Blog Entries
    Thanks

Pak Chong: My Bruce Lee Story

I've been using Thailand as a base for the past 2 years whilst backpacking Asia. I also spent a year travelling Thailand back in 2010/2553. Because of this, i've gotten lazy, with a bit of a "been there, done that" attitude. But because this is my last visit to Thailand, before heading to Australia and South America, i decided to do something other than drift through the south, or head to Chiang Mai for a month. I'm a huge Bruce Lee fan and the first of the "big 4" movies he made, "The Big Boss", was filmed in Pak Chong, Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima). So i went there in an attempt to track down some of the locations seen in the movie, filmed 45 years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PakChong01.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	22230

Name:	PakChong02.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	22231

Name:	PakChong03.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	22232

As always, i arrived by 3rd class train (36฿ from Bangkok - or free if you're a Thai citizen). There was a steady stream of travellers here but they were all just passing through on their way to/from Khao Yai national park. The main town itself has several nice attractions along the main Thannon Tessaban road, just 1 minute walk south from the train station. Khaocan Park and the adjoined wild-west themed Khoacan Terminal are two such attractions. The latter having a nice view of the main thoroughfare. No entry fee is required for either of these places. Though i don't know if Khaocan Terminal is closed or just seasonal? But there was no activity here and everything was shut. Still, the view from the top is worth the effort. Nearby is Wat Wanchai. Spectacular aerial views of Pak Chong can be had from up here. Again, no entry fee. There is also a great night market along Thannon Tessaban, just south of the train station.

Name:	PakChong04.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	22233

Name:	PakChong05.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	22234

Name:	PakChong06.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	22235

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwing For This Useful Post:

Marie (31-07-16), Susana (01-08-16)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Pak Chong: My Bruce Lee Story

Name:	PakChong07.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	22236

Name:	PakChong08.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	22237

Name:	PakChong09.jpg 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	22238

Name:	PakChong10.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	22239

There's not even a whisper of Bruce Lee to be heard of in Pak Chong, yet ask some hotel owners or a local of a certain age, and they'll run behind the counter and bring forth a bundle of printouts of scenes from The Big Boss, showing Bruce Lee with various Pak Chong landmarks in the background. While i can speak Thai generally, i find it very difficult to have intricate conversations, especially about subjects like this, as i've just never come across or needed the required words before. Still, i managed to get the location of the ice factory featured in the movie. It's still in operation today and the owner is very friendly and is happy to give visitors the run of the place in order to take pictures and video.

Name:	PakChong11.jpg 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	22240

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arwing For This Useful Post:

emu (31-07-16), Marie (31-07-16)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sadly, i only made it to the ice factory. With more time (and a Thai friend) i could have discovered many more of the places featured in the movie. For some reason there is little to no information regarding this online. Yet for his last movie, "Enter the Dragon" there is a plethora of information. All the scenes, locations and how to get there. I had to pick up my things from Chiang Mai and then i head south to Phuket (where i fly to Australia from). So i had a lot of ground to cover on only a 30 day VISA. If i get the chance in the future, i'd like to document this as fully as i can. It's always nice to have an excuse to come back and it was great seeing Issan again too.

Name:	PakChong12.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	22241

Name:	PakChong13.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	22242

Name:	PakChong14.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	22243

Name:	PakChong15.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	22244

Name:	PakChong16.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	22245

Name:	PakChong17.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	22246

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arwing For This Useful Post:

emu (31-07-16), Khun Don (31-07-16), Marie (31-07-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,826 Posts

I wonder how Thais would pronounce BRUCE LEE. I imagine there's no problem with "Lee".But "Bruce" --since the sound "s" at the end of the word becomes "t"--does it become "Brut"? Only curious.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,144 Times in 1,918 Posts

Bruce would definitely take some effort, but I'm not sure, but I think Brut is a well educated guess.

Arwing, I don't want to get off topic, but I am curious about where you would like to go in South America. Are you considering Machu Picchu by any chance?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Bruce would definitely take some effort, but I'm not sure, but I think Brut is a well educated guess.

