Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,130 Posts

Comfort the Oppressed and Oppress the Comfortable

I'm sure many on these forums are annoyed by my ignorance of "common knowledge".

My aversion to common sense came about many years ago, stemming from my confusion over how things, I knew to be bullshit, were often reported as fact on the news. Daily, my reality was contradicted. Then, on a local LA talk radio show, the answer came.

While having a discussion on the topic of the news, a USC journalism professor stated that the object of good journalism was to "afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted." This was a quote attributed to H.L. Mencken.

Silly me! I thought the purpose of a good journalist was to report the facts!

Since then, I always question what I read and hear and will do my own investigation.

Here is an example of reality versus common knowledge:

The Affordable Care act was presented as a God send for families and the poor. The driving force for passing the bill was the caring hearts of the government. If you check out the link I am posting, one might realize the true drive behind it's passage.

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top...&showYear=2016

One of the "great successes" that those still buying into the fantasy cite is that 20~30 million more families now have health insurance. Look at #3 on the list! Blue Cross has been quite successful, indeed! The 3 that follow Blue Cross had a bit of say too!

I grew up in the era of Timothy Leary - "Think for yourself; question authority..." For me, the authority also includes the media!
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (13-08-16), Khun Don (08-08-16), mikeheart (08-08-16)

Thanks

Re: Comfort the Oppressed and Oppress the Comfortable

Thanks Curt for your often only one liners that cut across and expose BS. I for one am not annoyed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeheart For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (08-08-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,230 Times in 3,373 Posts

Facts do not sell newspapers. Sensationalism and bending the truth does.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,956 Posts

I don't know anyone who is happy with the new healthcare, but of course I'm not closely connected with anyone in the insurance business either.

When I studied journalism it was about the facts. Of course there are have always been those who choose their facts carefully to present the picture they want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (11-08-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,130 Posts

When I studied journalism it was about the facts.
    You must be around my age.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,956 Posts

I suspect as much!

I started journalism in high school, then went on to two years of journalism in college where I was feature editor of the newspaper and wrote movie and play reviews. Torn between a major in journalism and English Lit, I chose the latter and transferred to a school which did not offer journalism as a major.

I at least studied journalism long enough to learn about who, what, where, when and why.

Thread Information