Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Reducing plastic bag usage

I wonder if anyone is aware of any campaign that encourages people in Thailand to change their habits by the use of reusable bags and discouraging the extremely high plastic bag consumption here?

Now I'm definitely not a "tree-hugging leftie", for want of a better label, but am concerned about the very high amount of plastic that's being discarded in the country and the sea too.

However, if there was some practical way to try and change attitudes on this, I'd been interested to find out more.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bahtman For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (15-07-17), mikeheart (22-07-17), Susana (17-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,104 Posts

Re: Reducing plastic bag usage

I believe Tesco-Lotus gives your card "points" for not using plastic bags. There are some others, although I can't think of them right off hand.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

Bahtman (15-07-17), Khun Don (15-07-17), Susana (17-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,124 Times in 3,300 Posts

We get charged for each of them in the UK-since that came in plastic bag usage has plummeted.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (17-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 653 Posts

I use "mai ow toong kap" a lot at 7/ 11, and many others. Why a bag for one small item?
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

mikeheart (22-07-17), Susana (17-07-17)

Thanks

Hi, I'm from the UK, I've lived and worked in Thailand and China and Thailand is far behind socially and politically on this issue. There's no campaign to reduce bag consumption in Thailand that I'm aware of. As Khun Don pointed out, when Brits started getting charged 5 pence per bag, usage dropped by around 90%. China has the same policy - you have to pay for plastic bags, the costs vary between shops but I shopped a lot in Justco in China and small bags were 0.9RMB - 5baht, while large bags were 1.9RMB. That's the only way to address this issue and force people to change their behavior. Hopefully the government will mandate this in the future. The only issue with this, is that bag do come in handy when you want to collect trash. In China, I'd buy trash bags from the grocery store whereas in Thailand I can use Tesco or 7-11 bags for this purpose.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PakDude For This Useful Post:

Bahtman (22-07-17), emu (16-07-17), Khun Don (16-07-17), Susana (17-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,937 Posts

I keep a supply of totes in my car which I use grocery shopping. Still, I collect far too many plastic bags.

I think if there were an effort to make reusable bags fashionable most Thais would follow along. An example might be a public service type campaign promoting reusable bags with Thai designs.

I'm with you, Emu, why put one itty bitty item in a bag? Or, my other peave, an item which already has a handle.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Bahtman (22-07-17), emu (23-07-17), Khun Don (17-07-17)

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, sorry for my slow response.

It's interesting that China seems way ahead of Thailand on this issue. Sadly no one has managed to answer my original question about any ongoing campaign/groups in Thailand trying to reduce usage.

The only group I've managed to find any info about is Trash Hero, although that's based on Ko Phangan and they seem to be more involved with collecting rubbish on the beach. I've had no success in finding anyone currently trying to raise awareness to reduce usage, especially among Thais.

I think Susana's comment about making reusable bags fashionable is a very good idea to fight the present "throwaway" culture. In my opinion, I feel it needs to start by educating schoolkids so they're aware of the enormous environmental impact.

Btw Susana, what's "totes"? I'm assuming it's an American term, I'm a Brit.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bahtman For This Useful Post:

Susana (25-07-17)

Thanks

A simple question "do you need a bag? "would be an easy place to start. Bu as we know nothing is simple here. Rimping does try, I forget what the sign says but the staff never ask just put in a bag.

Like Emu I normally say no bag thank you. However practically for most locals they need them because they are riding motorbikes.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeheart For This Useful Post:

Susana (25-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,124 Times in 3,300 Posts

There could an opportunity for street sellers to sell motorcycle and pocket friendly reusable cotton bags if the government imposed a small charge for bags as they do in the UK.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (25-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 653 Posts

7/ 11 have had a few campaigns. Here is one.
    Straws are onother thing that should be self serve. Currently, they give you a straw for any liquid, like it or not.

http://www.packwebasia.com/sustainab...ge-in-thailand

Nothing worse than getting my wifes bottle of water, take the lid off to have a swig and get speared in the throat by a straw.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (23-07-17), Susana (25-07-17)

Thread Information