PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Peanut allergy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut allergy

Thanks

Notice!

Hello there,

I am travelling to Thailand next week for cycle touring but I am concerned about my peanut allergy. The allergy can be
    deadly if I eat just one small bit of a peanut or the oil. As peanuts are a key ingredient in Thai cuisine I would like to print out a card that I can show people when I order food.... I know it seams crazy but it could save my life as I am travelling alone! I know a lot of people know English however I will be cycling to very remote areas of Thailand where people will not know English.

So I was wondering if some kind soul out there could perhaps help me by translating some English text into Thai? As the Internet cafe browsers prob don't show the
    characters properly could u perhaps send it as a picture? I will be cycling to China after Thailand so if you know the Chinese that would also be very helpful!

"IMPORTANT! Please DO NOT serve me food with PEANUTS or PEANUT OILS as I have a deadly reaction!".

Thats the text... if u need to change it slightly then feel free but could you let me know what it says. I assume u can post pictures on the board... if not I can submit my email address.

Thank you greatly,

Neill
    (Scotland)

Thanks
    Go to our allergy page where you can listen to a thai speaker saying "I am allergic to nuts".

http://www.learningthai.com/allergic.html

There is a link at the bottom of that page that takes you to a printable version:

http://www.learningthai.com/allergic_print.html

Thanks
    Hi Mr_Hunter,

to be closer to Hunter's text
    "IMPORTANT! Please DO NOT serve me food with PEANUTS or PEANUT OILS as I have a deadly reaction!".

I would suggest something like this
    การประกาศสำคัญ
    gaan bpra-gaat sam-kan
    (important information)
    ผมแพ้ถั่วลิสงและนำมันถั่วลิสง ถ้าผมกินผมจะตาย อย่าใส่ถั่วลิสงหรือนำมันถั่วลิสงในอาหาร
    pom pae tua-li-song lae nam man tua-li-song taa pom gin pom ja dtai yaa sai tua-li-song reu nam man tua-li-song nai aa-haan
    I am allergic to peanuts and peanut oil if I eat it I will die. Don't put peanuts or peanut oil into my meal.

As i am no native thai speaker it would be nice if someone could verify or correct this if needed.

Thanks
    สำคัญมาก ! กรุณาอย่าเสริฟอาหารที่มีส่วนผสมของถั่วลิสง หรือน้ำมันถั่วลิสงให้กับผม เพราะผมแพ้ถั่วลิสง ซึ่งอาจจะทำให้ผมถึงแก่ความตายได้ ถ้าผมรับประทานมันลงไป

For Chinese version; I will send to you via mail later in .gif file that you can print it out.

Thanks
    Brilliant! I will try it out at local Thai take-away!

Thanks for the link on the thai speaker! Thats fantastic!

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers,

Neill

Thanks
    annotation:
    alone did a great job with the translation and it's of course the one to use for your card.
    (mine sounds ,after reading it again, rather like an attempt to protest against using peanut ingredients in food in general.):O

Thanks

Re: Peanut allergy

Quote Originally Posted by alone View Post
    สำคัญมาก ! กรุณาอย่าเสริฟอาหารที่มีส่วนผสมของถั่วลิสง หรือน้ำมันถั่วลิสงให้กับผม เพราะผมแพ้ถั่วลิสง ซึ่งอาจจะทำให้ผมถึงแก่ความตายได้ ถ้าผมรับประทานมันลงไป
    Hi there...

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out - we're heading to Thailand, and my brother is very allergic to peanuts (so the above is very helpful!), and also shellfish and fish. Could anyone tell me how to adapt the above sentence to allow for this?

Thanks so much to anyone that responds

Thanks

Two points: Firstly if you are fatally allergic to peanuts, fish and shellfish I seriously doubt that you should be going to Thailand. Secondly if you are committed to going there and eating Thai food, the notice in Thai script should be more strongly worded than its English equivalent. ie it should emphasise that you will not just get sick but will actually die if you eat any of those foods. The need for emphasising the fatal consequences arises from the fact that Thais tend not to take allergies seriously. Thats a generalisation of course but you only need one careless food handler to ruin your holiday and the "mai pen rai" approach is prevalent everywhere. I suggest something like:

"Danger!! Do not give me any peanuts, fish or shellfish or I will die!! I have a fatal allergy to even very small amounts of those foods. Please be carefull!"

Enjoy your holiday.
    Last edited by nam phyyng; 06-02-09 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
    น้ำผึ้ง

Thanks

It would also be useful to learn what Thai foods are cooked together.

If you have a peanut allergy I wouldn't advise eating Hoy Tod because they are usually cooked on the same plate as Pad Thai. Visa versa I wouldn't eat a Pad Thai with a shellfish allergy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    "Danger!! Do not give me any peanuts, fish or shellfish or I will die!! I have a fatal allergy to even very small amounts of those foods. Please be carefull!"
    อันตราย!! ห้ามเสิร์ฟอาหารที่มีส่วนผสมของ ถั่วลิสง, น้ำมันถั่วลิสง, ปลา, หรืออาหารทะเลทุกชนิด เพราะผมแพ้ถั่วลิสงและอาหารทะเล ถ้าผมรับประทานเข้าไปเพียงเล็กน้อย อาจถึงแก่ความตายได้

Be avoid these foods, peanut is usually used as an ingredient.
    - every kind of noodle foods
    - Pad Thai (ผัดไทย)
    - Som Tum (ส้มตำ, papaya salad)
    - Yum (ยำ, every kind of Thai salads)
    - Musmun curry (or Mussaman, Massaman) (แกงมัสมั่น, spicy Muslim curry)

I am concerning about a fish sauce. Thais don't like to use some salt in their foods, but a fish sauce. Does it has an effect to you?

Thread Information