PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Phuket area declared open for tourists
    Thanks

Gor Gai

Statement from Phuket.com:

Phuket Island and the surrounding coastal areas, including Krabi, Phi Phi and Khao Lak were exposed to the Tsunami which hit on the morning of December 26th. There was extensive damage to beachfront hotels and sadly many casualties. Our heartfelt condolences go out to those who have been affected.

While urgent and immediate relief efforts go on, in severely affected areas like Khao Lak and Phi Phi Island, it is important to note there are areas of the coastline in Phuket and Krabi provinces that remain almost untouched; with many resorts operating at, or near, normal levels. In some areas, tourists who were unaffected and whose accommodation remains intact have decided to stay on. As each day passes, more and more people are out swimming, sunbathing and making the most of their remaining holiday. At Patong Beach in Phuket, where the beachfront was badly hit, much of the entertainment area was operating in time for the New Year's Eve celebrations.

Now, as the extensive clean up operation progresses and everyone works together to help with disaster relief and re-construction, many travel associations and industry experts are turning their attention to the longer term economic problems that will arise and encouraging visitors not to cancel reservations. Most hotels and resorts are operating normally, beaches look better than ever, and many restaurants are open for business as usual.

So, please read the up to date status reports we have gathered, look at the photos and make your own decision. Thousands of Thai nationals earn their living from tourism and once the immediate impact is over, survivors face not only the grief of their losses, but also unemployment with no income to sustain their families.

By coming and contributing to the local economy you will be doing something useful and constructive and still be having a wonderful holiday in one of Thailand's most scenic destinations.

Please Note: Koh Samui and Pattaya are NOT affected, as they are in the Gulf of Thailand on the east coast of southern Thailand. On the west coast, Krabi has been almost untouched.

--Phuket.com 2005-01-05
    \"I touch the future. I teach.\"

Thanks
    Thanks for this update, although I have no intention of cancelling my visit it's good to hear what's happening.

All the best.

Thanks

so happy!

Thank you very much for posting this here. I live in Australia and have only just recently been to Phuket, Thailand for my first ever visit to Thailand. I know here where I live, there is a lot of fear about returning to Thailand, particularly as so many are afraid of the diseases that might be going around. I am doing my best to educate the people around me that one of the best things they can do is to go back and support the economy of Phuket and other areas of Thailand, so that those who were fortunate enough to have not been injured in the Tsunami tragedy are able to continue to live healthily with an income, so that they wont be in the position of having a depressed immune system and contract such diseases.

I completely enjoyed my holiday in Phuket and meeting many Thai people and I feel heartbroken that one of my most dearest friends now is without a job (and may stay that way for quite a while) as there are so few tourists to share around!

The tsunami's were a tragedy and devastating to many people. But, lets hope that we do not allow it to become any more devastating to those who are left behind!

Thanks

Thread Information