PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
The Best Laid Plans
    Thanks

The Best Laid Plans

I have been away from the forums for awhile, dealing with a serious medical issue. We were finally able to visit our home, near Kalasin, this past February. We got to see and hold our three newest grandchildren, ages 2 - 3 1/2. Got our marriage registered at the Amphur office in Sahatsakhan and also got my yellow house book. We both opened accounts at Bangkok bank, to set up easy deposits and transfers in the U.S. It was the first time my wife traveled on her blue passport.

Our plan, God willing, is to make the final move after I retire (projected date is 12/31/2018 (2561). We just bought a piece of land to build our new house on. We will officially give our current house to my stepson. The new site is three rai (just under 2 acres) and is within the village limits, whereas our current place is on the outskirts. It has rubber trees that we need to clear off, but it is on high ground and fairly level. I want to keep the build around 1 million baht, so we'll see how it goes. We want the design and layout to be similar to our current house, just bigger (just under 2000 sq.ft./185 sq. meter) and with better building materials and fixtures (e.g., doors, windows, roofing, A/C, etc.).

Shipping over household effects (my wife as repatriating Thai citizen), setting up automatic ACH transfers to the BKK Bank account from my U.S bank account, and getting the visa straightened out are our next to-do items. We plan to list our house in California and sell it within the next year to 18 months. Will likely pull enough equity out to build our new one in Thailand.

Wecreated a YouTube channel, which is basically a video log (vlog) of our experiences. I have edited and wrapped one, and have enough footage from our recent trip to put together a few more.

Any advice or guidance, especially from U.S. expats because rules and procedures can vary by nation of origin, are most welcome. My biggest concern right now is getting reliable Internet access. I assume it will be satellite only in that remote area. Of course, I can always make a trip to the little coffee house in Sahatsakhan to upload.
    Last edited by Khun Don; 24-07-16 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Direct video link
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

billyboy (24-07-16), emu (24-07-16), Khun Don (24-07-16), Marie (24-07-16), Susana (24-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Re: The Best Laid Plans

To start with, here are sincere wishes from all of us in this forum~

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_340x270.816097271_rhxo[1].jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	22214

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

billyboy (24-07-16), Khun Don (24-07-16), Susana (24-07-16), visionchaser45 (25-07-16)

Thanks

Hi

Good luck

As you know or will find out living here is much different than visiting.
    Make sure you have hobbies or things to do after all the stress of building a house and getting moved.
    the first full year you will be so busy, then things will mellow out. and that is when mental problems can happen. no one to talk to in English, tired of Internet and TV. If you embrace the culture and people and have plans and get out and do things. you will be much more happy.

about internet in 3 years who knows what the internet will be My internet is really fast and I can stream movies. but I am in town with wifi. from landlords landline.

On my smart phone I buy prepaid data plan only 300 baht a month so if traveling and not near Wifi can use my hotspot on my phone to get internet for my laptop. It is relatively fast can stream movies if have a strong signal. I use the phone for navigation when out riding my bike "to find my way back home" LOL

6. The Following User Says Thank You to khonrai For This Useful Post:

visionchaser45 (25-07-16)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, khonrai. Other than making videos and giving free English lessons to local villagers on Saturdays, I will have no other hobbies, other than fishing. My disease really put limits on my activity level, but I still get around pretty well.

Making and editing videos can be pretty time-consuming. I have two YouTube channels. One is the Isaan life and travel channel and the other is my Christian ministry. They currently consume the equivalent of about 16 hours per week. I expect that to go up when we are there and are able to capture daily footage for editing.

My wife has been living in America with me for twelve years, and speaks English like a champ, so I have that going for me too. Who knows, I might be such a good teacher that the whole village will be speaking English in short order. 555

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (04-08-16), emu (26-07-16), Khun Don (25-07-16), Susana (25-07-16)

Thanks

I just uploaded the second installment to our Isaan lifestyle and travel vlog. I have made some improvements, but, as with all such endeavors, we must continue to improve as we move forward.

Last edited by Khun Don; 08-08-16 at 02:03 AM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

emu (08-08-16), homejames (08-08-16), Khun Don (08-08-16), mikeheart (08-08-16), Susana (08-08-16)

Thanks

I just uploaded another video to the vlog.

Last edited by Khun Don; 22-08-16 at 03:19 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

bgd57 (28-08-16), Khun Don (22-08-16), Susana (22-08-16)

Thanks

It has been some time since I last posted, but wanted to provide an update. Because my disease has relapsed, our moving timeline has been shortened, Our new plan is to move to Thailand this coming October. My kids have already supervised the landfill and leveling at our building site and I have located an architect in Khon Kaen to complete a set of plans. We want to build as quickly as possible because, although we will be staying at our current house during the build, it is less comfortable than our new house is expected to be.

I have accelerated my study of Thai language, so I can communicate better with my kids and grand kids. I am putting together a little phrase book of things I am likely to say around the house because my wife won't always be standing by. It is mostly things like inquiries and requests. I look forward to immersion and the whole learning experience. it is even more of a challenge because the family speaks Isaan. I will be trying to stick to Thai because it is the language of government and there are more resources available. It should be very interesting.

We plan to chronicle the whole moving experience, from packing and shipping, setting up mail forwarding, non-O visa stuff, etc. for the YouTube vlog. Lots of people are curious about those issues and might benefit from an actual example.

All of these plans are contingent on my living long enough to see them put in action. God willing.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

billyboy (09-01-17), emu (09-01-17), Khun Don (07-01-17), Marie (08-01-17), mikeheart (08-01-17), Susana (08-01-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Nice to see you posting again, VC, and very sorry to read of your relapse. Please keep us informed of your progress.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

billyboy (09-01-17), emu (11-01-17), Marie (08-01-17), Susana (08-01-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Your planned vlog should really be helpful. I am looking forward to viewing it. Good luck on your plans to move to Thailand, but most of all please accept my sincere wishes for a better health.

Marie

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

billyboy (09-01-17), emu (09-01-17), Khun Don (08-01-17), Susana (08-01-17)

Thread Information