Thanks
    Thanked 5,185 Times in 3,338 Posts

Foreign tour guides plan under fire

Foreign tour guides under fire

Local association says 'savages' share profits

10 Jul 2017 at 04:30 14,751 viewed42 comments
    NEWSPAPER SECTION: NEWS | WRITER: OM JOTIKASTHIRA

Associations of local tour guide operators nationwide have gathered to oppose the government's plan to allow foreign tour guides to offer services in the country, saying the policy will result in huge unemployment.

MORE: BANGKOK POST

Thanks
    Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,943 Posts

Re: Foreign tour guides plan under fire

"These savages have come in to work as tour guides....."

I think this is a bit harsh. However, I would prefer a Thai tour guide who spoke English well. Maybe some existing tour guides will volunteer to learn other languages also.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (10-07-17), Marie (10-07-17), mikeheart (11-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,559 Times in 1,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post

I think this is a bit harsh. However, I would prefer a Thai tour guide who spoke English well. Maybe some existing tour guides will volunteer to learn other languages also.
    "Savages"? This is clearly an exaggeration.Not the best way to evoke sympathy. People will tend to think you have a weak argument that's why you need to overplay the situation.

I have met Thai tour guides who speak very good English, and those who speak English but with their heavy accent they sound like they''re speaking Thai. Fortunately my ears are familiar with that sound so it doesn't trouble me.

But not my fellow tourists on a guided tour to Kanjanaburi. They're from Switzerland, Austria, Germany. America and Australia. It was obvious they couldn't catch what the tourist guide was saying. Not even simple instructions. Much less his annotations about the places we were visiting.
    My co-passengers were obviously bored and frustrated.

That experience made me realize that above anything else, tour guides should be UNDERSTOOD by their clients. And so that might mean upgrading the language skills of the present manpower complement (which includes making them learn other languages), or hiring new guides already equipped with necessary language skills. But the gap should be addressed.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (10-07-17), Susana (11-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,115 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post

You left out an import part of that statement" and are collaborating with travel agencies, later sharing the profit,

and are collaborating with travel agencies, later sharing the profit
    I may be wrong. But, isn't it normal business for tour guides to collaborate with travel agencies? What is not right is tour guides collaborating with tailors, gem shops, and other businesses, working to fleece tourists, and later sharing in that profit!
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (11-07-17), mikeheart (11-07-17), Susana (11-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,943 Posts

I worked with a lot of students at AUA who were employed by hotels and gift shops. Most of them had studied English in school and were passable, but difficult to understand. A tourist not accustomed to speaking with a Thai might find them impossible to understand.

I think if the government were to contract with a language school to develop a program for tour guides and others employed in hospitality it would be most helpful. However, I fear they might prefer to let Thai public schools do the job.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (11-07-17), Marie (11-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,185 Times in 3,338 Posts

PM assures no foreign tour guides are allowed to work here
    in General | July 16, 2017 | By Thai PBS

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has reiterated that the government has no policy or intention whatsoever to allow foreign tour guides to work in the kingdom as tour guiding as a profession reserved for Thai citizens.

But he took note of the problem of shortage of tour guides which, he said, has dogged tourism industry for a long time. He said he had instructed the Education Ministry and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to work together to produce more qualified tour guides to meet the increasing demand and the expansion of tourism business.

MORE: THAI PBS

Thread Information