Thanks

Apartment living in Bangkok

Hi everyone! I've started a new life for myself here in Talat Noi. While I've had quite a bit of experience traveling in Thailand, this is the first time I've had my own apartment. I also tend to get out of Bangkok quickly when I come to Thailand, but this time things are different, largely because I've given up my lifelong bachelor existence and have a truly wonderful girlfriend here.

This is also going to be my most intense experience with the Thai language. While my reading skills are quite excellent, I've always lagged behind where I want to be regarding listening and speaking. Living here and interacting with the community is sure to change that. While my girlfriend Sai does speak some limited English and is eager to learn, the vast majority of our communications has been in Thai, which is already testing the limits of my abilities. Still it's great fun, even if rather taxing on my brain at times.

Our apartment is on the top floor of a six story building. The neighborhood has a lot of local flavor and I expect to be quite happy here. It's an easy walk to the express boat pier and the MRT at Hualamphong, so I can get around without relying on taxis and tuk-tuks all the time. There is a view of the Chao Phraya River out my window, and when I climb the stairs up to the rooftop, there is a lovely view of the city. Here is a video from the rooftop.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tim For This Useful Post:

emu (30-11-17), Khun Don (21-11-17), Marie (06-12-17), Susana (22-11-17)

Thanks

Re: Apartment living in Bangkok

Great to here. great video aswell.

Thanks

Tomorrow I'm flying to Mandalay for five nights. Why? Because nothing says Happy Thanksgiving like the traditional trip to Myanmar. Actually I have a good friend, originally from Minnesota, who has spent most of his adult life teaching English in various Asian countries, and now has married a Burmese woman. They have a girl who is almost three years old. I visited there once before, about two years ago.

So anyway, I asked Sai, who is extremely passionate about cooking, to help whip up something special that I can bring to Mandalay in the Thanksgiving spirit. We more or less followed a recipe I found online for vegetarian stuffing. I bought whole wheat bread and butter at 7-11 and everything else came from the local market.

Now, for a little 'East meets West' twist, I told Sai I wanted to put the stuffing inside of spring roll wrappers which she bought a few days ago off nearby Yaorowat Road in Chinatown. The result is tasty and unique.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171121_074810.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	22591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171121_090532.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	22592  

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tim For This Useful Post:

emu (30-11-17), kfchugo (22-11-17), Khun Don (22-11-17), Marie (06-12-17), Susana (22-11-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,959 Posts

Best wishes to you, Tim. I lived near the river and think it is the only way (for me, anyway) to live in Bangkok. I loved walking to the pier and taking the boat, too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Tim (05-12-17)

Thanks

The famous Chinatown Arch is only a couple blocks away from my place. Here is a picture I took two nights ago of the full moon over the arch.

Name:	IMG_20171203_204942.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	22593  

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tim For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (06-12-17), Marie (06-12-17), mikeheart (06-12-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,577 Times in 1,847 Posts

I missed this thread-just saw it now! Apparently, you posted it while I was away on holiday starting November 20.

Nice pics. Wow, your spring rolls look yummy, and healthy, too--consistent with your dietary regimen, I suppose? How did your friends in Mandalay like it? I have almost same recipe, all veggies stuffing, except that we sometimes add meat, like chicken/pork or shrimps to enhance the taste. After cooking the vegetable mix, you pour the filling into a fresh wrapper and it's ready to eat. The other version is deep fry the spring roll. I like both. though I tend to avoid the second one because of its oily content.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    I missed this thread-just saw it now! Apparently, you posted it while I was away on holiday starting November 20.

Nice pics. Wow, your spring rolls look yummy, and healthy, too--consistent with your dietary regimen, I suppose? How did your friends in Mandalay like it?
    We never actually ate them with the family in Mandalay, as they kept going out to traditional Myanmar restaurants. Also the mother was rather protective of "her kitchen".

So I just left the spring rolls with them. I hope they tried them. I certainly liked the ones I ate previously. They weren't deep fried, just heated for a couple minutes in a microwave.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim For This Useful Post:

Marie (07-12-17)

Thanks

Oh yes, another mode of transportation I didn't mention is the local buses. Through the magic of Google Maps and this great Bangkok bus site I've learned to get around on some of the local bus lines in my area. I quite enjoy the buses most of the time, and it's the cheapest way to get places. Plus it's often an adventure!

I took line 40 back from the HomePro store by Ploenchit BTS station a couple weeks ago. I had bought a stand up fan and a few other items; nothing too heavy but it was a little bulky. The cost was a mere 9 baht as the bus I took was not air conditioned.

Name:	IMG_20171121_160702 (1).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	22596  

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (07-12-17), Marie (07-12-17)

Thanks

Acquiring some furniture

When I arrived here a month ago Sai was doing much of the food preparation on the floor. The apartment is minimally furnished, but we had no proper table and Sai had been using a desk for storing kitchen items and non-perishable food.

We had gone up to the local Big C and Lotus, but neither had the kind of food pantry that we wanted, basically just a simple aluminium box with doors and perforated sides. So the plan was to walk up to Chinatown and look around for one there. The first place we checked didn't have the right kind either, but the tuk-tuk drivers outside convinced Sai they knew of a good place not too far away, so off we went. As it turned out, it was just the place we were looking for, and prices were good.

We clambered up steep stairs to the third floor where we found a suitable unit crammed amidst all manner of other furniture. There was also a decent table with folding legs that we found nearby. Now, how to get them home? Easy, the shop owner found us another tuk-tuk; the table went inside with us and the pantry unit (ตู้อาหาร) was strapped to the back. Virtually all tuk-tuks have straps or rope to tie things on the back.

After we got home, this is what our little cooking and dining area looked like. Since then I've also purchased a microwave oven.

I had originally wanted to liberate the little desk for my own reading but it turns out that sitting at the table is more comfortable anyway. All in all not too bad, considering we don't even have a separate kitchen in the apartment! It's all just one long room, plus the bathroom.

Name:	IMG_20171109_141517.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	22601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171109_141620.jpg 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	22600  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171109_121021.jpg 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	22599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171109_120628.jpg 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	22598  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171109_083918.jpg 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	22597  

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tim For This Useful Post:

emu (09-12-17), kfchugo (08-12-17), Khun Don (07-12-17), mikeheart (07-12-17)

Thanks

You are really settling in there, Tim......you may never see Minnesota again

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kfchugo For This Useful Post:

mikeheart (08-12-17)

Thread Information