Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Announcement of closure of the Paknam Web Forums

Quote Originally Posted by kfchugo View Post
    Very sad to see the forum close......it has been a great source of information, entertainment and online company for me.
    yeahh, i dont know what to say now.....you said it all..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,130 Posts

I think the decline began with the banning of Paul ...
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for all of your comments and feedback. I have also been talking to a number of people privately. The consensus is that they would like to see the forums continue in some form. Options range from hosting the forums for free on servers belonging to other people to selling the forums. There are pros and cons to both of these options. The moderators are keen on keeping the forums alive, but the consensus is that I should keep overall control to maintain the quality and respect for Thailand. No-one wants to be a pale version of ThaiVisa. And as our names are all over the forums, I am sure many of us would be worried if the direction of the forums suddenly changed.

Another option is for me to downgrade the dedicated server. I have finished moving my other websites to a cheaper shared server. The only remaining website on the dedicated server is ThailandQA. As it is not as active as in the past, there might be a possibility to downgrade to a dedicated server with lower specifications. (It is not an option to move the forum to a cheap shared server as they don't allow that.) Ad revenue has dropped a lot but it should be able to cover at least 50% of the cost of a cheaper dedicated server. Then maybe we could ask for donations to help pay for the rest. Cheaper dedicated servers cost from about $15 a month.

At the moment, we are fast running out of time as on 14th November my credit card will be charged $52 for another month. Ad revenue on the forum is only $10 a month. Which means I will lose $42. Which is something I have been shouldering for a year or so now.

Any thoughts?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (12-11-17)

Thanks

I will happily make a contribution of $Aust50 and I am sure others will make similar offers. That will give us some breathing space to consider other options. If those active members we now have can each try to get a few new members that would help. I also previously suggested a broadcast email to all members on file to re-engage with the site......with more active members, the advertising revenue should improve. It would also help if we all click on the site of advertisers......even if we dont buy, "hits" from our site will increase and should make advertisers happier. Richard might like to post (or PM those willing to contribute) details of how to get the money to him.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kfchugo For This Useful Post:

emu (12-11-17), Khun Don (12-11-17), Marie (12-11-17), Richard Barrow (12-11-17)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks, that is very generous of you. Another month will give us more time to consider all of the options. For sure, the consensus is now to keep the forums going. Either on a cheaper server, or hosted somewhere for free with no strings attached.

Can you use this link to make a donation: https://www.paypal.me/richardthailand In the comments, please note it is for the forum. Thanks

As for the adverts, I have added two blocks on the righthandside. Not sure if it will help. People just don't click on adverts much these days. Plus many people have ad blockers in their browsers. BTW, it is against Google policy for me to ask people to click on the adverts.

Thanks again for your generous offer.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

emu (12-11-17), Khun Don (12-11-17)

Thanks

Richard, I have organised the payment as promised. If you are considering one of the "free hosting" offers,I note that member Spiritvn has made the offer - for what it is worth, I have known Long and his lovely wife for several years now and know them to be talented IT professionals and people of excellent character. It must be a difficult time for you with tough decisions to be made and you have my sympathy - I hope a few more members will jump on the bandwagon to save a resource that has benefitted many.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kfchugo For This Useful Post:

emu (12-11-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,262 Times in 680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I think the decline began with the banning of Paul ...
    Funny you should say that. It gave many people a focus. We have all sorts in this wacky world.

Betty was a good contributor. I did hear why she was banned, but so long ago, I have forgotten. Many nice photos from Chiang Mai region.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

Thanks

What a character he was. What was the final straw that got him banned? Does anybody remember?
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,262 Times in 680 Posts

He had an alter ego as well as I remember. A russian named female. Same turn of phrase, same attitude. Hahaha.
    Here we go. Found a teaser. Haha.
    http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/show...ht=#post288522

The reference to "X" is the giveaway.
    Last edited by emu; 12-11-17 at 07:59 PM.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

Thanks

Hi

Betty and Paul gave us color and character. Dave, Quava Vision Chaser gave us heart

Now all we have here is Vanilla, trite and hate.

Thread Information