PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My trip
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My trip

Thanks
    I had an exellent time in Thailand. I arrived in Bangkok at 11pm on the night of November 5th. I spent the night at the airport as I always do with my friend Nop. Nop is 42 year old thai man who works at the airport selling taxi service to the people arriving at the airport. I met Nop about one year ago, on my birthday (december 17th). The first time I met Nop was on my way back home. I had just arrived at bangkok airport from my flight from Hat Yai and was sitting outside looking completly depressed. Nop can speak a decent amount of english so he struck up a converstaion with me. He told me he knew I was going back home because of the look on my face. After some talking I had told him it was my birthday. Nop said that he wanted to take me out for a few drinks after he finished his shift at 1am. Now everytime I come to Bangkok internation Airport Nop takes me out somewhere.
    This time I agreed to meet Nop at the Burger King on the 3rd floor of the airport when he finished his shift. When Nop got off we left the aiport and went out to eat some Pad Thai and caught up on what was going on in each of out lives. After we were finished eating Nop offered to let me stay at his house but I declined because my flight was leaving at 7:30 that morning and I did not want Nop to have to wake up at 5am to take me back to the airport. Nop dropped me off at the airport and I waited to catch my 7:30 flight to Hat Yai.
    Once I arrived at the airport in Hat Yai I was greeted my girlfriend, Su, and her room mate, Nid. Su Told me that her apartment Had flooded out the night before, so I decided to rent a room out at the My House Hotel. The room was cheap. I stayed at the Hotel for 4 nights and only paid a total of $50 for the whole stay. Su, Nid and I pretty much spent the first day hanging out at the hotel. Nid and Su both work at an internet shop in downtown Hat Yai. The week before Nid had met two white guys from montreal canada, Frank and Fred. Nid suggested that Frank come by the hotel so, for once, I could have someone to talk to in english. Frank stopped by and suggested we go out to eat. We went to a japanese restruant at the local mini Mall. Frank's travleing partner, fred, joined us at the restruant. The girls did not enjoy the japanese quisene as most Thai's I know are not in to trying new foregin foods. I had the sushi, which was delicious and had a blash talking to frank and fred. It was the first time that I was not the one trying to figure out what everyone was saying.
    We really didn't do a whole lot that first week in Hat Yai. Lots of shopping and Eating. Many of my Thai friends stopped by the Hotel to vist me. Mot, pawn, Nok, Dream, Rin, and Sui stopped by and they all taught me to play a thai card game called bokden. Other than that I did alot of shopping and eating. Not as much eating as the times before though because I learned not to be shy about not being hungry.
    On my 5th day in Thailand Su, Sui and I took a 5am (I was extremly tired that day) bus to Phuket. We were going to visit out friend Sao who used to live in Hat Yai but now works in Phuket. The ride to Phuket from Hat Yai is about 9 hours long. About 7 hrs into the ride Su had received a call from her mother that her brother, Pong, had been in a minor motorcycle accident. When it comes to thais and family there is nothing that in Minor. Thus I gave my girl friend 1500 baht and she got off the bus and got another bus to Hat Yai. I went to Phuket with Sui and Su said she would meet up with us back in Phuket in a couple of days. For the last couple of hours of the ride to Phuket I was horribly depressed that my g/f had to go back to Hat Yai, plus I was concerned about the condition of her brother. 0nce we arrived in Phuket and took a taxi to Pa-Tong Beach I was over my sadness. It was Sao who put the smile on my face. I met Sao the very first time I came to Thailand and I spent most of my first days in Thailand with her. Sao is 25 (the day we arrived to see here was her birthday) very short, small, cute, and speaks exellent english. Sao feels like a sister to me because she is the only other girl I can say I love, besides my girlfriend. Don't worry I only love her as my friend. Once I got to Sao's appartment I took a cold shower (you have no idea how good this feels when you are in thailand) and passed out for an hour. Later that night we went out for some Khao poht (fried rice) and walked along the main strip of Pa Tong beach.
    It felt really great to see Sao again, I hadn't seen her in nearly a year. I love Pa Tong too. It is so beautiful there. If I ever get to live in Thailand it will be somewhere in Pa-Tong. The next day Sui, Sao, and I just spent the day being lazy about the apartment. We didn't want to do a lot because we were waiting for Su to come back. We hung out at Sao's places for a bit and then went to sleep on the beach, then came back to the apartment and slept some more before we went for another walk along the main strip.
    Su came back to Pa-Tong on the 13th. Her brother was fine, it was just a scratch. That day we went site seeing around a few Islands, forgot their names, then we went swiming around some waterfalls. At that point it started raining and we all got very cold. Since we were wet and freezing we went for a trip up to the hot springs. At the Hot Springs we ate some sum tum and rice. Best spicy sum tum I've every had. That was a really long day. after all that we went back to Sao's brother's house for some food. We slept early that night.
    We spent the better part of the next day haning out at patong beach. I paid 1000 baht and went para-sailing above the ocean. Su, Sui and I spent the next 3 hours swiming. Sao refused to get out in the sun because she didn't want to get any darker. Thai's are always so afraid of getting too dark. I rented two jet skies and finally Sao came out from hiding to ride with me. The Next day we did the exact same thing except for in the evening we all went out to see the Phuket Fantasea show.
    Now comes the painful part. We had to say goodbye to Sao becuase I had to go back to Hat Yai to get ready to go home. I had a very hard time saying good bye to sao, and then the next day I had an even harder time saying good bye to Su.
    Back in Bangkok I had dinner again with Nop and then was on my way back home. Now I am home and this is my first night back to work. I am having the worst time adjusting. All I can think about is going back to Thailand. I keep watching thai kareaoke VCDs and calling Su and Sao. I wish there was a way for me to go live and work there now. If I had bad judgement I'd buy a one way ticket now and forget everying here.