Arwing, I don't want to get off topic, but I am curious about where you would like to go in South America. Are you considering Machu Picchu by any chance?
    I've heard Brute Lee, Bruce Lee and Broo Lee. I don't think he has a Thai or international name, other than in Hong Kong where he's known by his full birth name, Lee Jun Fan. Obviously nowa-days stars like Tony Jaa and Jackie Chan are known by their international, or screen names. They're usually only known by their birth names in their country of origin.

I haven't really planned South America yet. All i know is i'll probably be starting in Chile. I try to make a rough plan of the places and locations i really want to see, before going. Then i just make the inbetween parts up as i go along. Macchu Picchu is definitely somewhere i'd like to go, but i will need to look in to the costs. I have heard it's very touristy and expensive now. Argentina and Brazil are also 2 certainties. Central America probably's are Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Cuba and Mexico. I've been travelling 2 years and my flight from Australia to S. America is going to cost ยฃ600+, leaving me on my last bit of money while travelling S.America. I'll probably just have to make an on the spot decision once i get there.

Have you been? Any advice?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arwing For This Useful Post:

Marie (01-08-16)

Thanks

Cuba is at the top of my list, even though I can't go right away. It is sure to change as time goes on. I have been to Oaxaca, Mexico and spent some leisurely time in the city when my daughter was teaching there. We went to Monte Alban, a Zapotec ruin. There are also Aztec ruins in that area of the country. The buses are very cheap and even the taxis. You can bargain but I chose not to except when we went to Tlalacalua (sp?), a market several miles from the city. They cram as many people as possible in the taxi before taking off. For in city travel I wondered how they could afford to operate their taxis on the prices they charged. There is also a Day of The Dead festival in the fall. I've been told prices are much higher then. If you should decide to go there I'll give you contact information for the place I stayed.
    I want to go to Machu Picchu, but Cuba comes first. I've had a fascination with Peru for a very long ime.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Arwing (01-08-16)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow. So many places to see in South and Central America. I have some names of places whizzing about my head, yet none are the ones you just mentioned (aside from Machu Picchu). If there's one thing i've learned, it's that you can't see it all, so don't try - at least not in one sitting. If i can do Machu Picchu independently, i'll almost certainly do it. If you have to go with tours, then price will be the decider. There are also so many factors that will determine how long i stay in S. America. Whether i get work in Australia to top up my funds. How cheap is it compared to Thailand? - I average 400฿ a day here, for room, food, motorbike hire... everything. Then there's length of stay, whether VISAs are required if entering via land route. I think i know what my week in Krabi will be spent researching soon :O If i make it to Machu Piccu, i'll send you the link to the relevant blog entry when the time comes. I'm brushing up on my Spanish too (Thanks to my ever faithful Nintendo DS).

Thanks
    Thanked 5,022 Times in 3,223 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arwing View Post
    Whether i get work in Australia to top up my funds. How cheap is it compared to Thailand? - I average 400฿ a day here, for room, food, motorbike hire... everything. .
    This might help on Australia.

http://www.ozultra.com/Backpacking-A...-Australia.php

Here are the working visa rules for UK citizens-not suggesting you use the company, by the way-just the visa info

http://www.ppcuk.lnk.visafirst.com/e...djMBoC1Orw_wcB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Arwing (02-08-16)

Thanks

Do you have time for one more forum? Try MexConnect.com. You'll find lots of information there, and like here you can ask questions.

For free Spanish lessons go to StudySpanish.com.

I can't really compare it to Thailand. I paid a little more for my efficiency since I wanted a safe and secure place in an old colonial building. One week would be around $159. US, $238 for two weeks, $286 for 3 weeks and $318 for 4 weeks.

Food is not as good or as cheap as Thailand. Of course you can always do your own cooking.

I'm getting homesick for both places just from thinking about going.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Arwing (04-08-16)

Thread Information