PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Mobile SIM card for foreigners
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mobile SIM card for foreigners

Hi,

I've had the same number for years in Thailand now. There was a point about 6 months? ago when it stopped working. I asked a lady in a mobile phone shop and apparently it was due to some new rule. I had to come back to her with my passport and she did something, entered a code from an SMS and all has been good until now.

As i have been in China and Japan for the past 3 months my network coverage has stopped. Prior to this i had SMS saying my number would be terminated unless i topped up within a certain amount of time. I didn't and the SIM seems to have deactivated - no coverage.

Anyone know the process now for foreigners to get a SIM and Thai number. I don't have a smart phone, just an old Samsung that calls and SMS. Last i heard 7-11 wern't giving out 12..call SIMS anymore. Does the airport hand them out? Do we need to register? I kind of need a number when i'm in Thailand

Thanks

Re: Mobile SIM card for foreigners

Hi. If you go to your preferred mobile operators shop they will sell you a new sim. You will need to give identification. This came about following last years bomb and all sims must now be registered.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeheart For This Useful Post:

Marie (29-05-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Depending on how "old" your phone is, you may not be able to get a new sim for it. Thai carriers are abandoning 2G.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

mikeheart (29-05-16)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have a Samsung E1080i. Not sure what it is. GSM displays when i turn it on. Never seen 2G. I'm really not up on mobiles and have never owned a smart phone. Thanks for the info. As advised, i'll pop in to a mobile shop with my phone and passport and take it from there.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

I found that your phone is 2G.

Right now, because the carriers are dropping 2G, there are some good deals offered. AIS offers 2 phones for free. I really like their simple tiny Samsung phone. They also offer a smartphone for free. I believe it requires 100 baht initial charge, plus a year of refills on the sim. You can add 12 months of refills, at the many AIS automated service machines around town, for as little as 10 baht per month
    Last edited by Curt; 29-05-16 at 06:21 PM.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sounds good, but my last 3 months in Thailand begin in a few days when i leave Japan. After that, i'm leaving Asia. Doing a hop and a skip to Oz and NZ, before heading to South and Central America. During the last 2 years, i've as good as lived in Thailand, returning there inbetween travelling to other SE Asian countries. Shame i didn't know about this offer earlier. Too late for me now. But this info will surely come in useful for others.

Thread Information