Well that's about most of it minus some details here and there. Hope you enjoyed reading about it.

~Doug
    He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Thanks
    I enjoyed your story, It's good you have a good Thai friend at the airport, it's interesting how when in Thailand, complete strangers become friends very quickly. Sorry to here about your girlfriends brother having that accident, but I hope your girlfriend payed or atleast offered to pay you back that 1,500 Baht for the return bus ticket, as I consider that her resposibility to get back to see her brother, not yours. If she not do this, I feel she thinks of you as just a free meal ticket.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I hope your girlfriend payed or atleast offered to pay you back that 1,500 Baht for the return bus ticket, as I consider that her resposibility to get back to see her brother, not yours. If she not do this, I feel she thinks of you as just a free meal ticket.
    LoL paul I knew you would say something like that. Frist of all, she didn't even ask me for the money but I know that she only makes 4,000 baht a month so I wanted to help her out. She wouldn't have even been on the bus to phuket if it wern't for me. How could she pay me back when she gives all of her money to her family?

Mai pen rai

You are right, it is nice that you can meet someone for a few hours every 6 months and have them become your friend.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts
    Doug

Nice enjoyable report of your trip, I recognize so many of my own feelings in your story. I have a Thai sister too that I talk with every day and will be seeing her again the week after next

As for the 1,500 baht - I agree 100% with your second posting, how could anyone expect repayment

Thanks
    Hi! I enjoyed reding your story very much, wish I had the chance to go back for a while...
    @guava: Թ觪ͺ?

