Thanks

Purchasing cell phone plan at ó airport

My wife and I are moving permanently to Thailand. We will arrive at ó airport in late March and it is our wish to convert our unlocked GSM iphones for use in Thailand by purchasing prepaid plans at the airport upon arrival so we can use them immediately to call family and friends in the USA and Thailand.

We hope to be able to purchase at the airport prepaid plans similar to the prepaid monthly plans we now have with AT&T here in the USA, which provides unlimited calling and texting with 4GB of data; actually, I am not sure we need that much data; now we use very little data since almost all our use is from our home WIFI, and I am sure this will also be the case in Thailand. Where WIFI is not available, I will tether my laptop to my phone hotspot, but I am sure this will not be necessary often, if ever.

After comparing the various service providers, We have decided on DTAC due to its good customer service.

Will we be able to subscribe to the plan we want at the airport, and after subscribing to our plans at the airport and paying there for the first month with cash or debit card, will we subsequently be able to pay monthly by auto-debit to our Bangkok Bank savings account and be able to change our plans
    online if we wish?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,108 Posts

Re: Purchasing cell phone plan at ó airport

Just like in the States, the providers are hard-sell sharks. You might do well to simply install whatever you find cheapest at the airport, then shop around after you settle in a bit. Right off the plane, you will be very vulnerable to their BS.

Personally, we have found DTAC coverage limited. True sales people have sold us bogus packages, only to wind up with some other offering.

So far, we have had the best luck with AIS, both with service and coverage.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

rochana (27-02-17)

Thanks

Hi

cell phone service is not anything like in USA. Much better here.. agree with curt shop around first. before committing I don't have a plan I have DTAC and get unlimited data for 320 baht a month. I just pay at 7/11 then call in the numbers I was given to activate my service . DTAC is fine in major cities it traveling and out of town where the signal is weak.

YOU will need your passport to buy any sim card or plan. I have heard of some people, buying on line then picking up at airport when they arrive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to khonrai For This Useful Post:

rochana (27-02-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,108 Posts

Actually, here in Bangkok, my wife's DTAC SIM has found plenty of dead zones.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

rochana (27-02-17)

Thread Information