PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Just wondering

Thread: Just wondering

Thanks
    In 1985 I traveld for the first time to Thailand and coninued to do so on the years to come, until about 5 years ago that I made Thailand my new home. I feel at home, I love my life here. Sometimes I only miss the weather differences from Europe, skiing in Switserland .... that kind of things.

In the first two years work and party took too much time and I did not took time to learn the Thai language. But that did not matter so much as I was living in a falang world called in Bangkok. In my way of adopting Thai land as my new home country I see this 2 years as a waste of time.

In the meanwhile I did learn to speak and understand Thai better, but I'm still not very good at it. IMO that is a big gap to overcome in making real friends. The language barriere is one that cut's you of from the inner circle. Away from the deeper life. And that's what I'm starting to miss or realizing that I need that contact for my long time view of life here in this wonderful country.

In the meanwhile I also making plans to move up north (away from busy Bangkok) and I'm thinking of Chiang Mai, Lamphun or Lampang. Any1 is or has been living there?

Chang Noi.

Thanks
    Good on you for making the move to Thailand, life should be an adventure and a change is as good as a holiday. I once had a Lebanese girlfriend in Australia, and her family had been living in Australia for 30 years, but in that time her parents had never learnt to speak English as they only mixed and worked for Lebanese.
    The big problem is language's are very hard to learn when you get older, unless you have a natural cognitive ability towards language skills.

Thanks
    I live in Yasothorn, a very rural area in the Esan. I also don't speak Thai very well even though Thailand has been my home for seven years. I spend most of my time travelling for my job and never spend too long in Thailand, to my great disappointment, and always have to start over on learning the language each time I return home. I also feel left out when it comes to conversations. Other than myself, the only people I've met in Yasothorn who speak English are my wife, an Iranian friend and the occasional missionary. Even my children don't speak English because I'm not home enough to teach them! If you're going to move out of Bangkok, I strongly recommend working on speaking Thai. I really like living outside Bangkok and would encourage you to do so if you can. I consider Bangkok an international city, but here in the country, I feel I can experience the Thai culture much better. And I love it! Having visited about thirty countries and living for years in several, I still find Thailand the best place to be.

Thread Information