PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Smallest Denomination Thai Currency
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Smallest Denomination Thai Currency

Following on from the 70 Baht banknote story and the other unusual denomination banknotes I posted there it got me thinking what is the smallest denomination Thai currency you have seen?

With the current value of the Baht you don't get to see many satang coins these days and possibly therefore the 25 Satang (aka Saleung) is probably the lowest denomination many have seen. So I thought I would share a coin from my collection.

This coin is a 1/2 Att, also know as a 1 Solot. It was issued in 1882 in the reign of Rama V and you would need 128 of these coins to make up 1 Baht! The year on the coin, 1244, is in the Chula-Sakarat calendar not the currently used Buddhist calendar.

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Att.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	22089  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

emu (03-06-16), mikeheart (02-06-16), Susana (03-06-16)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Smallest Denomination Thai Currency

Whenever i travel to a new country, i always keep a coin (or note) as a keep-sake. Usually of the smallest denomination, but sometimes of another coin if it's interesting or if the smallest in question is cheap and made from tin. I have the .0 (1/2 baht) and . (1/4 baht) in my collection (pictured below). Is your 1/2 Att (1 Solot) still legal tender? i.e could you buy something from the 1B shop with 128 of them? Also, is it worth much to collectors?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baht_coins.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	22093

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arwing View Post
    Whenever i travel to a new country, i always keep a coin (or note) as a keep-sake. Usually of the smallest denomination, but sometimes of another coin if it's interesting or if the smallest in question is cheap and made from tin. I have the .0 (1/2 baht) and . (1/4 baht) in my collection (pictured below). Is your 1/2 Att (1 Solot) still legal tender? i.e could you buy something from the 1B shop with 128 of them? Also, is it worth much to collectors?
    I don't know if it is still legal tender, but to a collector a 1/2 Att coin would be worth between US$20 and US$30 depending on condition.

I am more a banknote collector, I used to have a large collection of eastern European notes which I disposed of about 17 years ago. In the last couple of years I began collecting again and my interests are now Thailand, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and French Indochina.

Did you know that on early Thai banknotes the Baht was called Tical in the English wording?

David

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

Arwing (07-06-16), emu (07-06-16)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The Tical. No, i didn't know that was the old name of the baht. I prefer coins as a keep-sake, as notes are less durable, especially for someone like me who's on the move all the time. The only notes i have are a 100 Riel, 1000 Dong and 500 Kip. Reason being they don't use coins in Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos (at least to my knowledge) - Though apparently there are a few coins knocking about Vietnam but they're old and i never came across them.
    Last edited by Arwing; 07-06-16 at 10:04 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arwing For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (07-06-16)

Thanks

I believe the Government tried to reintroduce coins to Cambodia about ten years ago but the general public didn't like to use them.

So your Vietnam banknote is not a polymer one which is more durable? I believe the lowest value polymer banknote is the 10000 Dong.

It is 14 years since I was in Vietnam, I seem to recall that then there were still some coins in common use. I also seem to recall that the 500 Dong was a common banknote despite being only the equivalent of 3p in British terms. But my recollections may be wrong after all the years...

David

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

King’s commemorative coins available as of June 9
    in General | June 7, 2016 6:25 pm

Commemorative coins to celebrate His Majesty the King’s 70th anniversary of accession to the throne will be available for sale to the public in Bangkok on June 9 and, later on, to the public in the rest of the country as of August 1.

The commemorative coins are in three denominations: 16,000 baht gold coins for sale at 30,000 baht each; 800-baht silver coins for sale at 1,600 baht each and 50-baht copper-nickel coins at 50 baht each.

For Bangkok, the coins will be on sale at the Treasury Department in Soi Aree as of June 9. For the rest of the country, the coins will be on sale as of August 1 at the provincial treasury offices. Purchases can also be made online at www.treasury.go.th.

MORE + PHOTOS OF COINS: THAI PBS

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Arwing (08-06-16), David_Loves_Ubonwan (08-06-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    I also seem to recall that the 500 Dong was a common banknote despite being only the equivalent of 3p in British terms.
    Having had a chance to check The Banknote Book chapter on Vietnam I see that the 500 Dong, which seemed such a common banknote during my visit, was withdrawn from circulation less than three months after I left.

David

Thread Information