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]How could she pay me back when she gives all of her money to her family?
    well, I think you are too generous, I can well afford to pay that meager amount, but I would still let her pay at least half, just so she proves to me, she not just want me for money, after all if she was with a Thai guy on the same income, he could not afford to support her family as well as his. Her family could budget a little better this month. Part of the reason I don't believe in supporting Thai families like you, is my parents were relatively poor, and I had responsibilities to buy my parents a house and set them up so they not have to live in poverty, I don't think it is a crime to be poor as I have been there, and if you have to live in a tent so what it's shelter, that's how I started off, I sacrificed and I think the Thai people should sacrifice for you to.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]I think the Thai people should sacrifice for you to.
    Well If it puts your mind at ease, paul, you will be happy to know that she has bought me clothing several times. Most mornings when I wake up in Thailand she has already gone out to buy me some breakfast, which was paid for out of her pocket. She's not the only one who gets the "free meal ticket" in this realationship.

I don't support her family, nor do I support her. I do sometimes send money to her to ease the strain of living, but I don't send her more than I can afford to, just a modest amount. It's so easy for me to earn money. What I earn in one day is what she earns in one month

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]Well If it puts your mind at ease, paul, you will be happy to know that she has bought me clothing several times. Most mornings when I wake up in Thailand she has already gone out to buy me some breakfast, which was paid for out of her pocket.
    Quote[/b] ]she only makes 4,000 baht a month
    Quote[/b] ]What I earn in one day is what she earns in one month
    Yes that has satisfied me, she is not a sponge and I suppose she does her best on a limited income, but I do think her family should, start pulling there weight to reduce the burden on her.
    Now I'm worried about you, I have been to the USA many times, and found although it is cheaper to live there than Europe, if you just earn 4,000 baht per day, which would be a minimal wage job in Australia you would not live all that comfortable in the USA your self. You need to think about your own future, I know if I was on that sort of income and had to buy a home in Sydney, I would be lucky to get a loan for a 35 year old 1 bedroom unit in the poorer western suburbs of Sydney Australia. you need to factor in do you really earn that much, more than her when you factor in the cost of living between Thailand and the USA. I'm worried you are living for the day, and not thinking long term. If you own your own home and have a retirement nest egg, you have no problem on that income, but every dollar you waist today, is a dollar that will not compound, to give you a comfortable life latter. You don't want to end up in the gutter, when your 55 years old because you fell into a dept trap. You go to Thailand 2 times a year well, to me that must make you a good saver, for six months and a big spender for the few weeks in Thailand, Just think, that 1,500 baht you spent that day, after compounding for 30 years would be equivalent to 10,000 baht at today's value in retirement. Just be care full of your spending habits, as you don't want to end up your self in poverty in your future, if this relationship does not work out long term, like what happened to me and my Thai girlfriend. remember unless your already asset wealthy a minimum of 30% of your income should be invested into either your home or retirement investment as part of a yearly budget, then after you pay your other living expenses, you can afford to waist as much as you like on entertainment such as going to Thailand, now can you really afford to pay that 1,500 baht or could she have sacrificed for you and both your long term future together and stayed with you for the rest of the trip, considering her brother was only in a minor accident, and she would see him in a few days any way. Don't you think she should have put you in just as much priority as her brother, as you have limited time in Thailand, and every hour you spend with her is limited to a few weeks a year, while she can see her brother almost every day of the year. For this reason I'm disappointed in the way your girlfriend has treated you, not only has she effected your long term future financially, she has reduced your valuable time together and put you in second place behind the rest of her family by leaving you, to see her brother who was in only a minor accident, don't you think she could just have chatted with him on the phone every day instead, like you do from the USA for the six moths you not see her, as that's what she would do if you got injured in the USA just chat to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts
    Quote[/b] ]then after you pay your other living expenses, you can afford to waist as much as you like on entertainment such as going to Thailand,
    My oh my oh my first time I saw going to Thailand called a waste of money

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]My oh my oh my first time I saw going to Thailand called a waste of money
    Sorry Correction, going to Thailand is not a waist of money. What I should of said it is justifiable to spend the rest of your income on what you like, even if it is a waist of money, to me smoking is a waist of money. Going to Thailand is a life experience, that's what every one needs to feel alive, what I'm trying to say you can do both go to Thailand on a budget, still live a little but not overspend and think about your future as well.

Thread Information