Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Thanks

Re: Announcement of closure of the Paknam Web Forums

If this site is to be of any use to anyone, it needs to change and get some of the old faces back, as well as some new ones. The site is Thailand based and so there are obvious imitations on what we can discuss, but there is a great deal about Thailand, its people, culture, attractions and history that we can talk about. Not to mention our own day to day lives, experiences, loves, hates etc., etc. Thailandqa was once a thriving community with plenty of information, banter and robust discussion and I would love to see it return to some semblance of what it was.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kfchugo For This Useful Post:

emu (15-11-17), Susana (13-11-17)

Thanks

panic Re: Announcement of closure of the Paknam Web Forums

Hmmm. I drifted away a few years ago, but not because of anything in particular, I guess I had just ran out of things to say.
    I only have fond memories of my time here and remember the warmth of the people. I took a look in my inbox in this forum last week and was overwhelmed rediscovering all the supportive messages I had received after my divorce from a Thai woman from a lot of people; Marie, VisionChaser, David, Guava, Betti, Pailin, FaranginPhetch, iGotNotime, Bucky. These messages of support were a great help to me during that time and I am forever grateful to each of these people.

I don't know what happened after I drifted away. There seems to be a fair bit of resentment and hostility going on. I hope the possibility of this forum going away becomes a wake up call for lapsed members to come back and MTFGA!! (lol).
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post:

Susana (13-11-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,956 Posts

Not sure what "MTFGA" means, but I'm glad you're back.

My guess is that it cannot be spelled out here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (13-11-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Not sure what "MTFGA" means, but I'm glad you're back.

My guess is that it cannot be spelled out here.
    C'mon! What do you take me for? It simply means "Make ThailandQA Forum Great Again"!
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post:

emu (17-11-17), Spiritvn (14-11-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,956 Posts

How dare I think such thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    Thanks for all of your comments and feedback. I have also been talking to a number of people privately. The consensus is that they would like to see the forums continue in some form. Options range from hosting the forums for free on servers belonging to other people to selling the forums. There are pros and cons to both of these options. The moderators are keen on keeping the forums alive, but the consensus is that I should keep overall control to maintain the quality and respect for Thailand. No-one wants to be a pale version of ThaiVisa. And as our names are all over the forums, I am sure many of us would be worried if the direction of the forums suddenly changed.

Another option is for me to downgrade the dedicated server. I have finished moving my other websites to a cheaper shared server. The only remaining website on the dedicated server is ThailandQA. As it is not as active as in the past, there might be a possibility to downgrade to a dedicated server with lower specifications. (It is not an option to move the forum to a cheap shared server as they don't allow that.) Ad revenue has dropped a lot but it should be able to cover at least 50% of the cost of a cheaper dedicated server. Then maybe we could ask for donations to help pay for the rest. Cheaper dedicated servers cost from about $15 a month.

At the moment, we are fast running out of time as on 14th November my credit card will be charged $52 for another month. Ad revenue on the forum is only $10 a month. Which means I will lose $42. Which is something I have been shouldering for a year or so now.

Any thoughts?
    I guess mov to a SSD VPS is cheaper, faster and enough for an inactive forum but no need to be too cheap. When we offered the hosting payment and management help to make it better, we are sure not to suddenly change too much but the forum need to be changed if you want it to be more active. You can still be in charge and own everything, but i guess Khun Don was the one spending more time on the forum, you can let him make some important decisions while you are not active here much, that we can make it better together. We can't help if we dont have permission to do so. And sure, we dont want to make another Thai-Visa, it's dying too.

Quote Originally Posted by kfchugo View Post
    Richard, I have organised the payment as promised. If you are considering one of the "free hosting" offers,I note that member Spiritvn has made the offer - for what it is worth, I have known Long and his lovely wife for several years now and know them to be talented IT professionals and people of excellent character. It must be a difficult time for you with tough decisions to be made and you have my sympathy - I hope a few more members will jump on the bandwagon to save a resource that has benefitted many.
    Thanks Tony for very kind words, it's great to know you and other members.

In case Richard feels that the forum do not need to be change and all of us want to keep it as a memorial graveyard, i'm sure that i can host it for free, no need to take the advertisement income and also do not need any extra payment.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spiritvn For This Useful Post:

emu (15-11-17), kfchugo (14-11-17), Susana (14-11-17), xfiles20001999 (14-11-17)

Thread Information