wealth, wearing it openly -or otherwise- is generally a good prevention against burglary-as it is always with you. Gold jewellery comes in small pieces-bullion comes in a slab-that old motto about putting all your eggs into one basket applies. Customs etc are less likely to ask questions about gold jewellery worn by women than they are bullion slabs found in a suitcase-and not check so closely that what comes in to the country is also taken out after departure-unlike bullion.
    Consequently it is a popular form of wealth in places like the Indian sub continent and communities around the world-and in between such.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

emu (07-05-16), Marie (07-05-16), rijmond (07-05-16), Susana (07-05-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 697 Posts

The gold most people wear as jewelry in Australia is 9 carat, or 37.5 %. I f you look inside, you will see the 375 stamp. It is alloyed with other metals to change colour and properties. White gold is one example.
    22 carat gold is considered too soft for everyday wear, and you wont see it much at all.
    Thai gold is 23 carat, or 95% I think offhand, and is worn all the time, and easily and cheaply exchange. So, sentimental value plays less a part. The weight, or monetry value is much more important.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

rijmond (07-05-16), Susana (07-05-16)

Thanks

Noway keeping money in the banks is more safety and secure is better way as people are trying to move to different places in each every year, as keeping a gold in the house is not to ensure the security from the buglers, thief and robbers. Many people are farmers in my country Cambodia they prefer to buy gold as jewelry as well, but they prefer not to deposit their money in the banks, their properties come with the rice paddy, lots of land, house and animal. The people that don't have the land considered as poorest in the community.But people in the city 50-60% are living without their own property but they have vehicles such as motor cycles,cars etc, they're renting the house or apartment instead of buying their own, their living are so tight due to paying the loan and rent base on their income is very low than any other country like Thailand, Malaysia or Singapore.Now day the middle class and rich people are trying to adapt their life like the westerner keeping their money in the banks and mostly the govt official deposited huge of money at abroad bank due to the big corruption release by Phnom Penh Post many months ago. It's safety for they to move their family outside the country in the incident there are something going to happen in Cambodia. According to my experiences in my family we used to invest our money on the property it could be earning much more benefit or interest in a few years ahead rather than saving in the bank which is low interest. it's mean we reduce to save the jewelry because it's risk with the thief and robbers. The price of land is higher as Gold, several years ago we bought the property cost 80000 U.S.D it's rise up to 200000-300000U.S.D in the next couple years ahead.
    Last edited by Mahindrasarath; 07-05-16 at 11:14 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mahindrasarath For This Useful Post:

rijmond (07-05-16), Susana (07-05-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    The gold most people wear as jewelry in Australia is 9 carat, or 37.5 %. I f you look inside, you will see the 375 stamp. It is alloyed with other metals to change colour and properties. White gold is one example.
    22 carat gold is considered too soft for everyday wear, and you wont see it much at all.
    Thai gold is 23 carat, or 95% I think offhand, and is worn all the time, and easily and cheaply exchange. So, sentimental value plays less a part. The weight, or monetry value is much more important.
    Same in UK-apart from the Asian Communities-most of whose women are seen to be wearing small pieces-rings, chains -every day. Not much is bought by non-Asians as there can be problems when coming to sell.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

rijmond (07-05-16)

Thread Information