PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Tomboy and things relate to them.
    Thanks

Tomboy and things relate to them.

Hello. I'm an Asia. English isn't my native language and Thái is not either. Sorry.

Here the problem, It's only 3 weeks left that me and my friend will go to Thailand for travelling. I have a friend look a little bit boyish with short hair, oxfort shoes, pants and shirt. I don't know but when we going out together we look like a gay couple she only wear skirts and high heels in her country because she doesn't want to get uncomfortable when travelling abroad (Especially in Thailand. It's our first overseas trip) We plan to spend our first three days in Pattaya and two days in Bankok. So I have a couple questions to ask.

1/ Is Thai people okay with that? (tomboy and homosexual)
    2/ Is it true that woman can't visit churches, temples if they wearing skirts or reveal clothing?
    3/ I've heard that Thai people always put men before woman. Is it true?
    4/ They said Thailand is the land of smiles but also the land of lies. not in all cases but I heard a lot lately (from friends and others)
    5/ Is Thailand becoming more or less violent? Since Thailand's King passed away, I don't know if Thailand is safer or not?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions. I can't help but feeling worry. Thank you very much for taking your time to read all this

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Tomboy and things relate to them.

1) For the most part, Thais are ok with it.

2) Depends on the temple. But, if dress codes are enforced, many will have "loaner" attire. But, do keep in mind that we are talking places of worship.

3) Thai men usually put themselves before women. Thailand is quite a patriarchal society.

4) Thais, in general, are quite friendly. And, if you ever need any assistance, mot will do their best to help out. However, most are fairly shy. So, if you come across are friendly Thai, striking up a chat, there is a good chance it could lead to a scam.

5) Thailand is as safe as most other countries. If you stay out of trouble at home, odds are good you will stay out of trouble in Thailand. Don't get drunk, stay out into the early morning hours, and keep alert.

Pattaya can get a little wild. Keep you wits about you.

If anything, the passing of the King has brought added security.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Thanks for your post, Kaleidoscope. Let me share my OPINION on your inquiry.Please note that I am not an expert but I read a lot about the situation in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleidoscope View Post

Here the problem, I have a friend look a little bit boyish with short hair, oxfort shoes, pants and shirt. I don't know but when we going out together we look like a gay couple she only wear skirts and high heels in her country because she doesn't want to get uncomfortable when travelling abroad (Especially in Thailand. It's our first overseas trip)
    I am a bit confused. Are you saying she wears skirts and high heels to avoid feeling uncomfortable? Sorry, but I think I am missing something here. As a woman, I feel uncomfortable wearing high heels, as compared to flats. More so when I travel and need to walk long distances. So, what do you mean?

We plan to spend our first three days in Pattaya and two days in Bankok. So I have a couple questions to ask

1/ Is Thai people okay with that? (tomboy and homosexual)--Yes.
    2/ Is it true that woman can't visit churches, temples if they wearing skirts or reveal clothing?-- No VERY SHORT skirts and skimpy clothes.
    3/ I've heard that Thai people always put men before woman. Is it true?- You mean when walking? I don't think so.
    4/ They said Thailand is the land of smiles but also the land of lies. not in all cases but I heard a lot lately (from friends and others)--Like in Vietnam, which you indicated as your location, there are liars and honest people in Thailand.
    [5/ Is Thailand becoming more or less violent? Since Thailand's King passed away, I don't know if Thailand is safer or not? --There are many tourists still coming to Thailand. I also will visit soon. I think that as long as we avoid trouble spots, take utmost care and behave responsibly, we will be fine.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (29-01-17)

Thanks

4) Thais, in general, are quite friendly. And, if you ever need any assistance, mot will do their best to help out. However, most are fairly shy. So, if you come across are friendly Thai, striking up a chat, there is a good chance it could lead to a scam.
    I'll take note about this. Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Thanks for your post, Kaleidoscope. Let me share my OPINION on your inquiry.Please note that I am not an expert but I read a lot about the situation in Thailand.

I am a bit confused. Are you saying she wears skirts and high heels to avoid feeling uncomfortable? Sorry, but I think I am missing something here. As a woman, I feel uncomfortable wearing high heels, as compared to flats. More so when I travel and need to walk long distances. So, what do you mean?
    Ah. I mean she thinks wearing skirts and high heels in her hometown is more comfortable. sorry for made you misunderstood

There are many tourists still coming to Thailand. I also will visit soon. I think that as long as we avoid trouble spots, take utmost care and behave responsibly, we will be fine.
    You have a good point. It's our first trip and we'll be careful. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 697 Posts

Regarding when walking, when my wife and I are in the cities, we walk side by side. In the village, she will walk behind, because that is the custom.
    Things change when we go into Combodia though, as she walks in front due to the threat of unexploded land mines.
    But because I love her, we usually take the kids with us, so they go in front to give me that extra buffer.
    Cheers.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Curt (01-02-17), Khun Don (30-01-17), mikeheart (30-01-17), robjak (30-01-17)

Thread Information