Thanks
    Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,845 Posts

Words of Wisdom from Bill Gates

I wish I had heard similar words when I was young! I would have not squandered a big part of my youth on imprudence!-Marie
    ---------------------
    Love him or hate him , he sure hits the nail on the head with this!
    Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about eleven things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world doesn't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.
    Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: They called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were: So before you save the rain-forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. *This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. (Do that on your own time.)

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life, people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

If you can read this...thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English...thank a Soldier!
    And for life and everything else you have...thank God!
    Now....think about this and smile if you agree and please pass this on....
    If you don't agree, go stick your head in the SAND and take a DEEP BREATH!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

emu (13-02-17), Khun Don (13-02-17), mikeheart (13-02-17), Susana (13-02-17), Tiger62 (16-02-17)

Thanks

Re: Words of Wisdom from Bill Gates

Hi

This is just common sense. I knew all this when I was 14. still do.
    I don't think this is from Bill Gates, Have seen this same quote attributed to different people. but still good advice. Usually used by political pundits to bolster their cause depending how they spin it.

I think more parents think this way then do their children. except the spoiled kids from affluent parents who worry more about money than spending time with children.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,956 Posts

Those are wise words, no matter who first said them or who repeated them. Thanks for sharing, Marie.

Bill and Melinda Gates evidently have done a lot of good with their money. My only objection would be to their promotion of genetically modified seeds. Why replace seeds which have been saved for generations and produce good healthy food? Anyone who has ever lived on a farm, or had farming grandparents or neighbors will recall seeing seeds drying in dishes on the kitchen table or counter. Seeds were harvested from the best vegetables and fruits and saved in glass jars for the next year. That can't be done with gm seeds, leaving poor farmers worldwide vulnerable and at the mercy of corporations like Monsanto. If The Gates Foundation is so concerned with helping the poor why do they promote something which puts the already vulnerable at risk?

And then there's Common Core.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (13-02-17), Marie (13-02-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 3,367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    And then there's Common Core.
    Meanwhile, back in the UK........... Coincidence?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Marie (14-02-17), Susana (16-02-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khonrai View Post
    Hi

This is just common sense. I knew all this when I was 14. still do.
    I don't think this is from Bill Gates, Have seen this same quote attributed to different people. but still good advice. Usually used by political pundits to bolster their cause depending how they spin it.
    This is the source of the article. You may want to complain to them? http://www.daveswordsofwisdom.com/20...ust.html?spref

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

Hi

Have no reason to complain great rules. This article has been miss attributed many times in the last 15 years.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/schoolrules.asp

but this is a prime example of why you shouldn't take any thing published on the web as fact or truth until you have checked it out.

Just because it agrees with your beliefs does not make it true.

Thanks

1) So, have these words been mis-attributed to Bill Gates? Fine, in the interest of accuracy, if anybody knows for certain the factual ascription, set the record straight and forward it to this outfit: http://www.daveswordsofwisdom.com/20...ust.html?spref

2) The crux of the matter is not that those are great pieces of advice because they originated from Bill Gates. Bill Gates is not the focus of importance here. The statements may have been uttered by someone else, but they will still ring true! As Susana eloquently said,
    Quote Originally Posted by Susana
    Those are wise words, no matter who first said them or who repeated them.
    Last edited by Marie; 14-02-17 at 03:55 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

mikeheart (14-02-17)

Thread Information