PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Hassle-free Bangkok to Siem Reap
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

panic Hassle-free Bangkok to Siem Reap

Does anyone know a service that is hassle-free and will get me into Siem Reap without riding in the back of a truck and experiencing the scam guys at the Cambodian Border??I cannot afford to fly there. There are many tour companies in Bkk but the bus from the border to SR always turns into an old truck... please look at this article

`http://talesofasia.com/cambodia-update.htm#scam

maybe someone knows how this can be avoided

Thanks

Re: Hassle-free Bangkok to Siem Reap

the website cited also provides the solutions to avoid the scam

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr.htm

if you have a reservation with a hotel or guesthouse in Siem Reap, you could ask them about a Toyota Camry drive to Siem Reap. if they have guests to be dropped off at the border that day, you can surely arrange to be picked up.

Thanks

I don't know how relevant this is, it was a few years ago now. I took the train from Hualampong, B50, to Aranyapratet. The motorcycle taxi B20 to the Border. I then noticed a load of tourists being herded into a shop near the border post with pickup outside. Apparently paying B600 for the honour of being packed 14 to a truck. I walked through the town and saw some similar pickups with locals on them and went 12 on my pickup to Siem reap for B60. (BKK to Siem Reap B150!!!!!)

On the pickup on the way there I noticed they had two people on the front seat. In Siem Reap I enquired if it was possible to buy the whole seat for double the money. At Siem Reap the fair went up to B100, so I paid B200 hundred and had a really comforatble ride back.

Thanks

The most hassle-free, tho not the cheapest, would be to fly Air Asia. They are not so expensive.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

I think Air Asia only goes to Phnom Penh, Bangkok Airways is the only airline goes to Siem Reap from Bangkok -and, having a monopoly, they charge accordingly!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Indeed, about 121 one-way or 182 return.

And rather confusingly Siem Reap International airways only fly to Siem Reap via Phnom Penh from Bangkok at a cost of 145 one-way.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

for those on a South-East Asia highlights round trip, Lao Aviation flies from Luang Prabang twice a week (via Pakse).

Thanks

I went from Bangkok to Siem Reap last August. Took the train to Aranyapratet, and stayed there for the night. I had a couple of telephonenumbers of guesthouses in Siem Reap in my cellphone and called them. I found a guesthouse that picked me up at the border, the taxi ride was free. There deal is that if you stay 3 or more nights they pick you up for free at the border.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Mathias, that is useful to know. Do you remember the names of those guesthouses by any chance?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Good question, Richard, I have just been checking some of the guesthouses in Siem Reap out of interest-hopefully I will make it there sometime in 2008-and the ones I have checked offer border pick-up as an extra. Airport pick-up, incidentally, is often free on a 2 night stay.

Thread Information