Thanks
    Thanked 5,194 Times in 3,346 Posts

Too little, too late for Lahu traumatised by youth's killing

Too little, too late for Lahu traumatised by youth's killing
    28 May 2017 at 07:00
    NEWSPAPER SECTION: SPECTRUM | WRITER: PARITTA WANGKIAT

'They pointed a gun at me," Lana whispers into my ear. It's like a confession after her attempts to tell me fragments of a happy story that sounds like her Lahu community lives in a peaceful haven -- but she hesitates when saying "they are helping to develop us".

She will only use the terms "they" or "them" throughout our conversation instead of identifying the persons.

In 2005, the gun was pointed at her by "them" to prevent her and other Lahu accessing their farmland in Ban Kong Phak Ping village in Chiang Mai's Chiang Dao district, just a few kilometres from the Thai-Myanmar border. The altercation followed their discovery of young plants placed on the land as part of the authorities' forestation project, which the Lahu were unaware of.

The Lahu just wanted to reclaim part of the land to plant rice to catch up with the annual farming schedule. "They" accused the Lahu of encroaching on public land and chased away Lana's group at gunpoint. Lana was unscathed but a companion was hurt.

MORE: BANGKOK POST

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (30-05-17)

Thread Information