PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Back on Track

Thread: Back on Track

Thanks

Back on Track

I have been away from the forums for awhile, dealing with a serious medical issue. We were finally able to visit our home, near Kalasin, this past February. We got to see and hold our three newest grandchildren, ages 2 - 3 1/2. Got our marriage registered at the Amphur office in Sahatsakhan and also got my yellow house book. We both opened accounts at Bangkok bank, to set up easy deposits and transfers in the U.S. It was the first time my wife traveled on her blue passport.

Our plan, God willing, is to make the final move after I retire (projected date is 12/31/2018 (2561). We just bought a piece of land to build our new house on. We will officially give our current house to my stepson. The new site is three rai (just under 2 acres) and is within the village limits, whereas our current place is on the outskirts. It has rubber trees that we need to clear off, but it is on high ground and fairly level. I want to keep the build around 1 million baht, so we'll see how it goes. We want the design and layout to be similar to our current house, just bigger (just under 2000 sq.ft./185 sq. meter) and with better building materials and fixtures (e.g., doors, windows, roofing, A/C, etc.).

Shipping over household effects (my wife as repatriating Thai citizen), setting up automatic ACH transfers to the BKK Bank account from my U.S bank account, and getting the visa straightened out are our next to-do items. We plan to list our house in California and sell it within the next year to 18 months. Will likely pull enough equity out to build our new one in Thailand.

One thing we plan to do is launch a YouTube channel, wich will be a video log (vlog) of our experiences. I have edited and wrapped one, and have enough footage from our recent trip to put together a few more.

https://youtu.be/TYqEvlGRP7Q

Any advice or guidance, especially from U.S. expats because rules and procedures can vary by nation of origin, are most welcome. My biggest concern right now is getting reliable Internet access. I assume it will be satellite only in that remote area. Of course, I can always make a trip to the little coffee house in Sahatsakhan to upload.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

bgd57 (15-08-16), mikeheart (28-07-16), Susana (29-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Re: Back on Track

Thanks for the update. I hope the move goes well, 2 1/2 years is not long, you will soon be there.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

visionchaser45 (29-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

I enjoyed the YouTube video, and thought I had "thanked" you the day it was posted. Anyway, it's good to see you back at the forum.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

mikeheart (29-07-16), visionchaser45 (29-07-16)

Thanks

I plan to upload more videos soon. I have been busy editing footage. I need to spread them out a bit, so the channel doesn't go cold before we make the big move. We plan to chronicle the whole moving experience too, including all of the advance preparations. It's too bad we didn't get the idea before we registered our marriage at the amphur and got my yellow house book. I'll bet there are others who are curious about that process. We will still have the opportunity to document the visa process, packing and shipping household items, getting a mail forwarding service, etc., which we hope viewers will find interesting and informative.

I am still learning this whole videography thing. One thing I will work on immediately is reducing the amount of road footage. I also want to incorporate more camera angles and create and overlay separate audio tracks. Always a work in progress. 555
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (30-07-16), emu (30-07-16), homejames (29-07-16), Khun Don (29-07-16), mikeheart (30-07-16), Susana (30-07-16)

Thread Information